We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Shroom Growth Question Options

Cheeto
#1 Posted : 10/22/2009 1:19:57 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Why does it take 2-4 weeks for the fruit to grow under lights(Cultivation), yet the fruit grows(so i've been told) in cow dung over night, to a few days maybe?
They say that shit floats, but mine sinks....why?? I guess i'm just into some heavy shit!

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

biopsylo
#2 Posted : 10/22/2009 2:17:19 AM

DMT-Nexus member

true, a mushroom can appear literally overnight, but before it sets fruit, it has undergone a few other stages underground that take time, and the right conditions, and that you wouldn't notice unless you were cultivating yourself. if you could go from spore to mature fruit in 4 wks, you are probably doing really well. oh, and you don't need lights.

Cheeto
#3 Posted : 10/22/2009 2:18:15 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I know about the other stages, or shall i say watched videos about the other stages. I was referring direcly to the fruiting of Psilocybe cubensis. How does the actual shroom, not the spore prep, and growing the white shit on the substrate, just the fruit, grow over night?

Wow, is this true, you don't need lights to Grow the fruit? As long as you just keep the temp and humidity right the fruit grows?
They say that shit floats, but mine sinks....why?? I guess i'm just into some heavy shit!

β—‹
#4 Posted : 10/22/2009 2:41:34 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

No you DONT NEED a grow light. A little bit of window light is sufficient enough.

On SWIMs old setup, the top lid was clear along with the sides of the tub. Allowed for light from many angles.

acolon_5
#5 Posted : 10/22/2009 6:37:11 PM

The Great Namah

Cheeto wrote:
Why does it take 2-4 weeks for the fruit to grow under lights(Cultivation), yet the fruit grows(so i've been told) in cow dung over night, to a few days maybe?

Also you've got to remember that the mycelium in cow dung is growing within the patty, you can't see it, so it may be there for weeks before shooting up a few fruits.

We are improving on nature here, and because of the extra fruits produced by giving them a high quality nutrient and almost no competition it takes a bit longer for them to gear up to produce big flushes.

Also, lower temps (~68-72) = slower growing mycelium and mushrooms, but they are more potent by weight.

Higher temperatures (75-78+) = faster growing mycelium and fruits, but quicker doesn't always mean better.

And I've never used a grow light either. The rule I go by is, if there is enough light to read a book in the room, that is more than enough to initiate good pinning. There really isn't much need for a grow light, the light ONLY lets the mycelium that it's time to send up fruits. It is not like plants where more light = a bigger plant. More light will not produce more pins or larger fruits.

Think of it in nature, the mycelium grows in a cow patty or underground, when the mycelium hits the surface it receives light, and knows that it should send up fruits.
The Spice extends life
The Spice expands consciousness
The Spice is vital for space travel
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Never underestimate the power of STUFF!

I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention.

I don't know SWIM and personally don't trust him at all. If SWIM is posting, most likely I will not respond...as I said, I don't trust the guy. YOU I trust, but never SWIM.

Cheeto
#6 Posted : 11/3/2009 7:53:45 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Thanx for attempting to answer my question, but no one has yet fully understood the question.

After mycelium has grown in the cow dung and recieves some light it starts to grow the fruit, which is the actual mushroom, not the mycelium, thats what the fruit grows out of. My question is how the fruit grows overnight, not the mycelium: while in cultivation it takes AVG 4 weeks for the mycelium to grow on the subtrate, then also takes 2-4 weeks for the fruit to grow.

I trying to figure out nature's secret of grow th FRUIT over night rather than in 2-4 weeks(Not talking about the mycelium but the actual FRUIT(SHROOM))

acolon_5
#7 Posted : 11/3/2009 8:42:51 PM

The Great Namah

Cheeto wrote:
Thanx for attempting to answer my question, but no one has yet fully understood the question.

After mycelium has grown in the cow dung and recieves some light it starts to grow the fruit, which is the actual mushroom, not the mycelium, thats what the fruit grows out of. My question is how the fruit grows overnight, not the mycelium: while in cultivation it takes AVG 4 weeks for the mycelium to grow on the subtrate, then also takes 2-4 weeks for the fruit to grow.

