We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Separating Harmaline/Harmine (and THH?) Options

endlessness
#1 Posted : 10/30/2009 3:11:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

(couldnt find a propper thread about this, if there is, sorry)

One can separate Harmine and Harmaline due to their difference in pKa

Harmine pKa: 7.7
Harmaline pKa: 9.8

This means as the pH raises, first harmine will precipitate, and after harmaline.

According to this thread, at pH 8.75 , one will have precipitated 92% of Harmine and only 8% of the harmaline..

Now two questions I have: Considering one doesnt have a pH meter, could sodium bicarbonate be added to precipitate the harmine, and then continue adding sodium carbonate to precipitate the rest of the harmaline? What pH can be reached with sodium bicarbonate?

The other question is: Is there any viable way of separating THH? Any info on pKa or solubility in different solvents?

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Phlux-
#2 Posted : 11/4/2009 2:51:45 AM

The Root

Chemical expertSenior Member

The xtal structure changes alot if precipping harmine at such a high ph - at 7 loads comes out and it comes out pure check out my tek - i did 2 ph changes to get the harmine out - 2 different purities with visibly different xtals.
http://dmt-nexus.me/foru....aspx?g=posts&t=5749
antrocles wrote:
...purity of intent....purity of execution....purity of experience...

...unlike the "blind leading the blind". we are more akin to a group of blind-from-birth people who have all simultaneously been given the gift of sight but have no words or mental processing capabilites to work with this new "gift".

IT IS ONLY TO THE EXTENT THAT WE ARE WILLING TO EXPOSE OURSELVES OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO ANNIHILATION THAT WE DISCOVER THAT PART OF OURSELVES THAT IS INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Quote:
‹Jorkest› the wall is impenetrable as far as i can tell

Quote:
‹xtechre› cheese is great

He who packs ur capsules - controls your destiny.

Infundibulum
#3 Posted : 11/4/2009 3:16:52 AM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

@endlessness,

In theory yes, one can add sodium bicarbonate to reach a pH of ~8.5 and precipitate harmine, then add sodium carbonate to boost pH and precipitate harmaline. It should work in practise.

The only complication is that sodium carbonate/sodium bicarbonate mixtures form buffer solutions which resist pH changes (see attached paper). This should not be a problem, it only implies that more sodium carbonate will be required after the harmine precipitation.

As of THH, there is no info on its pKa, but we know its XlogP to be 1.9, so it can be precipitated as the freebase. What SWIM has been dreaming of doing (but never got the time/mood/materials) is to extract caapi, precipitate harmine and then THH. For some reason he believes (belief = unsubstantiated opinionRazz) that THH's pKa is higher than harmine's. He may be way wrong however, if harmine and THH have similat pKas then it is not possible to separate them via selective precipitation.

(would be nice if someone with relatively pure THH could roughly determine a pH value at which THH starts precipitating...! The community would benefit massively)

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

endlessness
#4 Posted : 11/7/2009 1:56:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

can one separate THH by its melting point? How would be a practical way of doing it? Apparently according to this interesting publication, the melting point of THH is significantly lower (199 degrees, or in TIHKAL 190), compared to the info I find on harmine and harmaline elswhere which seems to have melting point over 250 degrees

btw, it works perfectly to separate harmine and harmaline by just throwing sodium bicarbonate first to crash out harmine, and after filtering, putting more sodium carbonate.. The nice thing is no need to be exact with carbonate and neither with bicarbonate, just throw them in, as bicarbonate wont raise the pH more than necessary, and then later just throw carbonate till alkaloids crash out and then some more to make sure

On a side note, Phlux says that some of the harmaline doesnt crash straight away together with the harmaline that precipiitates soon after adding the carbonate, that some takes longer, some hours,... I didnt know so I was quick and few minutes later already filtered, maybe I lost some (though yield seems good anyways, but cant measure as its still drying after clean up), so you guys should be more patient,

