We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Powder MHRB STB Extraction with NaOH, NaCl and toluene => Huge emulsion Options

pete666
#1 Posted : 3/26/2018 7:35:58 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi guys,

should be in DMT Extraction-STB thread, but I don't have access there. Please move it if you can.

This post is meant to be purely informational for someone who might think the same way as me - to add plenty of NaCl and don't have to bother with emulsions.

Well, I am just in the middle of STB MHRB extraction, from powderized bark. I have decided to test how good is NaCl at preventing emulsion problems, so decided to go with (rather low) 10ml of water for 1g of bark and 1g of lye. Vessel was left one day with occasional shaking before np was added. After additon the mixture was violently shaked for about 3 minutes in total. Plenty of air in the vessel allowed to shake it really well.
After few minutes two layers separated perfectly, without any "emulsion" layer in between. The problem was that what was missing was not the emulsion layer, but the np layer. The top layer was consistent emulsion, without any bigger bubbles. The bubbles were impossible to see by eye, they were very small. The emulsion was very stable.

In short, emulsion was separated, excess water wass added - nothing. Excess (more than could be dissolved) NaOH was added - nothing. Excess (more than could be dissolved) NaCl was added - nothing. 60C bath with stirring for about one hour - nothing. 20 minutes heated on vibrating washing mashine - nothing.

I will try alcohol and water washes and let you know whether it worked.

*EDIT : Emulsion was solved, if interested, just read on...*

But the result is : DO NOT EXPECT WONDERS FROM NaCl FOR EMULSION PREVENTION. At least for some kinds.
NaCl helped me a lot with mescaline extractions, but here it is another tale...
Acceptance of the fact that our reality is not real doesn't in fact mean it is not real. It just leads to better understanding what real means.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Northerner
#2 Posted : 3/26/2018 8:32:42 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Pressure cook your bark, never have an emulsion again. Wink
The nearest we ever come to knowing truth is when we are witness to paradox.

pete666
#3 Posted : 3/26/2018 10:54:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for your answer.
The aim is to place everything into the vessel at the beginning and flush it at the end. All is fully isolated within the vessel, no cooking, no filtering, no mess.
Another reason is to avoid any temperatures higher than 30C
Acceptance of the fact that our reality is not real doesn't in fact mean it is not real. It just leads to better understanding what real means.

Northerner
#4 Posted : 3/26/2018 11:09:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Pouring the bark from a pressure cooker into a jar isn't that messy if you have a funnel.

But best of luck mate. STB can be awesome, despite it's shortcomings.

blue.magic
#5 Posted : 3/26/2018 3:16:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

You may try very slow and long stirring and/or vibration. There was a thread where people attached a mobile phone or vibrator to the container to break the emulsion.

I was researching some advanced emulsion breaking agents but it was very complicated topic and totally not worth the extra effort (required at least 3 extra steps).

Now I simply filter the bark, reduce and filter again using round paper filter (I have a very large Buchner funnel). It is more work but less emulsion in the end.

The pressure cooking looks promising - will try that!

pete666
#6 Posted : 3/27/2018 7:23:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I liked the tip to use some vibrating device attached to the vessel and used my powerful aquarium pump fixed by tapes. The glass vessel was vibrating quite a lot.

After 10 hours - nothing Sad The emulsion is still intact

I've read somewhere that the emulsion could be dissolved by ethanol. I believe it might be true. The problem is I don't have an idea what to do with the resulting mix. DMT is soluble in ethanol and I suspect some would go there rather than to np. So this is probably not the path to go...

Anyway, my aim is not to break the emulsion, but to find the way how to prevent it. I will discard this and try few another combinations of water/lye/NaCl.

If anyone wanted me to try something with the emulsion, just let me know before I flush it

Northerner
#7 Posted : 3/27/2018 8:32:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

blue.magic wrote:
The pressure cooking looks promising - will try that!

180mins @ 15 psi, you can literally shake it on the first pull. Emulsion doesn't form.

