We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Alternate day fasting information needed, anyone practiced or researched it? Options

justB612
#1 Posted : 6/14/2018 3:39:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi!

I'm on my second prolonged fasting in my life, on day 2. I love this so much to be honest I would do it every day if I could.

My question would be, how much could we fast regularly? Like, 3 whole days a week?

Or would that have some adverse effects?

Thank you in advance Smile
A second chance? Huh... I thought I was on my fifth.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

obliguhl
#2 Posted : 6/14/2018 5:24:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The two main risks are metabolic adaptation (probably not happening if you just fast 3/7 days but don't take my word for it) and loss of muscle mass. The ladder could be compensated by continuing to lift heavy and supplementing with BCAAs.

I would recommend to alternate fasting days and don't do it for more than 1 or two days in a row. Another option would be to fast for 16-20 hours per day.

#3 Posted : 6/15/2018 7:25:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

check out intermittent fasting, that might suit your needs better.

you have an 8h time window in which you can eat as usual, an fast the rest - water or tea are still allowed.

Doc Buxin
#4 Posted : 6/15/2018 7:58:07 PM

Pay No Mind

How much fasting is "good for you" all depends upon your body's constitution and condition.

Some really fat people could fast for a month and have it be great for them if they took the time to do it properly (which took me a lot of first-hand experience and a lot of studying to figure out).

On the other hand, most people who would be considered "skinny" can very much create more health problems for themselves if they fast too much (say, more than one day per week). One can really desiccate one's inner organ systems if careful attention to every aspect of the body is not taken very seriously.

Just my two cents. I fasted for the majority of my 20's (literally) and learned a ton.

These days I fast one day a week usually, but it's not a strict rule for me anymore. Typically I fast at least one day per month, but the heavy-duty ranch work that I do most of the time now does not lend itself to the fasting lifestyle. I am ridiculously skinny as it is already (very muscular, but skinny) and even though I am very aware that fasting is not the best thing for me to do a lot of at this point in my life, I love to fast so much that sometimes I just find myself doing it automatically...

Later in the day, my wife will say, "did you eat anything today? Honey, you know that you need to eat something or you're going to fade away". And I smile and know that, yes, some day this mind/body structure will indeed just fade away. After all, I have been preparing this entire lifetime for just that.

Freedom's so hard
When we are all bound by laws
Etched in the scheme of nature's own hand
Unseen by all those who fail
In their pursuit of fate

Simply_Me
#5 Posted : 6/15/2018 8:54:33 PM

Live the Life you Love

What would be nice to know is what are your goals?

Why are you fasting other than you like it?

When you do eat, what are you eating and how often, how do you prepare it?

Do you know what your BMI is? How much FAT you have or are you fat?

I realize that no one book, one person, or even one ideology will have all the answers. I believe my job is to remain open yet discriminating. My intuition helps me discern truth, and wisdom helps me identify malicious intentions.

justB612
#6 Posted : 6/15/2018 9:30:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm skinny, 12-15 % body fat I'd say from pictures, i had a bad lifestyle but now changed it to good, my diet is whole food because i find too much controversy over vega / meet + low fat / low carb.

So I'm eating only stuff that contains nutrients, nutts seeds, mushrooms, vegetables, fruits berries, some meat mostly fish, Smile

I want fasting because the whole experience is just so good. Can not express.

First time I did it it felt awesome, but after the fasting period I got back to baseline normal.

Now, as my 2nd fast is over (cant go over 3 days though...) I feel like some parts of the fasting sticked with me...

Doc Buxin
#7 Posted : 6/17/2018 5:47:39 AM

Pay No Mind

justB612 wrote:
I'm skinny, 12-15 % body fat I'd say from pictures, i had a bad lifestyle but now changed it to good, my diet is whole food because i find too much controversy over vega / meet + low fat / low carb.

So I'm eating only stuff that contains nutrients, nutts seeds, mushrooms, vegetables, fruits berries, some meat mostly fish, Smile.

You sound very level-headed about your dietary choices to me.

Simply eating things that human beings have been eating for thousands of years rather than just the last 60 or so years in a conscious, moderate manner, along with not buying into all the silly controversy that surrounds what dietary approaches people tend to trumpet to the masses in hopes of "saving" people from their own individual choices, will take you a long way in creating a balanced life for yourself. More power to you.

justB612 wrote:
I want fasting because the whole experience is just so good. Can not express.

First time I did it it felt awesome, but after the fasting period I got back to baseline normal.

Now, as my 2nd fast is over (cant go over 3 days though...) I feel like some parts of the fasting sticked with me...

Even though (obviously) it's not for everybody, fasting can be a ridiculously awesome experience and certainly can be somewhat addicting from my point of view.

I would suggest to you, justB612, to limit your fasting to one day (24hrs) per week at the most based upon what you stated regarding your body type and your description of โ„… body fat.

I wish you well on all your fasting endeavors!Very happy
Freedom's so hard
In their pursuit of fate

justB612
#8 Posted : 6/17/2018 2:48:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks Very happy I'll try to do that, and carefully measure my weight along the line, to see how it balances out.

