We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV123
Hexane or Heptane? Options

benzyme
#41 Posted : 8/7/2010 3:34:06 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

accessibility.

DCM is relatively hard to find OTC.
and yeah, most non-scientists are scared of chemicals.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Infundibulum
#42 Posted : 8/7/2010 3:35:55 AM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

Trickster wrote:
Infundibulum wrote:
There is no better solvent than methylene chloride, or DCM.

Wow!

Excuse my ignorance, but why would people continue using heptane, hexane, limonene, etc?

Is it because DCM is somewhat toxic?

No - each solvent has different characteristics and is suited for different tastes;

DCM pulls a lot of stuff other than alkaloids, e.g. shitloads of oils. DCM pulls require further cleanup, i.e. backsalting or extensive defatting during the acid step. And things cannot be freeze-precipitated out of DCM. Plus, DCM is difficult to procure in some countries.

DCM is a suspected carcinogen, even though this has not really been demonstrated. Chloroform, a solvent very similar and equally good as DCM is carcinogenic and by inference, DCM is treated with a degree of suspicion.

Hexane/heptane/octane/nonane/naphthas do what most people want them to do easily, can be freeze-precipitated and still produce good yields - they're easy to find too.

Limonene is for the foodgrade-ness obsessive compulsive kitchen chemists. It is similar to DCM in some respects, pulls really alot (from mimosa and cactus at least), yet it needs to be back-salted somehow. It is more difficult to distil (high boiling point) and requires more care when doing so since it is pretty flammable. Not really many people go into distilling and reusing limonene.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

soulfood
#43 Posted : 8/7/2010 3:37:19 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

I recently found a supplier of DCM and I'm loving it while it lasts.

I'm very much looking forward to doing a mimosa pull and straight evapping it for some sticky jurema goodness Smile

Infundibulum
#44 Posted : 8/7/2010 3:42:09 AM

ModeratorChemical expert

soulfood wrote:
I recently found a supplier of DCM and I'm loving it while it lasts.

I'm very much looking forward to doing a mimosa pull and straight evapping it for some sticky jurema goodness Smile

Man, in the UK this is too late - or too early being awake wring posts!

No?Very happy

soulfood
#45 Posted : 8/7/2010 3:53:28 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

Not for me Smile

I aint driving.

Trickster
#46 Posted : 8/7/2010 10:19:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

Infundibulum wrote:
Plus, DCM is difficult to procure in some countries.

DCM is a suspected carcinogen, even though this has not really been demonstrated. Chloroform, a solvent very similar and equally good as DCM is carcinogenic and by inference, DCM is treated with a degree of suspicion.

Swim can get DCM, but it is somewhat expensive - $30 per liter. It is high purity grade. She also has found a source of 1,1-Dichloroethane for $5 per l only, but it is reagent grade.

She supposes DCE will be as good as DCM, although boiling at a somewhat higher temp. For the purpose of alkaloids extraction does higher grade justify much higher price?

Infundibulum wrote:
Limonene is for the foodgrade-ness obsessive compulsive kitchen chemists.

Swim is rather experimentation obsessive Smile . Besides, limonene is not available here.
Do not seek the truth, just drop your opinions.

benzyme
#47 Posted : 8/7/2010 1:50:24 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

Trickster wrote:
Swim can get DCM, but it is somewhat expensive - $30 per liter.

that's not expensive at all, it's about avg. market price. what swiy doesn't realize is that it doesn't take nearly as much dcm to extract the alks as it does with naptha or even xylene. 50 mL could easily dissolve 2-3 grams of dmt.
DCE should work well too.

Quote:
For the purpose of alkaloids extraction does higher grade justify much higher price?

probably not.

