We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Could use some advice :) Options

cashewman1
#1 Posted : 11/4/2009 11:45:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi guys,
I just figured out this is the only place I will be able to post haha but at least I can finally ask my friends questions.

Included is also a small summary of what hes been doing, if anyone sees errors please let me know so I can tell him

Heres the the deal. My friend tried an A/B extraction (QT's Extraction tek for students) with about 30 g MHRB. My friend didnt get diddly from this 2 month attempt and was very discouraged.
Now my friend has finally found enough time to try again. He is trying nomans STB tek and wow it was already working wonders. He had about 26 g MHRB, 26 g Lye, and about 400 ml water. After letting it all mix together for a while he added in about 25 ml VMP naptha for the first pull. He took the initial 25 ml pull and put it in the freezer, the next morning he had some very pretty spice, needless to say it was very exciting.

Next he added another 25 ml naptha and repeated steps then put into seperatory funnel to remove. Unfortunately he was in a rush and added 25 ml naptha (that was heating up on magnetic stir plate and starting to boil so didnt want to leave it there any longer). to his extraction jar before he had finished removing the rest of naptha from the seperatory funnel. The seperatory funnel ended up getting clogged with debris due to some shady decanting. In an attempt to unclog the seperatory funnel he accidentally broke his valve that controls the rate of flow for the funnel, and in a fit of frustration dumped everything back into the extraction jar.

So now his extraction jar has 50 ml of warmish naptha sitting in it. He didnt think this would be a problem if he combined the second and third pulls of naptha together so was not very worried. He jimmy rigged his funnel valve so it was at least functional and proceeded to remove the 50 ml naptha from solution.

After trying to freeze precip on it I believe he realized it was too dilute, so now hes trying to evaporate some naptha off the top so he can refreeze precip, seeing as it is the 2nd and thrid pull combined he wants to ensure he can get it to work because he believes it will contain a good amount of spice in it.

He also did another pull after that with around 20 ml warm naptha and freeze preciptated, there were crystals in the morning but still non in the jar containing the second and thrid pull combined.
He is planning on continuing to do small pulls until no more crystals show up.

Now, the questions

1. Is there way to make the naptha quickly evaportate from his combined 2nd and third pull? It seems as if it is taking a while, he is skeptical of applying heat in fear of damaging product and does not want to transfer it to a different wider container, (In a 400 ml pyrex beaker right now).

2. After the freeze precip is over, Does he simply poor out all the naptha through a coffee filter into a seperate container to evaporate for extra crystals?

3. Does he Allow the crystals he currently has to dry out inside of collection jar after naptha is poured off or to dry out on coffee filters, Just a little confused at this part. he Was planning on dumping naptha and leaving containers upside down to dry out in order to drip off excess naptha and oils.

I know this was a long post so thanks so much if you made it this far and please any incite would be helpful
Thanks everyone
I am here to restructure my priorities in a way to most benefit all

-Everything posted here is fantasy please do not misinterpret the posting of a role playing board for reality

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

endlessness
#2 Posted : 11/4/2009 11:53:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

1- Ventilation.. put some fan blowing next to it (either indirectly or straight to it put some thin cloth on top for dust not to fall in)

2- Yeah you can evap to see if there is still any crystals inside or you can reuse for more pulls

3-The turning upside down idea is good, then after one scrapes it and puts on top of coffee filter for full drying, opened to the air (no fan of course)

cashewman1
#3 Posted : 11/5/2009 12:23:29 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Ah ok thanks for clearing that up. He doesnt have a very good fan around so he has the jar sitting in the bathroom with the fan going and a 1 ply piece of tissue paper on top to protect it.

But he actually has one more questions which he forgot to ask.

After addition of warm naptha to the extraction jar it seems the their are three layers, not so much an emulsion but just three distinct layers.

First layer is brown, cotnaining the basified water and mhrb.
Second layer is clear, composed of the naptha,
Top layer is brown, it looks like a small layer of what should be underneath the naptha.

When the naptha is removed this layer is usually comes with it. The complete pull has little bits of brown debris in it but he usually just decants a few times into other containers until the brown bark layer does not follow it and it is clean naptha. Is this ok or should he change something so Its a distinct two layers, maybe add salt water and try and break it up like an emulsion?

once again, thanks for the input!

-Everything posted here is fantasy please do not misinterpret the posting of a role playing board for reality

endlessness
#4 Posted : 11/5/2009 12:29:56 AM

DMT-Nexus member

tissue paper may be too thick, maybe thats why evaporation is taking too long.. Use some porous cotton cloth instead..

Brown layer on top of naphtha? that sounds very strange... Can SWIY take a picture?

cashewman1
#5 Posted : 11/5/2009 1:31:37 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The tissue paper was only on top of it as of after you posted and told him to add something on top to catch debris. But he will definitely switch it out, he thought it might have been a little to thick, but his apartment is not wildly clean and wanted to be sure he didnt get a whole bunch of gunk in his pull jar (This actually happened in first extraction when acid base was tried and the spice basically had dirt all over it).
He will try and take a picture but it does not turn out well on camera phone, but he's at his Girlfriends right now and will borrow her camera and take a picture tomorrow to put up. Its not wildly concerning, it may be debris that is far less dense and is just floating to the top, always seems removable with decanting.
Tried to insert a crude drawing from paint but am not sure how to add images yet

Noman
#6 Posted : 11/5/2009 10:36:27 AM

DMT-Nexus member

cashewman1 wrote:
Now, the questions
1. Is there way to make the naptha quickly evaportate from his combined 2nd and third pull? It seems as if it is taking a while, he is skeptical of applying heat in fear of damaging product and does not want to transfer it to a different wider container, (In a 400 ml pyrex beaker right now).
2. After the freeze precip is over, Does he simply poor out all the naptha through a coffee filter into a seperate container to evaporate for extra crystals?
3. Does he Allow the crystals he currently has to dry out inside of collection jar after naptha is poured off or to dry out on coffee filters, Just a little confused at this part. he Was planning on dumping naptha and leaving containers upside down to dry out in order to drip off excess naptha and oils.

!. Put it in as wide a pan as possible with a fan blowing on it.

2. Yep. Or he reuses the naptha a few more times first.

3. Just shake the shit out of the jar and invert it over another bigger mouthed jar with a coffee filter in between and let it drip and come to room temp. Then spread out the coffeee filter and train a fan into the jar, once it's dry, scrape it as well as you can into the filter and stir the shit out of eveything until it's bone dry. You can keep the jar as is for another extraction, clean it out with a teeny bit of NP and dry that, or scrub the shit out of the inside with some MJ, mullien, parsely, or whatever.
That's the shit.

cashewman1
#7 Posted : 11/6/2009 12:25:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Alright!
he switched the combined pull of 2 and 3 into a glass baking pan and put a fan on it. Evaportation in about 10 minutes, muche effictivo. Unfortunately some spice evapped into pan as well but it is the same pan he plans on evaporating the used naptha in to obtain extra spice anyways so win win! Currently has first pull sitting inverted on top of a coffee filter with excess naptha and oily stuff dripping off, Once he sees it is someehwat more dry he is going to:
1. put a fan on the pull jar to completely dry it out
2. Scrape crystals onto coffee filter from before
3. Set coffee filter ontop of paper towel and leave in closet to completely dry out.

One question, Re use same coffee filter with crystals drying on it or use seperate filter for each pull jar? He doesnt know that it makes a difference so he will probably use sperate for each but thought it might be good to add all to one filter so the entirety of it could dry out together

Thanks for the help guys
very cool having tek author comment haha