We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Ingesting Activated Charcoal Options

glitchdoc
#1 Posted : 8/29/2017 4:24:42 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey guys!

Had a quick question. I know activated charcoal is not toxic.. but if some is still left after using it as a means to clean up spice, can it potentially absorb the spice before you do if ingesting? will the spice have reduced effects? Has anyone tried this? Smile

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

endlessness
#2 Posted : 8/29/2017 11:02:05 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
AC could make you lose yield. That is why it is used in some cases of alkaloid poisoning, because it can trap some alkaloids. It has been documented that morphine, strychnine and many other alkaloids are absorbed by AC, its possible tryptamines too (Silva et al 1998 )

hope that helps Smile

glitchdoc
#3 Posted : 8/29/2017 1:01:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you for the reply! Big grin

I think it did absorb some of my yield because it's been dramatically reduced.. (wont be doing that again).. I only used like 0.0001 mg of the charcoal and it turned everything grey and a coffee filter won't do the job.

I'm just going to go ahead and try out the spice as-is this weekend. I'll let chy'all know how goes.

blue.magic
#4 Posted : 8/29/2017 4:54:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I wouldn't use coffee filter - it will soak and suck up your solvent with DMT in it. I know because I lost over 60% yield this way (it soaked over 100 milligrams).

I found solvent washing with alkaline water followed by recrystallization is more than enough to get an excellent product to vaporize. I just wash the solvent when making changa.

If you still want super pure DMT, you can have better results with vacuum filtration with small Buchner funnel, glass micro fiber filter pad and a Celite pad (food grade diatomaceous earth or DE will also do - I however need to run some solvent through it to remove DE particles that came through).

Following analytical techniques (washing glassware with solvent three times, washing the pad etc.) will help you save some yield.

But some will be eaten by AC anyway.

Here is an excellent tutorial on how to make a Celite pad if you are interested:

Jees
#5 Posted : 8/29/2017 5:47:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Norit AC capsules against diarrhea. This is where I get my AC from to work with, opening such capsules.
200 mg per capsule. You're fine Thumbs up

glitchdoc
#6 Posted : 9/3/2017 6:59:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you guys so much for the great advice!! I didn't know that about the filter.. I must have lost a bunch through coffee filters.. :'(

I tried for my first ceremony this weekend but didn't have success. I ate 3.5g of syrian rue straight up, waited an hour and started with 60mg of spice... then another 30mg spice an hour later... then another 0.5g rue and 30 spice.. nothing.

I don't know if it had anything to do with the tiny bit of charcoal in with the spice.

Next time will be brewing tea with yellow aya vine and not ingesting extract

Jees
#7 Posted : 9/3/2017 8:21:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

You might have waited way too long. Take together next time?

Auxin
#8 Posted : 9/3/2017 10:45:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Too long, and reduced bioavailability from eating the seeds.
I know it tastes horrible, but rue tea or a solution of mansked rue alkaloids will be immediate and complete in its action.

Camponotus
#9 Posted : 3/18/2018 3:12:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

blue.magic wrote:

Hey blue.magic Smile

Is there any difference between the coffee filter and a "lab grade" filter paper in terms of spice-loss?

If I would use a "buchner " with a "glass fiber pad " instead and give them Celite a try - wouldn't it also rip the compound out of the solvent?

Or do you advise washing with some clear solvent after the initial main soup is through?

Didn't get the difference between the Celite acting as a Sponge more or less than a Coffee filter probably would?

But great advise thou, please give me some more detail Big grin

I'm not a filtration pro yet Pleased but to moisten the filter paper before filtration wasn't new to me fortunately Cool

Kind regards & HellO everyone Twisted Evil
It's the job that's never started as takes longest to finish. - J.R.R. Tolkien

How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it. - Alexander Shulgin

blue.magic
#10 Posted : 3/18/2018 10:39:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Camponotus wrote:
Is there any difference between the coffee filter and a "lab grade" filter paper in terms of spice-loss?

If I would use a "buchner " with a "glass fiber pad " instead and give them Celite a try - wouldn't it also rip the compound out of the solvent?

Or do you advise washing with some clear solvent after the initial main soup is through?

There are many grades of lab filters, from simple paper ones that perform just like a coffee filter to glass fiber and advanced membrane filters for analytical chemistry, that totally does not worth the money for our purposes.

The simplest round paper filter will do since all we need it for is to hold Celite in place while the Celite does all the filtration work.

One big advantage of round filters (for Buchner funnel) over cofee filters is their smaller surface area. You need much less solvent to wash the filter to get virtually all the spice through since all the solvent is forced through the filter by vacuum. Coffee filter relies on mere gravity and will soak up the solvent with spice and it will be much harder to wash it without using excess solvent.

Camponotus wrote:
Didn't get the difference between the Celite acting as a Sponge more or less than a Coffee filter probably would?

Once the Celite is pre-washed with (preferably) the same solvent you use for your spice it won't expand. It will rather form a compact "cake".

It will trap some spice, yes, but the Celite pad is usually washed with fresh solvent after filtration to push the last bits through.

Camponotus
#11 Posted : 3/18/2018 8:37:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

blue.magic wrote:

It will trap some spice, yes, but the Celite pad is usually washed with fresh solvent after filtration to push the last bits through.

Thank you very much for your fast reply! Smile
I think I try this celite thing at some point, but with two papers it doesn't seem to do the trick... maybe with a fiber pad and pressed celite, before filtration remove the papers... Idk
Have got a 125mm Buchner so this thing is tricky in general with this size!

EDIT : and I just have to mention that I only do very little extractions around 100g of leaf for example so I'm trying to perfectionize in every aspect - and a loss of 100mg would be a lot in my case, but 100% is impossible to reach I know... just want doing it right Big grin

blue.magic wrote:

I found solvent washing with alkaline water followed by recrystallization is more than enough to get an excellent product to vaporize. I just wash the solvent when making changa.

Could you explain this step a bit more detailed tek-like, please?
How do you proceed after the basifying and separation step?

EDIT : Ahh I think you meant this Washing Spice related to Solvent washing !?
So everything bespoken in this thread is about filtration and cleaning AFTER the pull(s)? Surprised
It's the job that's never started as takes longest to finish. - J.R.R. Tolkien

How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it. - Alexander Shulgin