We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Cymbalta-Tryptamine Contraindications Options

gn0sis
#1 Posted : 2/14/2008 9:50:23 PM
DMT-Nexus member

SWIM is bipolar and taking a couple medications but doesn't want to have to cut off entheogen use if at all possible (though SWIM certainly will if it is the responsible thing to do due to the dangers of drug contraindications). SWIM is on 75mg Lamictal and 30mg Cymbalta. SWIM has done just about everything with the Lamictal and hasn't had any problems nor did SWIM hear of any in SWIM's pre-use research. However, Cymbalta is a different story. SWIM is interested if there would be an interaction between it and tryptamine compounds (DMT, psilocybin/psilocin, etc.) or LSD--in short, with other serotogenic drugs with which an SNRI or SSRI might interact.

SWIM understands that Cymbalta is an SNRI, which shouldn't cause problems as far as SWIM can tell, but someone has told SWIM that it is an SSRI as well and SWIM knows that taking SSRIs with any serotogenic compounds, among which are the included tryptamines and LSD, is dangerous in that it could instigate Serotonin Syndrome. SWIM can't confirm that Cymbalta is an SSRI in addition to an SNRI from SWIM's research.

SWIM's question is this: is Cymbalta an SSRI as well, and if not (and even if so), is SWIM putting SWIMself in any immediate chemical danger from the drug interaction? Or should SWIM still avoid tryptamines (especially DMT) and LSD even with an SNRI? SWIM can't find any information on Cymbalta and recreational drug use contraindications. Ugh!

Your help is deeply appreciated. Peace!

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Garulfo
#2 Posted : 2/15/2008 11:57:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

SWIY is confusing between MAOI, tryptamines, LSD and SSRII.
Trptamines and LSD will trigger serotonin receptors and may trigger some more serotonin in the brain. That's not a big deal with DMT and a SNRI... without MAOI. But if SWIY would take a MAOI (like harmine/harmaline from Cappi or Syrian Rue), then SWIY would have more serotonin available due to the SNRI andd with the help of the MAOI, this serotonin could not be naturally degraded by enzymes (MAO). This 'could' lead to a serotoninergic syndrom (too much serotonin = too much power supply in the brain).

I know someone who was under light SSRI and had no problem with the DMT, maybe just a bit more sensitive.
LSD is quite different because it last much much longer which is not good I guess with a bipolar disease. DMT can drive you crazy, I mean REALLY crazy, impossible to think or associate thoughts, diskinesia etc... but it last 10 mn. Can't say if it would help or not a bipolar problem.

fanatic
#3 Posted : 2/16/2008 9:24:44 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Cymbalta (Duloxetine) is both an SSRI and an SNRI. As for contraindications with SNRI's I don't know but I have never had any problems when taking tryptamines in combination with SSRI's.

gn0sis
#4 Posted : 2/17/2008 7:55:49 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Thanks guys. I really appreciate it.