I trying to figure out nature's secret of grow th FRUIT over night rather than in 2-4 weeks(Not talking about the mycelium but the actual FRUIT(SHROOM))

Please re-read my explanation. I was speaking about BOTH fruits and mycelium, not just mycelium growth.

Temperature affects fruit growth as well. I've never come across a fruit that takes 2-4 weeks to fully mature...normally it takes only 1-2 days (once pins form, and that can take UP TO 1-2 weeks after mycelium has fully colonized the substrate and growth perameters have been changed: temp, higher O2, and light).

Also, why do you think it takes 1-2 days for fruits to grow in the wild, do you know how long the mycelium has been sitting there, fully colonized waiting, for optimum temperature and humidity? Most of the time, in nature, the mycelium is ready, just waiting for that morning after a nice rain storm to produce fruits.

When people grow mushrooms they are improving on nature....humans take out the waiting period for optimum fruiting perameters and instead give the mycelium perfect (or near) conditions for both growth and fruiting...that is why we fan, drop the temperature, and wait for our pin sets to form...

I believe you have the question wrong. It takes nature longer to produce less fruits than it does for cultivated mushrooms.
The Spice extends life
The Spice expands consciousness
The Spice is vital for space travel
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Never underestimate the power of STUFF!

I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention.

I don't know SWIM and personally don't trust him at all. If SWIM is posting, most likely I will not respond...as I said, I don't trust the guy. YOU I trust, but never SWIM.

69ron
#8 Posted : 11/3/2009 8:45:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

acolon_5 wrote:
I've never come across a fruit that takes 2-4 weeks to fully mature...normally it takes only 1-2 days (once pins form at least, and that can take UP TO 1-2 weeks after mycelium has fully colonized the substrate).

Some mushrooms do take that long. Psilocybe cyanescens can take a very long time for the fruit to mature. Psilocybe cubensis is very fast though, just a few days and it’s usually done.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

Cheeto
#9 Posted : 11/3/2009 9:52:49 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Ahh, thats the missing information, the pins have grown already, and just waiting to blow up with moisture. So in cultivation what takes so long once light is introduced is for the pins to form, 1-2 weeks, then the shroom blows up within days. Correct?

benzyme
#10 Posted : 11/4/2009 4:37:30 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

69ron wrote:
acolon_5 wrote:
I've never come across a fruit that takes 2-4 weeks to fully mature...normally it takes only 1-2 days (once pins form at least, and that can take UP TO 1-2 weeks after mycelium has fully colonized the substrate).

Some mushrooms do take that long. Psilocybe cyanescens can take a very long time for the fruit to mature. Psilocybe cubensis is very fast though, just a few days and it’s usually done.

probably because psilo cyanescens grows in colder climates, whereas cubensis are tropical fungi for the most part.
temperature definitely has a lot to do with the speed of growth
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

69ron
#11 Posted : 11/4/2009 6:38:15 AM

DMT-Nexus member

benzyme wrote:
69ron wrote:
acolon_5 wrote:

probably because psilo cyanescens grows in colder climates, whereas cubensis are tropical fungi for the most part.
temperature definitely has a lot to do with the speed of growth

That applies a little bit. Psilocybe cubensis still grows much faster even if both are growing at the same temperature. SWIM had Psilocybe cubensis fruiting alongside Psilocybe cyanescens OUTSIDE unprotected from the environment. The Psilocybe cubensis took about 3 days to mature it's fruit, the Psilocybe cyanescens took 4 weeks.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

kungpow
#12 Posted : 11/4/2009 11:45:21 AM

Brandon

I myself have never seen a mushroom take 2 weeks to fully mature once pins are seen. It usually takes anywhere from 3-7 days. From my experience it can be said that mushrooms double in size every day. This may explain why natural mushrooms seem to pop up over a day. The pins on a pile of horse poo in the pasture actually start a little below the surface. So the first 3 days that the mushrooms actually start to fruit you can't see them. By time they start to pop up they are really growing fast.

I have no experience with cyans so I can't comment on them.