We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Easy way to get good cheap solvent toluene, MEK, DCM... Options

Jackal
#1 Posted : 4/24/2018 1:05:13 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I was looking for easy way to cheep solvents no mather in witch country you live, and i found out that DCM can be easly extracted from paintstripers, but pantstripers can still be expensive i was looking for even cheeper way and than i found out that Lacquer Thinners contain toluene and MEK.

Average lacquer thinner contains mostly toluene with acetone, methanol, mek + other stuff at low concentrations. So if we wash lacquer thinner with some wather that should remove acetone/methanol and other solvents soluble in wather, than remaining stuf will mostly contain toluene. To get cleaner product this can be destiled while watching temperature of the vapor so if vapor reaches 111C we know that at this point toluene is evaporating and we can start colecting it and discarding stuff that was distilled while temperature of vapor was less than 111C and more than lets say 120C because it is possible that touluine could form anisotrope with some other compound.

On pictures are composition tables of some thinners with good stuff.
Jackal attached the following image(s):
Untiklklkltled.png (105kb) downloaded 131 time(s).
Untiklklkbvbvltled.png (43kb) downloaded 130 time(s).
ffssfsfsf.png (144kb) downloaded 129 time(s).

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Ulim
#2 Posted : 4/24/2018 7:01:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

That wont work at all

Ethyl acetate, Ethanol, MEK will be hard to seperate (Boiling points are all 79C)

Ethanol/Methanol will form an azeotrope with ethyl acetate and methyl acetate.

Methyl acetate and acetone both boil at 57C so no seperating there too.

Basically all the solvents will not be seperatable as they are to close in boiling point and/or make an azeotrope

You can only get the compounds like 50% pure at best i imagine when distilling them.

You can get toluene by adding lots of water. Thats it.
You will not be able to get anything but the toluene and thats even pretty bad as you will have it pretty wet and at a price thats actually way higher than just buying it.

Ulim
#3 Posted : 4/24/2018 7:07:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

DCM will make azeotropes too so you need to water wash it too to pull out the alcohols (Methanol , Ethanol) to remove them.

Same for other solvents especially non polar ones.

Soaring Eagle
#4 Posted : 4/24/2018 7:14:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

My God it's not even that expensive .. If you're only extracting for your self money shouldn't be a problem... Im guessing you're wanting to save for profit because naphtha is only 8$ a can.. Usually you get what you pay for.

Ulim
#5 Posted : 4/24/2018 7:29:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Also toluene sucks as a solvent.
Very toxic and not better than naptha in many cases Confused
For mescaline you can use DCM for better results imo.

blue.magic
#6 Posted : 4/24/2018 8:42:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ulim wrote:
Also toluene sucks as a solvent.
Very toxic and not better than naptha in many cases Confused
For mescaline you can use DCM for better results imo.

I just ordered xylene to see if will improve mescaline extraction and now I see DCM should be maybe even better... have you compared the two solvents?

downwardsfromzero
#7 Posted : 4/24/2018 9:13:24 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

And, of course, toluene also forms an azeotrope with water so the whole process would be... interesting.

Ketones like acetone and MEK can be separated as their sodium bisulfite adducts. At least, that's how I'd get MEK out of ethanol.

β€œThere is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Jackal
#8 Posted : 4/25/2018 12:43:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I wish i can buy solvents directly but recently i can't find any source where i can buy it, but one thing is for shure you can get toluene from lacquer thinner easly and nearly pure DCM from Paint Stripper gel and it is not even that hard.

By heating Paint Stripper on 40C gel will start babbling with DCM vapors that can be condensed, gel can be heated until bubbling stops witch is indication that all DCM evaporated, because of low boiling point this can even be done in plastic bottles or containers of Paint Stripper gel and hot weather.
Result is nearly pure DCM that sometimes might contain small concentrations of acetone/methanol that can be washed with water and than 100% pure DCM can be separated.

Ulim
#9 Posted : 4/25/2018 2:27:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Jackal wrote:
By heating Paint Stripper on 40C gel will start babbling with DCM vapors that can be condensed, gel can be heated until bubbling stops witch is indication that all DCM evaporated, because of low boiling point this can even be done in plastic bottles or containers of Paint Stripper gel and hot weather.
Result is nearly pure DCM that sometimes might contain small concentrations of acetone/methanol that can be washed with water and than 100% pure DCM can be separated.

Dont do that. The hot DCM will eat the plasic for breakfast leaving you with plastic enriched DCM which is NOT PURE and will leave you with tons of plastic in your product.