We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Drug interactions, MAOI and SSRI specifically Options

CraniumCandy
#1 Posted : 4/22/2018 9:35:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey everyone, even though this has been covered a lot, I would like to remind everyone how easy it is to make a mistake with mixing drugs, thankfully we were able to stop an event from occurring well before it could have happened.

My wife recently started a prescription of Prozac, nasty stuff, anyway she only made it two days into the pills before she had to quit, she had too many side effects to continue. She discontinued taking the meds but not before I read the small pamphlet that contained the drug interaction information. I was about to suggest she try some changa a week or so after she quit Prozac. I had made it a few months ago and had even read up on the interactions between SSRI and MAOI but decided to look again. That’s when I found some pretty conflicting and potentially dangerous information on the subject.

Both of these types of drugs interact with one another, one stays in your system for an extremely long amount of time, and the other is fairly quickly metabolized. This causes a different cross reaction depending on what drug is taken first. If an MAOI is taken first like harmalas or harmine for example, my research shows that one should stay clear of starting any SSRI for at least a week for safety, on the other hand if a SSRI (especially Prozac) is taken first you should stay away from any MAOI drug for at least FIVE WEEKS! This was news to me and to stay safe she still hasn’t tried the changa. If she were to have tried it she could have developed serotonin syndrome, even though she only took the SSRI for two days. She probably would have been fine but we have to wait all 5 weeks to be sure.

I hope people take these precautions and read up before giving any friends changa mixtures. It’s stressed a lot but it never seems to be enough. We can’t put warning labels on changa and because of that we as a community have a responsibility and need to do our part to make sure everyone stays safe.

Happy traveling everyone!
Before enlightenment chop wood and carry water, after enlightenment chop wood and carry water.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

CraniumCandy
#2 Posted : 4/22/2018 10:02:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

By the way I am aware the first post on this forum is about these reactions, this is just another reminder of how easy it can happen. Thanks and stay safe.Very happy
Before enlightenment chop wood and carry water, after enlightenment chop wood and carry water.