We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12
Rating the extraction teks Options

The Traveler
#21 Posted : 6/29/2015 5:06:52 PM

"No, seriously"

Administrator | Skills: DMT, LSD, Programming

Thank you for thinking along. Here are my answer to a few things:

Anatman wrote:
I agree with the aspects of the rating system generally, however I think time of exposure falls under discretion, but still how long a tek is expected to take should still be its own aspect.

The reason that it is on its own and in that wording is that after the initial extraction, often the non-polar solvent is put into the freezer. This does not mean that the tek is finished but it means that the exposure of all the equipment is gone;

Anatman wrote:
Also simplicity of materials and steps can sort of relate to discretion in a way, how about putting them together as an aspect called difficulty?

Certain types of equipment will definitely popup in the discretion aspect as well, they are not mutually exclusive: a certain piece of equipment can both be hard to use and suspicious to have around (soxhlet for example).

Also, one side purpose of the rating is to improve the existing teks. So if the steps are hard to follow or badly written it is better that this shows in a separate aspect with the hope that this will be improved upon.

Anatman wrote:
And rather than discretion i like the word stealth.

Quite a bit of energy went into avoiding the use of the word stealth. In our attitude page we explicitly state that "we are against people extracting or using substances in student dorms/parents/shared houses or any other unsafe place or where the owners or roommates do not agree with what is being done. We do not give tips on 'stealth' teks."

So to not give the wrong idea, the word 'discretion' was used.

Anatman wrote:
5.Expense ($)

The 'Expense' aspect should be avoided since this puts a monetary value on the extracted DMT, see Street Value of DMT (AND WHY YOU SHOULDN'T EVER SELL DMT).

Thank you for thinking along though, it is appreciated.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

TGO
#22 Posted : 7/22/2015 5:34:00 PM

Music is alive and in your soul. It can move you. It can carry you. It can make you cry! Make you laugh. Most importantly, it makes you feel! What is more important than that?

Welcoming committee

Bumpity bumpity bump! Very happy

I am curious if any new headway has been made on the extraction rating process? I am also bumping this in case any other members might have missed it!

Have a nice day everyone!

-The Grateful One-

EDIT: Perhaps a subcategory of Safety could be "Is This Tek Food safe?" I think that would definitely help out newer members and point people who dislike volatile chemicals in a safer direction...? Or have a special symbol or emblem next to teks that are food safe. I realize that everyone should be able to figure that out for themselves but for the sake of quick reference...

Also, I was thinking (this doesn't necessarily apply to rating the teks) that within each tek there should/could be a place that mentions which solvents/chemicals can be substituted for one another. I have seen quite a few threads asking about such things. It could potentially clear up a bit of forum clutter...?

These are just ideas I am spit balling. Feel free to shoot them down! I can take it! Wink Wink

Laughing
New to The Nexus? Check These Out:

One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish

Talkswithtrees
#23 Posted : 11/6/2015 9:47:23 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Perhaps you could incorporate the availability of the required materials to perform a specific tek? For instance naphtha is super easy to find around here but if I wanted heptane Id have to order it online.
Just trying to be helpful, much respect Trav.

EssCee
#24 Posted : 5/7/2016 10:30:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I would like to update where appropriate.
We have some that have been improved upon. This is one specific one I can say they took the tek from here and added better data. This version of the Acacia with Naptha and Vinegar is better detailed than ours.

It is just a 1/2ing of the one I found on the nexus. The nexus wasn't as clear and I couldn't tell if I was supposed to add more lye each time. I did figure it out, but it was much clearer in the other post on the instructions and what to repeat.

https://psychonautwiki.o...um_hydroxide_and_naphtha
Everything I say here is a work of spiritual fiction.

blue.magic
#25 Posted : 6/7/2017 8:45:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I would add one more category, which is Scalability.

The Tek with poor scalability is suitable only for some predefined amount of source material, while well scalable Tek works with a wide range of amounts (e.g. specifying how to scale amounts of chemicals properly).

This is actually the first thing I shot myself in the foot when extracting - I simply scaled the numbers on my calculator only to realize the amounts used are nonsensical. Sometimes when using twice more plant material one does not really need twice the amount of water. Also pH does not behave linearly and a scalable Tek should account for that.

MachienDome
#26 Posted : 5/18/2018 5:58:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

blue.magic wrote:
I would add one more category, which is Scalability.

That's a great idea! I would like to see some more experienced users comment on scaling up and down or including ratios for scaling. It would be nice for them to also go through some of the teks and expand on the steps, clarify some things (no offense, but some are poorly written) and provide background technical chemistry knowledge to make them more complete in the wiki instead of having so much scattered information around the forums.

I would also like to see some more experienced users share some ratings! Big grin
"In this secret room, from the past, I seek the future..."

Samvidbuho
#27 Posted : 4/2/2019 10:51:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Has anyone seen this article that came out early this year?
It's a rather poor, very simple study, but does give some useful information as well as ideas to make the study better.
However, the authors of the study use a tek from this site - the 'Internet Method' is none other than Lazyman's Straight to Base !

