We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
best Terence Mckenna book? Options

Chazz
#1 Posted : 2/3/2008 2:54:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

so what do you lot think is the best TM book? i am currently reading the archaic revival and enjoying it but would like to move on to something that isn't just a collection of interviews and essays. any suggestions?

CHAZZ

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Spacehippie
#2 Posted : 2/3/2008 3:06:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Check out True Hallucinations.I really enjoyed that one.
Once in a while you get shone the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

zero
#3 Posted : 2/10/2008 8:50:08 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I agree completely. True Hallucinations is by far one of the best reads I've experienced, psyche related or not. I read alot of everything so for me to say that is big, at least in my world Pleased It is a truly AMAZING record of Terence's personal experiences in the Amazon... wow. Man, I may just give it another read now that I'm thinking about it. There's a great little story he tells about being in India where he smokes DMT on a rooftop with this woman... fucking awesome imagery that he creates in that story.

I guess I should also mention that his brother Dennis plays a big role in the book, its not just TM's personal experiences. The theories and insane/genius rants and ideas that come out of Dennis McKenna in that book are fucking brilliant man. I mean, as far out as they are to common folk (hell, to anyone)... at least there are human beings having original thoughts out there. Terence was one of them, so was Dennis, and Dennis is still brilliant. Google some of the talk radio shows he's been on and you'll see what I mean. He's definitely a progressive thinker and an all around oddball.

Ok, I'll shut up now. Oh wait, not yet... If you want something great for in between your readings google or youtube will have some of his video lectures. There's one called The Philosophers Stone, I think, that is really really good. Terence was really sharp and at his prime then. Man, good shit. The thing about Terence is that if you really want to get into his ideas and try to understand them more thoroughly, you can't just read his books. The man was truly an amazing speaker (nasally, weird cadence aside). His lectures are where it's at. There's a 4 hour lecture called Plants, Consciousness and Transformation that will open you up to SOME of his ideas.

I got pretty much all of his lectures, both video and audio, from bittorrent sites. I dont care if thats cheating or if people have some moral issue with bittorrent downloading either.

Jesus, ok... NOW I'll shut up.

El Ka Bong
#4 Posted : 2/11/2008 6:55:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

A juicy article, but easier to read if printed out, perhaps:

http://www.ratical.org/many_worlds/UILN.html

Some quotes -

.. "It transcended any miracle I could ever ask for because it not only had the quality of a miracle as I imagined it, it had the quality of a miracle as I could not have imagined it. It was entirely charged with the energy of the other. It had the ambiguity of a pun: A kind of zany, impossible, improbable, hysterical revelation of the joke, the self-contradiction, the provisional nature of it all -- that it really is a Marx Brothers movie in some sense...."

.. "It seems to me that the felt presence of the other, the alien intelligence felt as being from outer space, is actually co-present with us on this earth. And that the problem is not the finding of it, but the recognizing of it when it is seen. In the same way that in the present cultural crisis everyone is crying `answers, answers, we have to have answers,' the fact is we have the answers. The question is to face the answers.

.. "...And the invoking of the effability of love has to do with discovering the shared birthright, the atemporal dimension that is co-present with this reality, a dimension that is a vast reservoir of anchoring -- existential anchoring -- for each and all of us in our lives. .."

The Dream Walker
#5 Posted : 2/12/2008 2:43:27 AM

DMT-Nexus member

zero wrote:
I got pretty much all of his lectures, both video and audio, from bittorrent sites. I dont care if thats cheating or if people have some moral issue with bittorrent downloading either.

Would it be too much trouble to ask you to compile a single torrent of your TM repository? I've got the 'Entheogens DVD' torrent, but a singularly TM one would be brilliant...

Chazz
#6 Posted : 2/12/2008 3:01:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

zero wrote:
I agree completely. True Hallucinations is by far one of the best reads I've experienced, psyche related or not.

well with a review like that I think I know what my next read is going to be... Very happy

zero wrote:
A juicy article, but easier to read if printed out, perhaps:

just skimmed it and realized that TM really is one of the most eloquent people of our time, he just summaries the most complex ideas into small bits of poetry that would be difficult , if not impossible, for most people to formulate.

CHAZZ

gn0sis
#7 Posted : 2/14/2008 9:53:34 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I definitely liked The Archaic Revival best. While it isn't as adventurous, I think, as True Hallucinations, it is something you could read over and over and over and over and still get something out of it. It's like a Bible that one could ponder for millennia. But maybe I'm just a fanboy. Smile

fourthripley
#8 Posted : 2/14/2008 10:58:19 PM
DMT-Nexus member

'True Hallucinations' I loved; I think the fact that I had read 'The Invisible Landscape first really added to my experience.TH was like adding the flesh to the wonderful and obscure bones of TIL.I love the bit in TH where Terrence describes the alchemical transformation of Oaxacan pollen into Leb or something and his aside along the lines of '..I realise some readers may be sceptical of this...' geniusVery happy
mistakes were made

Urban_Shaman
#9 Posted : 2/14/2008 11:41:55 PM
DMT-Nexus member

True Hallucinations - recepie for giving birth to your own soul!
-SSM