"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

fraterS.O.L.
#48 Posted : 8/7/2010 3:18:52 PM

Bill Nye

Ok, thats a bit of info to mill over. A few questions.
Can DCM be utilised in the FASA method?
Since stb is out of the question, wouldn't it not pull as much? Or does its sheer bad-assery do more than lye ever could?
Does it need to be dryed?
I still need hex brands for the US
"Then he looked right through me
With somniferous almond eyes
Don't even know what that means
Must remember to write it down,
This is so real
Like the time Dave floated away
See my heart is pounding
'Cause this **** never happens to me!"
Tool - Rosetta Stoned

ANYTHING I POST ONLY TOOK PLACE IN REALMS OF PURE IDEA AND THOUGHT, ANY PICTURES I POST ARE STRAIGHT FROM GOOGLE IMAGES. ANY AND ALL PROCESSES I CLAIM TO CARRY OUT HAVE NOT ACTUALLY OCCURRED IN PHYSICAL REALITY, AND THEREFORE VIOLATE NO PHYSICAL LAW. WHEN SUCH THINGS ARE BANNED FROM THOUGHT I WILL CEASE TO CARRY THEM OUT EVEN IN THE ETHER.

Infundibulum
#49 Posted : 8/7/2010 6:23:41 PM

ModeratorChemical expert

fraterS.O.L. wrote:
Can DCM be utilised in the FASA method?

No, it can't. FASA and DCM do not blend like FASA blends with xylene/toluene.

It is better to salt out using some other acid in aqueous environment

fraterS.O.L. wrote:
Since stb is out of the question, wouldn't it not pull as much? Or does its sheer bad-assery do more than lye ever could?
Does it need to be dryed?

It is hard to understand you here.

fraterS.O.L.
#50 Posted : 8/7/2010 7:25:20 PM

Bill Nye

Infundibulum wrote:

No, it can't. FASA and DCM do not blend like FASA blends with xylene/toluene.

It is better to salt out using some other acid in aqueous environment

Then rebasify, pull again, & evap?

Infundibulum wrote:
It is hard to understand you here.

STBs expose spice hidden in the bark right? Wouldn't that mean with A/Bs there's less to pull? And I meant should DCM be dryed like acetone? Sorry for the confusing choice of words.
"Then he looked right through me
With somniferous almond eyes
Don't even know what that means
Must remember to write it down,
This is so real
Like the time Dave floated away
See my heart is pounding
'Cause this **** never happens to me!"
Tool - Rosetta Stoned

ANYTHING I POST ONLY TOOK PLACE IN REALMS OF PURE IDEA AND THOUGHT, ANY PICTURES I POST ARE STRAIGHT FROM GOOGLE IMAGES. ANY AND ALL PROCESSES I CLAIM TO CARRY OUT HAVE NOT ACTUALLY OCCURRED IN PHYSICAL REALITY, AND THEREFORE VIOLATE NO PHYSICAL LAW. WHEN SUCH THINGS ARE BANNED FROM THOUGHT I WILL CEASE TO CARRY THEM OUT EVEN IN THE ETHER.

UK Explorer
#51 Posted : 8/9/2010 8:19:29 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Great stuff guys really feel we've learnt a little from this thread even though some of the technical talk at first went straight over our head.

A FOAF has sourced naphtha and hexane, with a small order of each to check purity first. As these all came in the solvents section he was wondering if any would be of particular use?:

2-butoxyethanol / Ethylene Glycol butyl ether
1-Methoxy-2-Propanol, PM
Acetone - 99.5%
Benzyl Alcohol 99+%
DPG, DiPropylene Glycol
Hexane 110-54-3
IPM Isopropyl Myristate BP/USP
MEA, Monoethanolamine
MEG, Mono Ethylene Glycol
Mono Propylene Glycol USP
Orange Terpenes
Rubbing Alcohol - 70%
Solvent Naphtha
TEA, Triethanolamine
THF Tetrahydrofura

He reports that he is at a bit of a quandry now whether to go for just the DMT with a solvent like hexane and then pull jungle spice seperately OR whether it would be best to have it all together (for a more full-bodied experience?)?

In a nutshell can anyone explain the differences in the 3(?) journeys?

Have read of the stark differences in DMT and jungle spice, is a combo a potent middle ground?