Article:
Internet Method for the Extraction of N,N-dimethyltryptamine from Mimosa hostilis roots: Does it really extract dimethyltryptamine?
(Spoiler - Yes... yes it does)

Background and Aims:
The psychoactive capacity of the alkaloid N,N-dimethyltryptamine (DMT) has been known for decades, and its presence in beverages used in religious contexts around the world – such as ayahuasca – has attracted growing attention from the scientific community due to its possible anxiolytic and antidepressant effects. Mimosa hostilis, popularly known as jurema preta in Brazil, is a plant known to be utilized for extracting DMT, especially for recreational use. In this study, we confirmed if five different organic solvents (n-hexane, ethyl acetate, n-butanol, dichloromethane, and chloroform) would extract non-purified DMT from M. hostilis and compared them in terms of DMT concentration found in the five organic solvents cited before. Methods: We have performed the straight to base technique for the extraction of DMT found on the Internet. The evaluation of DMT concentration in the organic solvents was performed via UPLC-ESI-MS/MS. No investigation was performed on other compounds in the solvents. Results: All the organic solvents extracted non-purified DMT, from lower to higher concentration: n-hexane, ethyl acetate, chloroform, n-butanol, and dichloromethane. Conclusions: The Internet straight to base method indeed extracts DMT from M. hostilis roots. However, DMT is not purified and the exact composition of the extracts and its toxicology is unknown. Thus, recreational DMT users are exposing themselves to products with unknown composition and effects.

travis
#28 Posted : 9/6/2023 10:21:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Bumping this old thread, as I think this has not been finally done and it is a very interesting thing, even for those already making extractions.

Anatman wrote:

Oh and these are not in any particular order...you should prioritize yourself whats important to you in a tek. Smile

1.Safety
2.Yield
3.Purity
4.Time
5.Expense ($)
6.Difficulty
7.Stealth

Actually here would be the aspects listed in my priority.

1.Purity
2.Yield
3.Expense
4.Stealth
5.Time
6.Safety
7.Difficulty

1-3 (Basically what I care about most is how good is it, how much will i get, and what will it cost me)
4-5 (I live alone, I have my own apt, it's not in a closed in complex, but still I can't afford to have these aspects be on the bottom of my priority list)
6-7 (if 1-5 are taken care of, then I don't care how dangerous or hard it is, I have faith in my abilities, that's why they are on the bottom, however notice I care about safety MORE than difficulty, so really the least thing im worried about isn't safety, its difficulty) That's just me though Razz.

I was thinking that with proper input about teks provided by experts, it should be fairly easy to code a little web-app that showed people the best tek according to their priorities.
I could help with doing the backend part, if someone was able to make the frontend one.

The Traveler wrote:

The 'Expense' aspect should be avoided since this puts a monetary value on the extracted DMT, see Street Value of DMT (AND WHY YOU SHOULDN'T EVER SELL DMT).

I'm not sure if I agree on this part. The linked thread about not selling spice is a beautiful thread, but I think that "selling DMT" vs "budget required for extraction" are two different topics.
As an example, there are teks that use more dangerous methods and materials, that require more safety measures. And those cost money. A hot vs cold tek, might require buying an electrical stove or pot. Buying expensive chemicals vs organic readily available materials.
I'm just arriving here, though, so I might be wrong because of lack of information.

acacian
#29 Posted : 12/19/2023 11:41:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I think as knowledge grows of the vast array of DMT sources, and as people will be at times working with plants in cultivation - perhaps teks could also be rated in how vast a set of plants they're effective.. eg does said tek work well for Mimosa hostilis or psychotria viridis as well as the vast swathe of Acacia.. and can it be applied to other parts of the plants and still work effectively? Phyllodes/stem/twig I think will become more popular as people cultivate the plants themselves.. and will likely require tweaking of methods.

Loveall
#30 Posted : 12/19/2023 2:26:25 PM

❤️‍🔥

Chemical expertSenior Member

acacian wrote:
I think as knowledge grows of the vast array of DMT sources, and as people will be at times working with plants in cultivation - perhaps teks could also be rated in how vast a set of plants they're effective.. eg does said tek work well for Mimosa hostilis or psychotria viridis as well as the vast swathe of Acacia.. and can it be applied to other parts of the plants and still work effectively? Phyllodes/stem/twig I think will become more popular as people cultivate the plants themselves.. and will likely require tweaking of methods.

Yeah, agreed. A general brute-force A/B usually requires cleanup steps, fighting several issues (emulsions, plant matrix breakup, etc). It is more work but will get them job done in many situations.

Then, for each specific plant there can be a specialization where the process is heavily tuned. This can result in a simple process with high yields and purity with less work, but it is very plant specific.

It makes sense to put a lot of work and effort to develop a specialized processes for the major plants (e.g. Max ion for MHRB or CIELO for columnar cacti). However, when it comes to other less common plants it is harder to justify the work.

It is kind of a catch 22, as a simple TEK would promote people growing the plant in abundance, but without people growing the plant in abundance there is no extra material and motivation to develop a simple clear TEK.

To break the impass, maybe growers could collaborate with extractors and send plant material to them. Just a thought. I'd be willing to experiment with twigs, leaves, grasses, etc if I had them. I live in a zone that has freezing Temps a few times a year and my acacias died.

💚🌵💚 Mescaline CIELO TEK 💚🌵💚
💚🌳💚DMT salt e-juice HIELO TEK💚🌳💚
💚🍃💚 Salvinorin Chilled Acetone with IPA and Naphtha re-X TEK💚🍃💚

PREV12