It does pull a lot of oils though so a backsalt is essential with Acacia plant sources, or you could just be loving cheese and bright yellow xtals with MHRB.

downwardsfromzero
#8 Posted : 3/28/2018 2:10:46 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

pete666 wrote:
If anyone wanted me to try something with the emulsion, just let me know before I flush it
Add acid, evaporate all volatiles and start again. Be more careful with the shaking next time!

There's no need to chuck it away, especially since it contains toluene. If you have distillation apparatus you can recover your toluene as well.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

pete666
#9 Posted : 3/28/2018 6:27:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:
Add acid, evaporate all volatiles and start again. Be more careful with the shaking next time!

Yes, I was thinking about that as well. Acidification of the emulsion is one of the advices I found on the web. PH to 2-3. It was not dmt-related source but maybe it is worth try. If it doesn't help, I might try to simmer it for a while. Once dmt is in the salt form, it should be ok. If that doesn't help, the evaporation seems to be the only remedy.

Initially I was not interested in solving emulsion Smile I wanted to avoid it. I was shaking violently intentionally hoping that the excess NaCl will help.
Anyway, when I have such a nice emulsion, I will try the acidification an simmer.

downwardsfromzero wrote:
There's no need to chuck it away, especially since it contains toluene. If you have distillation apparatus you can recover your toluene as well.

I have, but I am trying to stay on the safe side

urtica
#10 Posted : 3/28/2018 5:14:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Put it in the corner for 1 week.
urtica is a fictional character. nothing written by this fictional character has anything to do with reality. if urtica was real, and performing any activities that are restricted by certain governmental forces, these activities would be performed in Heaven where nothing is true & everything is permitted.

downwardsfromzero
#11 Posted : 3/28/2018 5:18:32 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

urtica wrote:
Put it in the corner for 1 week.

Yeah, I'd probably just stick it in the back of the fridge for a month or three.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."

pete666
#12 Posted : 3/29/2018 6:23:14 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for tips guys

Anyway, I have successfully broken the emulsion yesterday.
The emulsion was separated from the extraction vessel, put into beaker and HCl was added. When PH was about 2-3, the emulsion magically disintegrated. Within seconds I had toluene and white water layer perfectly separated. No even simmering needed

The solution was basified again and exctracted 3x with toluene. Then it was returned back to the extraction vessel for next pull(s)

I would say there had to be some water, so it wouldn't hurt adding some if the emulsion was separated without it.

So, just a small tip how to get rid of this nasty emulsion for someone who might be so lucky to have it. Just bear in mind that I have used NaCl in the extraction, so maybe the emulsion may (or may not) be correlated with that.

downwardsfromzero
#13 Posted : 3/29/2018 2:50:38 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Quote:
bear in mind that I have used NaCl in the extraction, so maybe the emulsion may (or may not) be correlated with that.

The emulsion is correlated with the particulates from the powdered bark used, combined with excessive shaking and maybe insufficient water. IMHO.

pete666
#14 Posted : 3/29/2018 3:18:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:
The emulsion is correlated with the particulates from the powdered bark used, combined with excessive shaking and maybe insufficient water. IMHO.

I think so as well. But there is no enough data to be 100% sure, therefore the notice.
The water was fully satrurated by NaCl, so there might be enough water, but it was too 'thick'

downwardsfromzero
#15 Posted : 3/29/2018 6:40:20 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

pete666 wrote:
downwardsfromzero wrote:

I think so as well. But there is no enough data to be 100% sure, therefore the notice.
The water was fully satrurated by NaCl, so there might be enough water, but it was too 'thick'

If the brine is too viscous, that's the same as insufficient water Very happy

Astro_traveler
#16 Posted : 6/18/2018 7:32:45 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Where can someone acquire root bark powder?
Shadow wrote:
Be still now. I am with you, I am deep within you; You are at peace. You cannot be harmed; You will not suffer. Breathe deeply, Breathe in the healing love of the universe, And breathe out the sickness which has taken you. I am with you.

pete666
#17 Posted : 6/18/2018 7:45:47 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Astro_traveler wrote:
Where can someone acquire root bark powder?

In a 1kW mixer
Seriously - it is not allowed to ask such questions in forums/chat