Rivea
#52 Posted : 8/11/2010 6:22:36 AM

No.. that can't be...

Senior Member | Skills: Harmalas, A/B Extraction, Sonication, Sterile Processing, Hardware design, Craftsman

benzyme wrote:
yeah..

so spice is marginally soluble in the light aliphatics such as hexane and heptane, and thus it stands to reason that heating the solvent would be necessary to get DMT to go into solution. obviously, you won't be able to take the temp very high for solvents like pet ether, which is why those solvents (hexanes/pet ether) should be reserved for recrystallization. heptane is acceptable as an extraction solvent, but VM&P is probably better.

I had a 1% yield on this extraction, but I did do 7 pulls using the PE. Then again maybe my MHRB has a lot left in it. I did keep the basified solution and will try extracting it again using something heavier to see if I missed any significant amounts of spice.

Any more thoughts Benzyme?
Everything mentioned herein has been deemed by our staff of expert psychiatrists to be the delusional rantings of a madman who has been treated with Thorazine who is hospitalized within the confines of our locked facility. This patient sometimes requires the application of 6 point leather restraints and electrodes at the temples to break his delusions. Therefore, take everything mentioned above with a grain of salt...

69ron
#53 Posted : 8/11/2010 9:47:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

benzyme wrote:
Trickster wrote:
Swim can get DCM, but it is somewhat expensive - $30 per liter.

that's not expensive at all, it's about avg. market price. what swiy doesn't realize is that it doesn't take nearly as much dcm to extract the alks as it does with naptha or even xylene. 50 mL could easily dissolve 2-3 grams of dmt.
DCE should work well too.

Quote:
For the purpose of alkaloids extraction does higher grade justify much higher price?

probably not.

Also factor in how CHEAP it is to redistill DCM. It distills super fast and at a very low temperature. So that initial $30 or so per liter is not much at all when you consider that SWIM has been using the same liter for 2 years! It's so easy to recycle it. Of course it's not 1 liter anymore, a little loss here and there is going to happen, but if you're good about minimizing loss it can last a long time.

The only downside to DCM is its toxicity. If only there was a solvent as great as DCM that was less toxic. That would be fantastic.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

Trickster
#54 Posted : 8/13/2010 12:46:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

69ron wrote:
The only downside to DCM is its toxicity. If only there was a solvent as great as DCM that was less toxic. That would be fantastic.

Is 1,1-Dichloroethane less toxic?
Do not seek the truth, just drop your opinions.

DiMiTriX
#55 Posted : 9/20/2013 6:21:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

swim have just bought about 700ml of n-hexane for 2.90โ‚ฌ..that's good! he probably will try to recrystallize some of his dmt,and maybe,try to reduce the yellow spice with some magnesium if it works!Rolling eyes
Tz'is aná

Orion
#56 Posted : 9/20/2013 9:26:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

benzyme wrote:
this hexane vs. heptane talk is misleading.
neither is better than the other because they have identical polarity index values.
there's no advantage to using one over the other.

also, there is no alkaloid specific solvent, i don't know who started this myth. in separation science, binary solvent mixtures are typically used, varying the composition over time. this is run against a stationary solid phase. sometimes more than two solvents are used, even then, the mixture is not alkaloid-specific.

Back on topic: I've been trying to tell these nuckas this for ages. THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HEPTANE AND HEXANE for extractions or recrystallizing. Put this in the bollocks bin with pineals and jungle spice.

Wanna fight about it ?

Right, outside.
Art Van D'lay wrote:
Smoalk. It. And. See.

Eaglepath
#57 Posted : 4/22/2018 4:58:34 PM

I rather root my values in my own hallucinations than in society´s neurotic illusions..

I know this thread is old but just want to add that I have never used anything else than Hexane for both extraction and Re-x.

I do not know if I agree that it is a selective solvent due to first "yield" is a different experience than after Re-X, so it seems that there is other alkaloids as well.

Alright...Smile
"Too cute to live, too cozy to die" - Eaglepath

PREV123