We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Michael Pollan - What It’s Like Tripping on the Most Potent Magic Mushroom Options

Bancopuma
#1 Posted : 6/8/2018 6:39:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I thought this may be of interest to some Nexians...author and science journalist Michael Pollan recounts going P. azurescens hunting with mycologist Paul Stamets and later consuming his harvest...the article features some interesting musings on why these mushrooms may contain psilocybin. A nice bit of writing.

https://www.theatlantic....t-magic-mushroom/561860/

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

soul-explorer
#2 Posted : 6/8/2018 7:49:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

he also just appeared on the JRE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz4CrWE_P0g

Orion
#3 Posted : 6/11/2018 8:42:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Just read the written report and currently listening to the podcast. Good stuff so far and very curious about azures and always have been. The paralysis thing is all that is stopping me from starting a spawn run and making an outdoor patch...

I was under the impression psilocybe cyanescens ans panaeolus cyanescens were about as potent as psilocybe azurescens, gram for gram?
Art Van D'lay wrote:
Smoalk. It. And. See.

jbark
#4 Posted : 6/14/2018 10:45:49 AM

DMT-Nexus member

A well written account - but, is it just me or does that sound like a really low dose...? I would have expected, given the buildup and the warning Stamets gives him (as well as the mere fact of the azures being the fungus consumed), a much more intense experience, and one characteristically different from that of cubes. Anyone else have experience with azures? I have always been curious and tried to start a wood patch years ago, but the spores I got were duds or past their due date...

Cheers,

JBArk
JBArk is a Mandelthought; a non-fiction character in a drama of his own design he calls "LIFE" who partakes in consciousness expanding activities and substances; he should in no way be confused with SWIM, who is an eminently data-mineable and prolific character who has somehow convinced himself the target he wears on his forehead is actually a shield.

dragonrider
#5 Posted : 6/14/2018 2:13:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

jbark wrote:
A well written account - but, is it just me or does that sound like a really low dose...? I would have expected, given the buildup and the warning Stamets gives him (as well as the mere fact of the azures being the fungus consumed), a much more intense experience, and one characteristically different from that of cubes. Anyone else have experience with azures? I have always been curious and tried to start a wood patch years ago, but the spores I got were duds or past their due date...

Cheers,

JBArk

They used to sell them in amsterdam. These where the first mushrooms that where officially banned there, because they where too powerfull. The dutch authorities applied a weird kind of logic: if they, by some obviously (and maybe deliberately) not very accurate method, where able to detect psilocin or psilocybin in a mushroom, then the mushroom would officially contain an illegal substance and would be banned. The azures where the only mushrooms that failed (or passed) this test and got banned.
Later on they banned all psycho-active mushrooms, just for being psycho-active mushrooms. Psycho-active sclerotia are fine now, but not the shrooms.

Anyway, before they got banned, i ate them a couple of times. I never experienced any paralysis, with them. Maybe they where growing a strain that didn't contain the mycotoxins responsible for those effects.
But they where very powerfull nevertheless. One gram of dried azures would be enough to make you hallucinate and see spectacularly weird things. I once saw my room fold in on itself in some impossible way that would have seriously freaked out even escher himself in how it defied 3-dimensional logic, after just one gram.

jbark
#6 Posted : 6/14/2018 2:34:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

dragonrider wrote:
jbark wrote:

Cheers,

JBArk

They used to sell them in amsterdam. These where the first mushrooms that where officially banned there, because they where too powerfull. The dutch authorities applied a weird kind of logic: if they, by some obviously (and maybe deliberately) not very accurate method, where able to detect psilocin or psilocybin in a mushroom, then the mushroom would officially contain an illegal substance and would be banned. The azures where the only mushrooms that failed (or passed) this test and got banned.
Later on they banned all psycho-active mushrooms, just for being psycho-active mushrooms. Psycho-active sclerotia are fine now, but not the shrooms.

Anyway, before they got banned, i ate them a couple of times. I never experienced any paralysis, with them. Maybe they where growing a strain that didn't contain the mycotoxins responsible for those effects.
But they where very powerfull nevertheless. One gram of dried azures would be enough to make you hallucinate and see spectacularly weird things. I once saw my room fold in on itself in some impossible way that would have seriously freaked out even escher himself in how it defied 3-dimensional logic, after just one gram.

Interesting... would you qualify them as distinct from cubes, or in any way different - or just stronger? IOW, would taking a high enough dose of cubes equal a given lower dose of Azures?

JBArk
JBArk is a Mandelthought; a non-fiction character in a drama of his own design he calls "LIFE" who partakes in consciousness expanding activities and substances; he should in no way be confused with SWIM, who is an eminently data-mineable and prolific character who has somehow convinced himself the target he wears on his forehead is actually a shield.

dragonrider
#7 Posted : 6/14/2018 2:56:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Well, they are not as clean as the copelandia cyanescens. They are definately more physical. They do have a bit of a muddy feel to them, like cubensis has. But they are definately distinct. I think they're closer to liberty caps. There's something very weird about them. I always found my experiences with them realy euphoric and pleasant, but also very weird and freaky. I had strong aural hallucinations with them, for instance. I would hear weird noises. Sometimes a high pitched carrier wave type of noise, wich i never had with cubensis. But also deep growling type of noises.

soul-explorer
#8 Posted : 6/30/2018 9:52:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Reading his book right now

https://www.amazon.de/Ch...scendence/dp/1594204225/

just started but so far a surprisingly good read for someone relatively deep into psychedelics already. learning interesting stuff, really well written.

Bancopuma
#9 Posted : 6/30/2018 12:03:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah I'm reading his book to and am really enjoying it so far, definitely an important and timely book.

null24
#10 Posted : 6/30/2018 6:24:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

Listened to Pollan's interview on NPR's Fresh Air. I feel he's a good spokesperson to introduce the concept and idea of psychedelic wellness to a population that is completely unfamiliar with it. A good step towards large scale de-stigmatization.
Quote:
Anyone else have experience with azures? I have always been curious and tried to start a wood patch years ago, but the spores I got were duds or past their due date...

&
Quote:
Well, they are not as clean as the copelandia cyanescens. They are definately more physical. They do have a bit of a muddy feel to them (etc.)

Up here in the US PNW. azzies and cyans are prolific. I don't have experience with azzies but have consumed cyans liberally. From what i understand, they are genetically almost identical and contain comparable chemical makeup.

Ive felt that the cyans seem to be about 1.5 to twice as potent by weight, are VERY visual with less body load than most cubes I've eaten. The lesser body load though may have to do with the fact that I've consumed less weight to reach a point of psychedelia that would take a larger dose of cubes to achieve.

Cyans are my favorites, but this year I'd like to get to the coast and collect some azzies. Also to collect some sho spore prints. I'll let y'all know in several months if there is success and will offer prints to spread the love and mycelium.
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*