Also any ideas on alternate fasting protocols?

Gut bacteria is getting a whole lot of attention these days and it feels like a day or two of not eating fixes my tummy up, clean easy digestion and clean easy stool too Very happy

I was thinking of finishing a fasting period with a bunch of probiotics, or maybe probiotics paired with vegetables/sauerkraut for a day or two?

Simply_Me
#9 Posted : 6/18/2018 5:11:40 AM

Live the Life you Love

Hi JustB612,

I think Doc Buxin gave some good advice and I agree that you seem to be doing well.

My 2 cents, Be careful, remember you NEED good nutrition to survive. I follow up a fast with Juiced Veggies. Specifically Ginger root, Tumeric Root, Beet Root and Greens, Wheat Grass, Cucumber, Spinach, Kale, arugula, apple, carrots, celery and whatever else I can find. I can feel it being absorbed into my body and I eat salads with oil + vinegar and only veggies for a couple days then I add Nuts and Grains. I eat some meat, but follow a 90/10 diet. 90% veggies, 10% grains and meat.

Try to stick with Nutrition density and Zero processed food, because it ain't food no more.
Simply_Me attached the following image(s):
IMG_0203.JPG (2,214kb) downloaded 108 time(s).
I realize that no one book, one person, or even one ideology will have all the answers. I believe my job is to remain open yet discriminating. My intuition helps me discern truth, and wisdom helps me identify malicious intentions.

Doc Buxin
#10 Posted : 6/18/2018 6:11:53 AM

Pay No Mind

justB612 wrote:
I was thinking of finishing a fasting period with a bunch of probiotics, or maybe probiotics paired with vegetables/sauerkraut for a day or two?

IMHO, I think that is a great freaking idea!!!

You can also add brewer's and/or nutritional yeast to the mix whenever you like. It is actually an incredible super-food for your gut's probiotic bacteria. Things that do that are called "prebiotics" within the dietary supplement industry if, by chance, you didn't know that. However, my advice regarding that would be not to fall for high-priced prebiotic products due to the fact that nutritional or brewer's yeast is dirt cheap and does one hell of a job. Pure whey powder (not whey protein) is in the same category and is still relatively inexpensive also.

Spending good money on a high-quality, temperature-stable (no refrigeration required) probiotic capsule or powder is never a bad thing to do, though good-quality (especially homemade) sauerkraut, kim chee, yogurt, kefir, kombucha, will achieve the same thing if actually consumed regularly.
Freedom's so hard
In their pursuit of fate

Doc Buxin
#11 Posted : 6/18/2018 6:14:56 AM

Pay No Mind

Simply_Me wrote:
...Be careful, remember you NEED good nutrition to survive. I follow up a fast with Juiced Veggies. Specifically Ginger root, Tumeric Root, Beet Root and Greens, Wheat Grass, Cucumber, Spinach, Kale, arugula, apple, carrots, celery and whatever else I can find. I can feel it being absorbed into my body and I eat salads with oil + vinegar and only veggies for a couple days then I add Nuts and Grains. I eat some meat, but follow a 90/10 diet. 90% veggies, 10% grains and meat.

Try to stick with Nutrition density and Zero processed food, because it ain't food no more.

This^^^^^^^^^ in my not-so-humble opinion, is some of the best advice ever.
Freedom's so hard
In their pursuit of fate

Simply_Me
#12 Posted : 6/20/2018 1:31:09 AM

Live the Life you Love

Thanks for the compliment Doc Buxin.

Doc Buxin
#13 Posted : 6/20/2018 6:43:06 AM

Pay No Mind

Simply_Me wrote:
Thanks for the compliment Doc Buxin.

It's the truth.

You are very welcome Simply_Me.

It's a pleasure to meet you!

Freedom's so hard
In their pursuit of fate

obliguhl
#14 Posted : 6/20/2018 9:39:00 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
Things that do that are called "prebiotics" within the dietary supplement industry

Prebiotics are always very important because without them, them good gut bacteria you are feeding, have nothing to eat and starve to death. For Probiotics, i swear by fermented foods, especially kefir. Vegetables are easy to ferment in a saline solution (look up the correct ratios) too, but take time. As for prebiotics, diversity is king - try to get all kinds of fibers through different plant intakes as well as resistant starches - they are contained in green banana (flour)/plantains, cashew...any inulin containing plant etc. You can also cool down rice or potatoes before reheating and eating to create them.

justB612
#15 Posted : 6/20/2018 11:27:09 AM

DMT-Nexus member

obliguhl wrote:
Quote:
Things that do that are called "prebiotics" within the dietary supplement industry

Prebiotics are always very important because without them, them good gut bacteria you are feeding, have nothing to eat and starve to death. For Probiotics, i swear by fermented foods, especially kefir. Vegetables are easy to ferment in a saline solution (look up the correct ratios) too, but take time. As for prebiotics, diversity is king - try to get all kinds of fibers through different plant intakes as well as resistant starches - they are contained in green banana (flour)/plantains, cashew...any inulin containing plant etc. You can also cool down rice or potatoes before reheating and eating to create them.

now this got me thinking the other day, there is a clear piece of information im missing right here

i've fasted for almost four days now, and i still can digest after that - meaning the gut bacteria did not "starve" - so why did they not starve/how did they survive?

and why would the kefir starve without food?