Infundibulum
#5 Posted : 11/7/2009 7:09:30 PM

ModeratorChemical expert

endlessness wrote:
On a side note, Phlux says that some of the harmaline doesnt crash straight away together with the harmaline that precipiitates soon after adding the carbonate, that some takes longer, some hours,... I didnt know so I was quick and few minutes later already filtered, maybe I lost some (though yield seems good anyways, but cant measure as its still drying after clean up), so you guys should be more patient,

That makes some sense; harmine freebase is much more water insoluble, whereas harmaline is very slightly water soluble (all these based in XlogP values). This may account for the extra time required for harmaline to precipitate.

endlessness
#6 Posted : 11/8/2009 11:22:44 AM

DMT-Nexus member

someone here in the forum mentioned that THH doesnt precipitate in a manske... Can anyone with some THH check this by redissolving some in water and saturating with salt to see if it precipitates? That would be a very easy way of separating THH from the rest, just manske first, to get harmine and harmaline out, then freebase the salt-saturated harmine/harmaline-free liquid, and only THH would crash out

Eranik
#7 Posted : 11/22/2010 3:46:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

endlessness wrote:
someone here in the forum mentioned that THH doesnt precipitate in a manske... Can anyone with some THH check this by redissolving some in water and saturating with salt to see if it precipitates? That would be a very easy way of separating THH from the rest, just manske first, to get harmine and harmaline out, then freebase the salt-saturated harmine/harmaline-free liquid, and only THH would crash out

I don't have THH, but I'm going to try what you said and examine the freebase yield, THH is the main alkaloid in rue after Harmaline and Harmine, so if anything precipitates out of the "salt-saturated harmine/harmaline-free liquid" it will be nearly pure THH. I'll report in a few days.
Disclaimer: All of these posts are of a fictitious nature only. Their author is known to be a pathological attention-seeking ADHD liar and he/she should NOT be taken seriously in any way. Do not trust anything he/she says because it is simply untrue.

Infundibulum
#8 Posted : 11/22/2010 4:02:23 PM

ModeratorChemical expert

Eranik wrote:
endlessness wrote:

I don't have THH, but I'm going to try what you said and examine the freebase yield, THH is the main alkaloid in rue after Harmaline and Harmine, so if anything precipitates out of the "salt-saturated harmine/harmaline-free liquid" it will be nearly pure THH. I'll report in a few days.

It'll be hard to find any THH in peganum harmala using kitchen chemistry. As far as I know there are only traces of it, if any.

If you 're willing to do that then you may start with b.caapi, which is a better source of THH. Also, i'm not sure how you'd do that from what you've described. It doesn't sound right at all.

You'll have to do A/B on caapi and pull the freebase alkaloids with DCM or chloroform. You then need to salt them back from DCM or chloroform using HCl or vinegar and evaporate it to get their salt forms. Then you'll have a cleaner preparation to play with.

gibran2
#9 Posted : 11/22/2010 4:38:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expertSenior Member

Infundibulum wrote:
...If you 're willing to do that then you may start with b.caapi, which is a better source of THH. Also, i'm not sure how you'd do that from what you've described. It doesn't sound right at all.

You'll have to do A/B on caapi and pull the freebase alkaloids with DCM or chloroform. You then need to salt them back from DCM or chloroform using HCl or vinegar and evaporate it to get their salt forms. Then you'll have a cleaner preparation to play with.

Non-polar solvents aren’t needed to pull relatively clean alkaloids from b. caapi. Take a look at this thread.

And as you already stated, caapi is a much better source of THH than rue. (I seem to remember reading that caapi can sometimes contain more THH than harmine?)
gibran2 is a fictional character. Any resemblance to anyone living or dead is purely coincidental.

Infundibulum
#10 Posted : 11/22/2010 5:06:05 PM

ModeratorChemical expert

gibran2 wrote:
Non-polar solvents aren’t needed to pull relatively clean alkaloids from b. caapi. Take a look at this thread.

And as you already stated, caapi is a much better source of THH than rue. (I seem to remember reading that caapi can sometimes contain more THH than harmine?)

Ah, yes - btw, excellent tek and pictures!

I'd go for solvents because I wouldn't be bothered waiting for all these precipitations to settle. Your approach is totally excellent though.