We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Removing Denatonium benzoate from IPA/acetone Options

w0mbat
#1 Posted : 10/31/2009 7:29:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

SWIM was wondering if denatonium benzoate (the highly bitter denaturing agent) could be removed from acetone or IPA purchased at a local pharmacy just by adding dH2O to the solvent, letting the liquids separate, and then isolating the "clean" solvent.

SWIM was hoping this would work due to denatonium benzoate's higher solubility in water, but wonders if the miscibility of acetone and water or IPA and water would make this impossible...

Would there be any downsides to leaving the denatonium benzoate in the final product (spice)? Could it still be vaporized as a freebase or turned into a salt and put in pills if it contained the denatonium benzoate?
benzyme wrote:

i'm tellin ya, one day i'll interface a mass spec and uv-vis spectrophotometer to a modular synthesizer

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

w0mbat
#2 Posted : 11/1/2009 5:36:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Do most ppl just not worry about removing denaturing agents, and just use their IPA/acetone straight out of the bottle?
benzyme wrote:

i'm tellin ya, one day i'll interface a mass spec and uv-vis spectrophotometer to a modular synthesizer

Jorkest
#3 Posted : 11/1/2009 5:42:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf ProgrammingChemical expert | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf Programming

water mixes with acetone and IPA...so adding water wont work
it's a sound