We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Why is Synthetic DMT Orange/Red? Options

twinkletoes
#1 Posted : 10/20/2009 4:26:44 AM

Arcturiannia

A friend told me that his ex-girlfriend's cousin's friend's friend had a chunk of synthetic dmt that was translucent but orange/red in color.

I was wondering why synthetic dmt might be orange/red in color? With extracted material, it is clearly because there are still other plant materials remaining, but i am wondering why this would be the case with synthetic material.

I apologize if this has been discussed before... I did a search and didn't find anything. If it has been discussed before, if someone could point me in the right direction....

Thank ya!

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

soulfood
#2 Posted : 10/20/2009 4:28:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

The yellowing is caused by oxidisation of the molecule itself, not just impurities.

twinkletoes
#3 Posted : 10/20/2009 4:52:58 AM

Arcturiannia

mmmm.... it's not quite the yellowing that I know of from oxidation. It's more of an orangey reddish color...

endlessness
#4 Posted : 10/20/2009 9:28:25 AM

DMT-Nexus member

dmt is dmt is dmt, doesnt matter if its synthetic or extracted. pure DMT, wherever its from, is white/transluscent, so if there is something orange red, it can be impurities (byproducts and/or precursors in the synthesis maybe..?), oxidation of dmt and so on...

Another possibility is your friend was told some 'tales' by people who gave it to him and were trying to sound impressive, by saying it was synthesized but it was actually extracted (maybe some jungle spice or something..?)

Last option I thought of is if some colouring was added to pure dmt.. I never really heard about this actually being done but I remember some people discussing here in the forum the possibility of, 'just for the fun', adding some kind of food colouring to crystals.. Dont think this is very likely but who knows..

In any case you can be sure that there is no difference between extracted and synthesized, considering they are both pure

69ron
#5 Posted : 10/20/2009 8:02:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

It’s most likely impurities present; nasty chemicals left behind from the synthesis. This is the main reason I don't like synthetic alkaloids. Unless a lot of work is done to purify them, they often have really nasty toxic chemicals present in them. Just think about all the bad acid out there that’s real acid that’s just not made well, with all sorts of toxic impurities present, sometimes enough to make people sick. Good quality LSD is pretty much non-toxic, but badly made LSD can be very toxic. LSD is made from ergot. Ergot is very toxic, containing many toxins, and sometimes those toxins are present in badly made acid. Fortunately, acid is normally sold on blotters so these impurities are only present in small amounts, but when it comes to other drugs like DMT, such impurities can be present in highly toxic amounts.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

twinkletoes
#6 Posted : 10/20/2009 8:39:33 PM

Arcturiannia

So... would one recrystallize synthetic material the same way as extracted material?

endlessness
#7 Posted : 10/20/2009 9:10:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

yep.. redissolve in around 30ml heptane/hexane/naphtha per g of impure product in thin container, leave goo behind pippetting the top solvent layer out, and into the freezer...

repeat a couple of times to make sure

twinkletoes
#8 Posted : 10/31/2009 6:32:39 PM

Arcturiannia

Okay, so my friend's ex-girlfriend's cousin's friend's friend went ahead and recrystallized the synthetic orangey-brown dmt. The result was sparking clear, transluscent crystals... as clean-looking as could conceivably be possible.

The thing is, there was no orangey-brown residue left behind. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. The container was left completely clean. Rather than separating during recrystalization, the color just changed.

Can anyone explain?

The original orangey-brown stuff was in one large chunk. The post-recrystallization material is the typical, numerous smaller crystals. Could this impact the appearance of the color?

Thanx all...

burnt
#9 Posted : 11/1/2009 1:17:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

chemicals change color based on how they arrange themselves. If a compound was dissolved in ethanol and the solvent evaporated in lets say at 40 degrees C at reduced pressure from ethanol it may have a different color then if it was allowed to slowly recrystallize in a recrystallization process. The molecules arrange completely differently which can give them color.

Also some compounds may only have color when in the presence of other compounds.

While color may be an ok simple initial assessment of purity it is by no means the final say. You can't judge purity based on color. Purity can only truly be assessed by spectroscopy and or chromatography or other tests like melting points (although thats not fool proof either).

http://www.sciencedirect...6683d555bed11d24b25c8681

This paper "An analytical perspective on favoured synthetic routes to the psychoactive tryptamines" by Brandt et al discusses many of the impurities that can be found in internet synthetic procedures for tryptamines.

Quote:
This is the main reason I don't like synthetic alkaloids. Unless a lot of work is done to purify them, they often have really nasty toxic chemicals present in them.

This is not always true and there are many cases where a synthetic procedure leads to a much purer product then an isolation procedure in lesser steps.

69ron
#10 Posted : 11/1/2009 9:23:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

burnt wrote:
Quote:
This is the main reason I don't like synthetic alkaloids. Unless a lot of work is done to purify them, they often have really nasty toxic chemicals present in them.

This is not always true and there are many cases where a synthetic procedure leads to a much purer product then an isolation procedure in lesser steps.

Considering all the badly made acid SWIM had in the past, this is a real issue. Many illicit drugs contains tons of impurities. Many times these chemists are working with chemicals that they should not be using such as technical grade. Or sometimes they will substitute one chemical for another because the actual chemicals needed for a tech might be hard to get. Other times, they just use whatever is cheap.

A lot of bad chemists are out there making illegal drugs. Don’t take the chance on your health.

If you extract DMT using d-limonene, and other 100% food safe ingredients, you don’t need to worry about this. But if you buy synthetic DMT, you’d better be damn sure the chemist didn’t use technical grade chemicals in the synthesis, because if he did, you have no idea what sort of toxins are present in the final product, or if it was even made properly.

People die from poorly made RC drugs. This is a fact. So be careful using any synthetic form of DMT. Chances are it was made by an amateur using technical grade chemicals and the cleanup step wasn’t done well enough.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

burnt
#11 Posted : 11/3/2009 6:26:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

Quote:

A lot of bad chemists are out there making illegal drugs. Don’t take the chance on your health.

haha yea I definitely agree with that. I was thinking in the professional world (GMP labs etc). Isolation is sometimes very difficult to get pharmaceutical grade products and makes synthesis sometimes cheaper and easier. But yea you were referring to illegal producers and in that case I agree half of them are wacked and don't always know what they are doing.