We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Food-Safe Tek Attempt Options

brazilman
#1 Posted : 7/15/2018 1:25:06 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Hey guys!

So I'm doing this tek for my first extraction: https://www.dmt-nexus.me...aspx?g=posts&t=30501

I THINK I screwed up at the "Mix the vinegar with excess sodium carb, spread it on a plate and let it dry" phase, possibly too much sodium carb, maybe too dry, too tall a solution, the point is it formed a hard solid rock that I just couldn't really break and when I tried to pull with ethanol, well the result doesn't look promising.

So my attempt to fix it is, I added water to soften up that sodium carb rock, managed to break it much better. Then I added an equal amount of ethanol, mixed, waited, filtered, left it in a glass while I wait for the first pull attempt to evap. The idea was to let the water evaporate and then pull again and filter with just the ethanol, to avoid too much contamination. The resulting liquid is much darker than with the first pull attempt and a bunch of crystals formed at the bottom of the liquid, as sediment. I'm guessing the crystals are sodium carbonate crystals. But I'm a noob so what do I know... So my basic question is... well first, can I still hope to extract dmt from this liquid? Second, the dmt should be dissolved in the ethanol and NOT be forming any sediment... right? Can this crystalized sediment be discarded?

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

brazilman
#2 Posted : 7/15/2018 1:36:43 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Of note is that this liquid forms three layers when at rest. The bottom is a crystal-like sediment. Then there are two liquid layers, the top one being a little more transparent.

pastanostra
#3 Posted : 7/16/2018 12:02:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Can you plz provide us a pic of what you have actually ?

downwardsfromzero
#4 Posted : 7/16/2018 11:53:01 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Pics would definitely help.

First you need to separate off the liquids and rinse the solid with a bit more alcohol.

I think your two phases will probably mix into one, although isopropanol is immiscible with concentrated sodium carbonate solution so maybe that applies with ethanol to some extent.

Anyhow, you then need to evaporate down your liquid. It will probably throw down more crystals of sodium carbonate so I think it's best just to dry it out as much as you can then rinse - and grind - several times with dry alcohol to recover your resin.

(I've found sodium carbonate and alcohol to be a bit fiddly if you let it...)

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

brazilman
#5 Posted : 7/16/2018 4:32:03 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I'll just finish the evap and give the ethanol pull/filter a try. I didn't really know much about what to expect before so whatever happens, this was a learning experience, helped me get used to this stuff. I'll be trying another extraction next week with sligthly better equipment, a little more MHRB, and make sure to take pictures at all the various steps.

skoobysnax
#6 Posted : 7/16/2018 4:51:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

whatever doesn't dissolve in the ethanol filter it out. When you evap the ethanol you will most likely have a goo. Dissolve this again in alcohol (Isopropyl works too) stirring really well. some gunk will not dissolve. Let it settle a day or 2 and filter again. I use a funnel with cotton, decanting slowly. Coffee filters seem to let lime and sodium carb granuals pass through. The second or 3 third evap should be fine for changa. There are other cleanup steps people use but I usually just re-dissolve and filter. When the alcohol looks colored but free of solids it is good.

Generally I follow q21q21 tek up to the last part and I dry it after basing completely in a ceramic baking dish at 120F so the goodies don't boil off. You may need something like a mortar and pestle to grind everything up.
Marijuana, LSD, psilocybin, and DMT they all changed the way I see
But love's the only thing that ever saved my life - Sturgill Simpson "Turtles all the Way Down"

Why am I here?

brazilman
#7 Posted : 7/16/2018 5:49:39 PM
DMT-Nexus member

skoobysnax wrote:
When you evap the ethanol you will most likely have a goo. The second or 3 third evap should be fine for changa.

I really dislike the idea of changa, I want to be able to vaporize it, which to me seems it would require something more crystaline (for ease of manipulation).

dreamer042
#8 Posted : 7/16/2018 6:18:15 PM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

No matter how much you clean it up, this tek will not yield crystalline material, at best you may get a semi-solid, sticky wax. If your intention is vaporization, get some naphtha.
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca

brazilman
#9 Posted : 7/16/2018 7:05:57 PM
DMT-Nexus member

dreamer042 wrote:
No matter how much you clean it up, this tek will not yield crystalline material, at best you may get a semi-solid, sticky wax. If your intention is vaporization, get some naphtha.

From the pictures in the thread it seemed pretty crystalinne to me, a bit oily maybe but fine(?). That being said, I have thought about this issue and was thinking I might need some naphta. Can I simply substitute the final ethanol pull for a naphta pull while keeping everything else in this tek the same? Is this "semi-solid, sticky wax" completely unsuitable for vaporizing?

dreamer042
#10 Posted : 7/16/2018 11:47:23 PM

Dreamoar

When impure there will be enough soda carb contam to give you a fairly solid waxy material which is what you see in endlessness' original post. This will leave a lot of nasty residue behind if you attempt to vaporize it. If you repeatedly go back and forth between acid and base very carefully decanting and filtering in each phase, you can purify the material to a significant degree, but due to the properties of DMT in ethanol, this product is basically the consistency of a (very sticky) oil making it difficult to weigh and load into a vaporization device. Ethanol extract is best infused into herbal material for easy administration.

You can use isopropyl alcohol or acetone and get a waxy material that should be suitable for vaping. If you use naphtha you can just freze precipitate lovely crystals that are perfect for vaping.
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

brazilman
#11 Posted : 7/17/2018 12:04:23 AM
DMT-Nexus member

dreamer042 wrote:
You can use isopropyl alcohol or acetone and get a waxy material that should be suitable for vaping. If you use naphtha you can just freze precipitate lovely crystals that are perfect for vaping.

The rest of the tek can stay the same though?

brazilman
#12 Posted : 7/17/2018 2:46:53 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Forget it, I'm giving up on this tek.

dreamer042
#13 Posted : 7/17/2018 4:20:32 AM

Dreamoar

Would be a shame to have wasted all that effort.

Did you ever finish evapping and pull back into fresh ethanol and filter?

If not, do that.

Then take your filtered ethanol and evap it onto some plant material. Maybe something like a blend of chamomile, passionflower, and mint which should all be easily available as herbal teas, or whatever combination of herbs you have available that is pleasant to smoke.

To make it easy, just calculate the amount of herbs from your starting bark weight. For example, if you did 50 grams of bark do a half gram of herbs, if you did 25 grams of bark do 250 mg of herbs. Assuming an average 2% yield, this should give you roughly a 2:1 DMT to herb ratio. This will be moar than sufficient to kick you into the depths of hyperspace with a large toke or two.

Fill a bowl, enjoy!

Then maybe look into picking up some naphtha and working cyb's tek to get you a nice jar of shiny crystals on your next go round.

brazilman
#14 Posted : 7/17/2018 4:46:47 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
Did you ever finish evapping and pull back into fresh ethanol and filter?

Yes.

Quote:
Then take your filtered ethanol and evap it onto some plant material.

Well, I'm not really a smoker, but I suppose I could do that.