We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Glass E-nail for smoking in dab rig Options

Scottie
#1 Posted : 6/16/2018 5:26:38 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Whats your thoughts on smoking with a glass e-nail ?

I've heard people say the metal e-nails are far better because the glass gets cold too quickly, but with the e-nail this wouldn't be an issue.

The set up is good i think.. It's filtering through water also, so i think the vapour with be smooth enough to take the whole dose in less hits. Ideally I'd only want to be taking one hit, I'm not a leather lunged hash smoker anymore haha. But I do use an ecig, so i think I'll be able to it no problems.

Also, I've never smoked dmt before. I'm just acquiring all the equipment i need for a successful go. I managed to get the set up from a friend.

I only have 700mg and really don't know when I'll be able to get more so i want to waste as little as possible while perfecting my smoking method.

Cheers!

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

atomu235
#2 Posted : 6/16/2018 7:55:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

For me personally e-nail is the way to go. I'm using Atmost Studio Rig. It can be gotten for ~$40 on eBay.

https://www.atmosrx.com/...io-rig-attachment-system

It comes with Ti nail and a ceramic chamber as default (you can actually use the ceramic chamber for vaping DMT easily, not just dry leaf as they advertise). Ceramic nail is extra but it is superb for vaping. You get no burn, great heat retention and temp control using a good mod.

I figured out custom TCR for these nails using a regular IR thermometer. Trial and error... Nails are ~500 TCR and ceramic chamber is ~200 in my case. Heating @ 25W, takes 2-3 x10s cycles to reach 200C.

Ps. I tried glass twice but both nails broke way too quick. It's just as good as ceramic with taste and once you control temp the heat retention is no issue. Sticking to ceraminc now for durability.

Be inquisitive and always question things...

Scottie
#3 Posted : 6/16/2018 10:44:13 PM
DMT-Nexus member

That just screws onto a vape mod ?

That would be better than having the full rig set up to worry about it I think.

When I say glass, I'm sure it's actually quartz. My mates used it often for smoking shatter etc so I'm unsure how well it's going to be for the DMT.

When using a dap rig or the studio rig are you doing the full dose in the one hit ?

atomu235
#4 Posted : 6/17/2018 4:56:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes, screws onto any 510 mod. Super convenient and compact. It's better if the mod you're using is bulky so that it doesn't tip over as you put it down. You need TCR mode on your mod to get temp control.

You can easily get the full dose (40-50mg) in 1-2 hits using this setup. It usually takes me 2 hits. If I practice breathing beforehand for 10 or so minutes I can take the full dose in one hit.

Mitakuye Oyasin
#5 Posted : 6/18/2018 12:18:19 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I Love my Dr. Dabber Boost. Great for cannabis extract dabs. I've heard of others using it for Spice and liking it, although I've never tried that myself.
Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous.
— Terence McKenna

All my posts are hypothetical and for educational/entertainment purposes, and are not an endorsement of said activities. SWIM (a fictional character based on other people) either obtained a license for said activity, did said activity where it is legal to do so, or as in most cases the activity is completely fictional.

Scottie
#6 Posted : 6/18/2018 4:08:00 PM
DMT-Nexus member

How is it to smoke the vapour from it? is it harsh or is it a smooth hit?

I vape my ecig all day everyday and my friend who's on the DMT journey with me smokes a lot of weed

So I think our lungs should be good for it.

Going to mess around with what equipment we have at hand on small 10 -15mg till we get a feel for DMT, then I think I'll buy the studio attachment when we're ready for a breakthrough.

atomu235
#7 Posted : 6/18/2018 8:27:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

If it's harsh or not depends mostly on purity of the product and whether you burn it or not. With the ceramic bowl/nail it's as smooth as it gets as it's almost impossible to burn. Titanium can get harsh if the temp is too hot as it can easily burn DMT instead of vaporizing it.

DMT has a natural mothballs like aftertaste. It's a matter of getting used to. If you vape or smoke weed it'll be like a walk in the park. Taste only, not the effects... ;-P

some one
#8 Posted : 6/19/2018 12:18:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Nice one. So you get an entire hit in one go which is easily inhaled?
some = one | here = some | there = one

atomu235
#9 Posted : 6/19/2018 12:38:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Usually it takes me 2 hits. 1 hit if I practice deep breathing beforehand. I don't have the largest lungs capacity I reckon.

