We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Sodium carbonate solubility in alcohol Options

Naabi
#1 Posted : 6/21/2018 9:30:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Greetings!!

My cat's been busy making crystals with the FASW method (BLAB), with very good results. This morning she used a 92% alcohol to retrieve some crystals that were stuck on the glass jar (after the final basification with sodium carbonate), they dissolved and she collected the alcohol on a selaed container. After a few hours, some white powder went to the bottom, apparently insoluble in the solution.
My question is, is this white powder sodium carbonate or freebase (maybe it mixed with the 8% water and therefore precipitated)? I read that sodium carbonate is insoluble in alcohol, although somewhat soluble in aquous solution of alcohol.

Thanks in advance and sorry for any grammar mistakes!

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

pastanostra
#2 Posted : 6/21/2018 10:23:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Sodium carbonate is not soluble in ethanol, where it is in water.
FB is not soluble in water, but it is in Ethanol Smile
You can look around amor fati tek on the wiki to see how FB can be washed using water & sodium carbonate.

Cheers

Naabi
#3 Posted : 6/22/2018 1:37:25 AM

DMT-Nexus member

pastanostra wrote:
Sodium carbonate is not soluble in ethanol, where it is in water.
FB is not soluble in water, but it is in Ethanol Smile
You can look around amor fati tek on the wiki to see how FB can be washed using water & sodium carbonate.

Cheers

Yes, I understand that, but if I don't use IPA and use a solution of water + alcohol (in this case is 92% alcohol and 8% water), which one would be soluble? Both? None?

pastanostra
#4 Posted : 6/22/2018 6:21:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

A bit of sodium carbonate may be pulled by the small amount of water, then your freebased alks + litlle sodium carbonate can washed with water.

Amor fati tek is inspiring : https://wiki.dmt-nexus.m...oach_to_Spice_Extraction