We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
What are the dangers of impure lye? Options

StatuesCryBleeding
#1 Posted : 1/2/2011 6:52:07 PM

SWIM :)

I'm curious as to the dangers of using a lye mixture that contains sodium hypoclorite. What's it's solubility in naphtha? Would smoking spice with sodium hypoclorite simply be unhealthy (like smoking a tobacco cigarette) or deadly?

The reason I ask is because I've been unable to find a source of pure lye in my area. I also refuse to have it shipped.

Penguin <3 Panda

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

cker
#2 Posted : 1/2/2011 9:03:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'll say don't use that except maybe to clean your swimming pool. Sodium hypochlorite is houshold bleach (NaOCl). I wouldn't be worried about the solubility of sodium hypochlorite in naptha but rather the chlorine reacting with plant tissue to produce (say) chlorinated organic compounds that could (would) be soluble in naptha. In that case, you'll be smoking compounds like polychlorinatedbiphenyls (ie PCB's) which are not good for your continued existance.

You can obtain pure lye somehow and why would you want to fool around with adding bleach to your extraction? If you can't find 100% lye, make some sodium carbonate from baking soda.

I can also add, there are some types of non-100% lye that contain metal granules (aluminum or magnesium) that bubble when added to water to eliminate drain pipe clogs a little easier. You can see the granules in this type of drain cleaner as little gray specks within the lye powder. Don't use this type of lye either. If you need lye, get 100% lye, otherwise, make some Na2CO3 from NaHCO3.

fourthripley
#3 Posted : 1/2/2011 9:33:02 PM
DMT-Nexus member

If doing an a/b, bleach+ strong acid = chlorine gas = bad
mistakes were made

proto-pax
#4 Posted : 1/2/2011 11:09:59 PM

bird-brain

most hardware stores should have it. check any places like ace hardware.
blooooooOOOOOooP fzzzzzzhm KAPOW!
This is shit-brained, this kind of thinking.
Grow a plant or something and meditate on that

StatuesCryBleeding
#5 Posted : 1/3/2011 1:23:22 AM

SWIM :)

Alright thanks for the answers. I heard calcium carbonate is a bad choice with stb teks because of it's low solubility in water. Anyone have first hand experiences to share? If not, ill just go with lime I guess.
Penguin <3 Panda

proto-pax
#6 Posted : 1/3/2011 9:14:36 AM

bird-brain

lime has a low solubility in water. Like. It doesn't dissolve at all. I think you may have lime and calcium carbonate mixed up.
blooooooOOOOOooP fzzzzzzhm KAPOW!
This is shit-brained, this kind of thinking.
Grow a plant or something and meditate on that

Shaolin
#7 Posted : 1/3/2011 10:37:55 AM

Stiletto Stoner

cker wrote:

If you need lye, get 100% lye, otherwise, make some Na2CO3 from NaHCO3.

Have you successfully used Na2CO3 in an A/B or STB ? In my experience it doesn't work in an A/B while I (theoretically) presume that the base is too weak to work in a STB.

Solubility:
Calcium hydroxide - lime - 0.173 g/100 mL (20°C)
Calcium carbonate - 0.00015 mol/L - 0,0015 g/100 mL (25°C)
Got GVG ? Mhm. Got DMT ?

Pandora wrote:
Nexus enjoys cutting edge and ongoing superior programming skills of the owner of this site (The Traveler), including recent switching to the .me domain name.

I'm still, I'm still Jenny from the block

Simon Jester wrote:
"WTF n00b, buy the $100 vapor pipe or GTFO"

Ignorance of the law does not protect you from prosecution

tele
#8 Posted : 1/3/2011 1:14:55 PM
Explorer

Just a recommendation: Check out q21q21's white DMT tek, no need for lye and the results are awesome, very easy to do.

sunnyshine777
#9 Posted : 5/24/2018 11:03:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

SWIM has just scraped a massive yield after doing a STB with Crystal Heat Drain cleaner. It looks amazing but the yield was so massive that SWIM got skeptical. Upon further review, there may be some other things in the powder which I don't need.

The reagent used contains:
SODIUM HYDROXIDE; caustic soda; soda lye SODIUM NITRATE; chile saltpeter; soda niter ALUMINUM; METALLIC GRANULES SODIUM CARBONATE; soda ash; carbonic acid, disodium salt

Yield total was over half a gram from 100g MHRB, pulled with naphtha and freeze precipitated.

SWIM understands that not using 100% lye is a no-no, but at this point SWIM wants to know what to do with all this glorious powder. Can SWIM safely use it at all? If not, can it be refined into something usable? SWIM has heptane as an alternative solvent.
Dreams are true brainstorms.

downwardsfromzero
#10 Posted : 5/25/2018 7:10:25 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

sunnyshine777 wrote:
SWIM has just scraped a massive yield after doing a STB with Crystal Heat Drain cleaner. It looks amazing but the yield was so massive that SWIM got skeptical. Upon further review, there may be some other things in the powder which I don't need.

The reagent used contains:
SODIUM HYDROXIDE; caustic soda; soda lye SODIUM NITRATE; chile saltpeter; soda niter ALUMINUM; METALLIC GRANULES SODIUM CARBONATE; soda ash; carbonic acid, disodium salt

Yield total was over half a gram from 100g MHRB, pulled with naphtha and freeze precipitated.

SWIM understands that not using 100% lye is a no-no, but at this point SWIM wants to know what to do with all this glorious powder. Can SWIM safely use it at all? If not, can it be refined into something usable? SWIM has heptane as an alternative solvent.

5% seems too good to be true. Have you checked the accuracy of your scales?

Recrystallise using that heptane. Then consider speaking to Endlessness about whether this would qualify for an analysis. Have a look at checking it via TLC, at the very least.

Because the drain cleaner you used contains reactive substances, there is a distinct chance that your yield has been boosted by unknown substances resulting from the reaction of aluminium powder, sodium nitrate and your extraction substrate. It's not impossible that some kind of amine extractable by naphtha has been formed. It's not safe to assume that this unknown substance can be safely consumed.

All that said - if this miraculously turned out to be all DMT it would be worth repeating the extraction using pure sodium hydroxide with more source material from the same batch in order to see if it's capable of reproducing the same yield this way.

Then try again with NaOH + sodium nitrate.

Then try again with NaOH + aluminium powder.

Then try again with NaOH + sodium nitrate + aluminium powder.

This may then show whether the drain cleaner produced anything extra, DMT or otherwise.

It may be possible that the sodium nitrate acts in the same way as table salt in Cyb's salt tek.

β€œThere is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Jagube
#11 Posted : 5/30/2018 11:13:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:
5% seems too good to be true.

But 0.5g from 100g is 0.5%, not 5%. That's not a high yield.

downwardsfromzero
#12 Posted : 6/1/2018 9:20:19 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Jagube wrote:
downwardsfromzero wrote:
5% seems too good to be true.

But 0.5g from 100g is 0.5%, not 5%. That's not a high yield.

You've got me there - the cognitive flatulence was strong at that time! The claim of massive yield was quite banboozling (and once I scraped up 5 grams but from rather more bark).

Yeah, that's a fairly disappointing yield. No scientific breakthrough here, just stick to the pure lye and move along...

β€œThere is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli