We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Exercise in older cyclists/endurance athletes & immunity decline Options

#1 Posted : 3/10/2018 8:04:15 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Auxin
#2 Posted : 3/10/2018 9:28:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

One important thing that article failed to mention is that the cohort studied had been highly physically active most of their adult life. The study didnt show that exercising at the age of 80 gives you the thymic fitness of a 20 year old, it showed that if you exercise vigorously for 60 years your thymus will still be fit at the end.
Exercise was not shown to reverse thymic involution, just to slow or even stop it.
So dont wait, exercise now.

I would love to see clinical studies on harmine treatment or protracted fasting on thymic function in the elderly. Both have been shown to have a regenerative effect on other organs.

#3 Posted : 3/11/2018 12:06:35 AM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

Auxin wrote:
One important thing that article failed to mention is that the cohort studied had been highly physically active most of their adult life. The study didnt show that exercising at the age of 80 gives you the thymic fitness of a 20 year old, it showed that if you exercise vigorously for 60 years your thymus will still be fit at the end.
Exercise was not shown to reverse thymic involution, just to slow or even stop it.
So dont wait, exercise now.

I would love to see clinical studies on harmine treatment or protracted fasting on thymic function in the elderly. Both have been shown to have a regenerative effect on other organs.

Yeah, that's true. Thanks for pointing that out Smile

Yeah, if said people were to be sedentary/not that active for most [if not all] of their lives and not started exercising until 70-80 years old, then yeah I'd bet that the benefits aren't even close. I'm sure there's some benefit starting that late in life [if you're health at that point allows], versus never having started at all.

Hahaha I'd never imagine starting to exercise at 70-80 years old and think that I'm going to somehow attain certain physical/physiological aspects of a 20 years old. Laughing

** I'll edit the title of the thread, because it's misleading, my bad Very happy