Scottie
#10 Posted : 6/20/2018 1:39:48 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Sounds really good. I hear a lot of people fail by not taking the third hit or struggle to get their dose because their smoking method is harsh.

I'll get this for sure, can get it for £65 in the UK. Good value if it's making the whole experience better

Aum_Shanti
#11 Posted : 7/14/2018 6:57:19 PM
DMT-Nexus member

To expand my horizon, I just bought an enail (G9), thought it's worth the 30 bucks for experimenting. But how exactly would one use it for a substance like DMT?

I mean the middle long heated part of the cup gets way hotter than the rest, even on the Ti-nail. So if I set a temp, that it doesn't burn at the middle pole, most substance just remains in a puddle around the nail and hardly evaporates at all, and that's basically it. Only if I use a tool and take some of the puddle around the pole and smear it on there it evaporates, but always only a tiny bit gets on the middle pole like that. So to vape like that the whole puddle needs eternity.

And if I set a higher temp, so that also the puddle around evaps, quite a lot of substance gets burnt at the pole.

What am I doing wrong here?

Unfortunately all the advices I could find online were for dabbing THC, and this is IMHO not applicable here.
I claim not that this is the truth. As this is just what got manifested into my mind at the current position in time on this physical plane. So please feel not offended by anything I say.

atomu235
#12 Posted : 7/28/2018 5:06:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Are you sure your vaporizer is fully functional? Looks like it may be faulty as it should easily reach temps for DMT vaporization...

The thing about these cheap e-nails is that most of them lack 510 port and seldom have any temp control. I tried one of these in the past and the experience was mediocre/poor. I burnt most of my product several times over. For best DMT vaporization you need constant temp ~200C deg. Best to confirm temps using a cheap IR thermometer.

These cheap G9 can reach >400C deg. That is way too high for DMT most cases (unless you have a good ceramic nail, a lot of practice and use Leidenfrost effect effectively).

I personally find a good 510 mod plus a good quality enail attachment most convenient.

Ps. It could also be a very bad heating coil design. I had one of those some time ago. The coil heated only the middle of the chamber with the rest of the enail being significantly cooler. Any oil I tried vaporizing was getting away from the enail hot spot and just splattering all over the remainder of the bowl. It went into trash after two tries.

Aum_Shanti
#13 Posted : 7/28/2018 6:38:07 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Quote:

Ps. It could also be a very bad heating coil design. I had one of those some time ago. The coil heated only the middle of the chamber with the rest of the enail being significantly cooler. Any oil I tried vaporizing was getting away from the enail hot spot and just splattering all over the remainder of the bowl. It went into trash after two tries.

That's exactly how the G9 is made. It has a heating element in the middle of the long thing. So there lies the problem. Thanks for pointing that out. Where are the heating elements in other 510 enails, which work? As then I could look for this detail next time.

For TC and everything worked fine with the G9, also is a 510 attachment. That's why I wondered why it so doesn't work...

So thanks again!
I claim not that this is the truth. As this is just what got manifested into my mind at the current position in time on this physical plane. So please feel not offended by anything I say.

atomu235
#14 Posted : 7/30/2018 4:04:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

You wouldn't know where/how the heating element works unless you take it apart. Some have a metal coil (Ti, SS, Kanthal, Ni etc) while some use a ceramic heating rod. There are many, many designs.

I personally use the below. Works like a charm.

karloff
#15 Posted : 9/18/2018 3:20:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Please I need some advice on this subject.
After years using a DIY machine I recently decided moving to dabbing with an E-nail. The reason is that I want to have more control over the exact dose. With the machine, I was never sure if I smoked all the load or there was something left in the steel wool.
So, I purchased this 100w vaping mod:

https://des.gbtcdn.com/u.../03/1496451444292188.jpg

and this dab rig and enail with a 510 rod to attach to the mod:

https://static.shoplight...t-vapes-g9-510-enail.jpg

The problem is that I almost went krazy with the different heating modes the mod has (VW, CCW, TC, TCR, CCT and Bypass).

