We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Looking for advice on how to proceed - DMT extraction Options

Donde Vayas
#1 Posted : 3/10/2018 12:12:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hoping this is the right place for this kind of post!

SWIM made an extraction the other week using Cyb´s Hybrid Salt Tek (since SWIM is a beginner it seemed appropriate). SWIM used David Ross Bencina lighter fluid for non-polar solvent. Being green to the whole process, and having no guidance telling me to do it, SWIM never made an evaporation test of the solvent. Then I found this forum, since then an endless well of information, thank you all!

The first two extractions came out pretty well it seemed to SWIMs novice eyes, see attached photos, the third and following hade more residues/yellow goo but also seemed alright, from what I understand. Crystals were pretty large, mind I´m having no experience really. Though when SWIM scraped everything together the batches turned out rather yellow. Wanting to be sure and also for learning the process SWIM continued with a recrystallization using this time Zippo Premium lighter fluid. See photos for results.

Now later finding out about the recommended evaporation test SWIM did one on the Zippo fluid and had no residues at all. SWIM had used up all the DR fluid and couldn´t get his hands on anymore. Now SWIM is worried this might contain rust inhibitor (although there is no blue hue to the extractions) or other unwanted residues, but really he has no idea. SWIM is awaiting reply from the manufacturers supplier. I couldn´t find any SDS or MSDS concerning this.

Anyone with knowledge about the content in DR lighter fluid?

I found at least one post from 2010 stating the DR fluid evaporated cleanly for them.

In the "Official extraction help thread" (I can´t copy past, might be a new member restriction, it´s on page 43 if interested) I found a discussion about the DR, although I´m not sure it´s the same they are discussing later on.. anyway they mention very very small residues but also content of naphtha, xylene and medium aliphatic, SWIM is not sure if all these are present in Light Petroleum distillate.. might be another solvent they are discussing there...

My questions are basically, would SWIMs spice be alright after the recrystallization process with Zippo? And could anyone give advice on how they would proceed?

It might be worth mentioning that the DR Butane gas carries the "near-zero impurities" label which gives SWIM some made up confidence of the purity level of the fluid as well.

Thankful for any replies and apologise for the long-winded post

In community,

Donde Vayas

recrystallization

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Hyperspace_Mystery
#2 Posted : 3/11/2018 5:56:41 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Was this done with ACRB? Just curious because Swim has noticed the acrb seems to contain higher amounts of NMT or plant fats im not 100% sure, and often get similar yellowy results with the ACRB conpared with the MHRB . And yes after recrystallization it should be ok that jungle spice colour is normal i wouldnt worry too much especially after its been reX. However swim has seen good results with diggers shellite (naptha) as the solvent and it comes in bigger bottles swim has never tried the small zippo fluids either but if you evap test was good. Im sure it will be good spice. Nice work on the first extraction swim 👌👌

blue.magic
#3 Posted : 3/11/2018 4:07:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Donde Vayas wrote:
My questions are basically, would SWIMs spice be alright after the recrystallization process with Zippo? And could anyone give advice on how they would proceed?

Can't tell whether the spice will be alright, but here is how I do the recrystallization:

- put spice in a shot glass or small beaker (50-100 ml)
- put the beaker in a hot water bath until the spice melts
- add small amount of your non-polar solvent (15 ml or so), mix well with a rod, you will see an orange/brown blob that does not dissolve
- decant the NPS in a Pyrex dish, be careful not to pour of the colored blob
- repeat adding NPS, mixing and decanting two or three more times
- put the Pyrex dish in freezer to precipitate purer crystals

Now you get get even purer crystals by letting them grow slowly. First heat up collected NPS to completely dissolve the precipitate (the NPS turn from milky to clear), leat the Pyrex dish stand at room temp for few hours, then place to fridge for few hours, then in freezer for 12+ hours.

The amount of NPS and amount of pre-evaporation before freeze precipitation is a matter of practice and you will get hold of it. A rule of thumb is to evaporate enough room temp naphtha (or heptane/hexane) until the solution gets milky - then it is saturated and ready for freeze precipitation.

The orange/brown residue is still active and can be used. I often make enhanced leaf out of it.

Donde Vayas
#4 Posted : 4/22/2018 9:04:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hyperspace_Mystery wrote:
Was this done with ACRB? Just curious because Swim has noticed the acrb seems to contain higher amounts of NMT or plant fats im not 100% sure, and often get similar yellowy results with the ACRB conpared with the MHRB . And yes after recrystallization it should be ok that jungle spice colour is normal i wouldnt worry too much especially after its been reX. However swim has seen good results with diggers shellite (naptha) as the solvent and it comes in bigger bottles swim has never tried the small zippo fluids either but if you evap test was good. Im sure it will be good spice. Nice work on the first extraction swim 👌👌

This was done with MHRB. Thanks mate I´ll go a head and give it a try soon, just been busy.

blue.magic wrote:
.... The amount of NPS and amount of pre-evaporation before freeze precipitation is a matter of practice and you will get hold of it. A rule of thumb is to evaporate enough room temp naphtha (or heptane/hexane) until the solution gets milky - then it is saturated and ready for freeze precipitation.

The orange/brown residue is still active and can be used. I often make enhanced leaf out of it.

Thanks mate, I´ll keep all this in mind the next time I give extraction a go