We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
P.Galindoi truffles - first harvest (slightly disappointing yield) Options

antares
#1 Posted : 4/28/2018 12:10:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I spawned 3 mycobags containing 650gms of rye grain each with some P.Galindoi spores last September. Initially, I did not notice much colonisation and it eventually dawned on me about a month later that the temperature was too low. I then moved them into a warmer airing cupboard and they rapidly recovered with no signs of contamination.

I harvested them earlier this morning (seven months after spawning and 6 months after full colonisation). I had intended to harvest a month or two earlier but life got in the way. When I opened them, all the bags were fully colonised and there were no signs of contamination.

The first bag did not have any truffles in it at all. Not even the tiniest nodule.

The second bag had about 30gms of small sized truffles in it

The third bag had about 65gms of small and medium sized (1-1.5cm) truffles.

The total yield was just over 95gms from just under 2kg of rye grains. Apart from the initial delay in colonisation, there were no problems experienced. I popped a few little ones into my mouth while harvesting them and I can feel a slight effect even from this minuscule dose. It promises to be of good potency. A proper bio-assay will have to wait a little till I get the opportunity for some time by myself. I am drying my harvest in a food dehydrator for 20hrs at 40C after which I will store them in a diy dessicator in a dark cupboard.

I suspect the low temperatures and late colonisation allowed more resistant but lower yielding spores to preferentially survive. I am a bit puzzled as to why there was such a variation between the three bags. They were all stored together in exactly the same conditions at all times and there was no contamination.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Bancopuma
#2 Posted : 4/28/2018 12:25:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey dude, are you going to attempt to fruit them? Worth a shot, IMO, not a hard species to fruit. Most people who fruit P. galindoi seem to prefer the mushrooms to the sclerotia, the latter are definitely more potent and may be easier on the stomach (for some people).

antares
#3 Posted : 4/28/2018 1:33:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I thought briefly about it but decided not to this time around. I don't have a stealthy grow box setup yet. My wife wouldn't be happy at all if she found magic mushrooms growing in the spare room Big grin.

I found the few little nuggets I ate quite palatable. They were certainly a lot more palatable than the 2gms of dried cubensis I had a while back which is my only other experience with mushrooms.

Mister_Niles
#4 Posted : 4/28/2018 3:19:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I thought jars were preferable to bags with truffles. Still stealthy.

I did a pf tek truffle grow and got over 30 grams per pint jar. A lot more I think. Can't find my notes. I know that I only did a few jars as a test and ended up with enough to share with friends. I made a LC and totally failed with rye grass seed. I never got around to doing rye berries. Soon. And I am definitely going to try casing and fruiting.
Welcome Home Mister_Niles. We've Been Waiting For You.

"Don't worry. When it happens, you won't be able to not let it do its thing. You won't have the ability to distinguish a pen from a hippopotamus"
- Art Van D'lay

antares
#5 Posted : 4/28/2018 5:41:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Now that you mention it, I cant remember seeing many reports of people growing truffles in bags. Perhaps jars are a factor also. It still doesn't explain why there was such a difference between the three portions though.

I was limited by the size of my pressure cooker. It is a small family sized one that does 11.6 PSI. I had to keep it at pressure for about 150 min to feel reasonably confident that the substrate was going to be sterile. By using bags, I managed to squish all three inside for a single run. It would have taken forever doing one jar at a time, not to mention the difficulty in finding jars that would fit inside when raised off the base.

Buying a large pressure cooker would lead to lots of questions being asked. It's not easy going about doing dmt extractions and growing truffles right under the nose of an unsympathetic spouse. It is quite entertaining in a 'breaking bad' fantasy sort of way CoolLaughing but very inconvenient.

fathomlessness
#6 Posted : 7/21/2019 4:24:49 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Average yield is anywhere from 50g to 120g fresh per quart jar. I'm not sure what the comes out to as I don't weigh my grains before putting them in quart jars. Also, the longer the stones sit there mature the more potent they will be apparently.