I read a lot of tutorials about the meaning of these modes and I though I had understood them enough to get the ball rolling, but reality is sometimes too far from theory: at first I tried to configure one of the TC modes to be able to set a desired temperature (ideally, about 450º F), but for some reason the coil never got hot enough even to vaporize some of the dmt, and I was afraid to set higher temperatures and damage the mod.

To make the story short: after some more tests I got the best results in CCW mode, where you have control on the wattage. I set the mod to 70 watts and it worked quite well, in fact more eficiently than all my experiences with the homemade Machine.

But I am very concerned about if I have set the optimal configuration or on the other hand I could damage the mod or the rig after some use.
So please, if anyone has some experience with this or similar configuration, any advise will be welcome.

Also, I am not doing a proper dabbing, instead I load the DMT when it is cool and then I press the mod button and wait few seconds to see the heater in hot red, and then take a deep hit. I do this because the heater is ON for 10 seconds max and then it goes OFF despite of keep pressing the button... you have to press again to start a new cycle. So I cannot do the two things at the same time: dabbing the spice and control the heat cycles.

Some extra info that could be useful:

-The mod has a maximum power of 100 watts.
-The G9 rig has a ceramic resistance (heater) that reads about 0.34 ohms in the mod display (sometimes 0.33, sometimes 0.35).
-In the mod, the TC modes must be configured to the type of resistance: Nicle, Titanium, NiFe and Stainless Steel. Since there is no "Ceramic type", I selected "Stainles Steel" in my tests (because I read it is the most similar to ceramic), but anyway no success here.
-I have three nails to choose: titanium, quarz and ceramic. I am currently using the quartz one, but I am not sure which one is best for dmt.

Thanks in advance!

atomu235
#16 Posted : 9/26/2018 1:07:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Best coils for DMT are glass and ceramic. It's easy to burn spice in a titanium coil.

That coil you have might support TCR. You'll need to check it though. Best to have an IR thermometer on hand to check actual temp.

This mod should have 2 options - M1 and M2 for TCR temp control.

Below is link to manual on how to change TCR values.
https://cdn2.hubspot.net...bula_mod_user_manual.pdf

Start with something around 200 and see what temp the coil gets to. Use low wattage for testing. Adjust accordingly. Rule is - if actual temp is too low, increase the TCR value and vice versa.

Safe travels :-)

Ps. Some coils may not support TCR no matter what. Hope yours isn't one of those.

karloff
#17 Posted : 9/26/2018 1:48:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you atomu235

That is very useful info, but unfortunately, the G9 coil does not support TCR... at least that is said in the features section of the store where I bought it:

Brand Name:greenlightvapes
Low Voltage Alarm Function:No
Model Number:510 nail 1.0
Atomizers Identification Function:No
Monitoring Function Of Smoking Number:No
Short-circuit Protection Function:Yes
Compatible Model:30-80W box mod battery pen starter kit vaporizer Electronic cigarette
TCR Adjustment Modes:No
Display screen:No
Material:Metal
USB Charger:No
Firmware Upgradeable:No
Overheating Protection Function:Yes
Silicone Case:No
Nominal Capacity:80W

In fact, I haven't been able to find any wax/oil atomizer with a 510 rod and TCR modes.

I have done some more tests and the best mode for my coil seems to be CCW, but I am just doing trial-error adjustments for now... I think I will purchase an IR thermometer as you suggest to measure actual temperatures at given watt values.

My last test was setting a value of 40 watts and dabbing 30 mg of spice. The result was fantastic, even more efective than my homemade dmt machine, but I suspect it was too high wattage because I could see some few spots of black residue sticked to the nail walls.
Next time I will try 30 watt max.

atomu235
#18 Posted : 9/26/2018 2:27:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I use the below. Works like a charm with TCR once I tuned in the values. It can be gotten off eBay for $40.

Even though your coil doesn't support TCR by the looks of it give it a go anyways. Mine doesn't say anything about TRC control from what I saw and still works.

Ps. Only issue with mine is low max wattage. Takes ~30s to fully heat up at 20W.