Auxin
#16 Posted : 6/20/2018 4:35:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Well, technically you can still more or less digest without gut bacteria or else taking antibiotics would be fatal rather than just unhealthy. The colonic bacteria you have just slow down during a fast, thats all, theyre still there and alive.
I'm a little confused as to how you know you can digest while your still fasting tho. When I fast I dont eat food Laughing

If your going past 4 days in your fast (and not eating) do remember to break the fast very gently. Your digestion is getting well rested and sensitive, when you break the fast eat easily digested things after perhaps starting with juice. And keep control, not eating too much too fast. For me, breaking a fast correctly is the hardest part of a fast because once food hits my blood I want to eat more right away.

obliguhl
#17 Posted : 6/21/2018 8:51:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
now this got me thinking the other day, there is a clear piece of information im missing right here

There are communities of bacteria in your gut which favour different kinds of nutrition. If you are too mono in your way of eating, some communities overtake others and it can happen that they take so much real estate that you have severely diminished populations of some beneficial cultures. That is one problem of the standard american diet and also abuse of antibiotics.

Now, if you are feeding bacteria you could benefit from, but they do not have anything to eat the population might get diminished. It can also happen that they start eating YOU:

https://www.sciencedaily...2016/11/161117134626.htm

Quote:
When microbes inside the digestive system don't get the natural fiber that they rely on for food, they begin to munch on the natural layer of mucus that lines the gut, eroding it to the point where dangerous invading bacteria can infect the colon wall, new research in mice shows.

The problem is, that some strains have it easier eating you such as some e.coli so you have the bad boys overtake the good ones.

Also, gut bacteria starve not because of calorie restrictions, but because they do not get the fiber they need. You can eat a ton of crap while starving beneficial gut bacteria.

Doc Buxin
#18 Posted : 6/21/2018 7:57:08 PM

Pay No Mind

justB612 wrote:
obliguhl wrote:
Quote:

i've fasted for almost four days now, and i still can digest after that - meaning the gut bacteria did not "starve" - so why did they not starve/how did they survive?

and why would the kefir starve without food?

You can still "digest" food without beneficial bacteria, if by "digest" one is referring to the act of breaking down food with bile (from the liver/gallbladder system) and enzymes (from the spleen/pancreas/stomach system).

Once the food is broken down into a form that ours guts can handle (ideally speaking) the probiotic bacteria help us absorb nutrients more efficiently through the walls of the small intestine and help with the proper breakdown of fecal waste in the large intestine.

Probiotic bacteria also make essential vitamins for us (again, under ideal circumstances). They can actually produce Vitamin B-12 when they're "happy" enough. There is a bit of scientific debate on exactly how many and which essential vitamins are produced by probiotic bacteria, but a fairly decent consensus that they do indeed produce essential nutrients for us besides helping us absorb essential nutrients from broken-down food.

All that being said, I have to say at this point, since justB612 did mention that they were on their 4th day of fasting, I would highly suggest doing some enemas or going to get a colonic done (I prefer the enemas because they are much gentler and you can administer them to yourself in private) and get your lower intestines clean. I can pretty much guarantee, from a lot of experience in this matter, that anyone who is post-3 days fasting will feel one hundred times better after doing this. Even if you feel super-great right now, several enemas, one after the other until the water that's "going out" is as clear and clean as the water that just "went in", will make you feel even better than you do now.

I have put off talking about this on other fasting threads only because I weigh it all back and forth in my mind, "well, do the people of the Nexus forum really want to hear me recommend enemas to someone? But then again, I know from first-hand experience that this is one of the best things that you can possibly do for your over-all well being IF you are past 3 days fasting (or on the verge of being past 3 days, e.g., the night of the 3rd day when you know you're going to continue fasting the next day for a 4th).

Freedom's so hard
In their pursuit of fate

pastanostra
#19 Posted : 6/21/2018 11:35:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Guys what do you think about Kombucha ?

Simply_Me
#20 Posted : 6/24/2018 12:57:52 AM

Live the Life you Love

I love the DMT-NEXUS... Just sayin' Very happy

Doc Buxin is on point again.

I believe as hypothesized by Jeremy Narby in "The Cosmic Serpent: DNA and the Origins of Knowledge" that there is communication among gut bacteria, us, and our food via bio-photons discovered by Fritz Popp.

โ€œWe are still on the threshold of fully understanding the complex relationship between light and life, but we can now say emphatically, that the function of our entire metabolism is dependent on light.โ€ โ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Dr. Fritz Albert Popp

https://www.biontologyar...om/dr-fritz-albert-popp/

I just started brewing my own Kombucha today.

There is no magic bullet, well except for a hit of DMT.
We are a Spiritual being residing in a complex biological organism and a single solution doesn't exist. Taking care of our health isn't about one pill, one drink, one anything.

12NEXT