We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Do you think death is psychedelic? Options

soulman
#1 Posted : 10/22/2009 11:12:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

A strange question i know, and one that i know im obviously not gonna get a definitive answer to, but what are your thoughts on this?

The reason i ask is two fold.

Firstly, whenever i have had deep experiences with ethenogens, there has always been an underlying theme of death (for want of a better description) Not in a menacing or scary way, but rather more like.....oh so this is what death is like...this is what its like to die.
Does anybody else get this, or know what im talking about?

Secondly, if you ever read any reports for people who have had near death experiences, they seem to report things that are very characteristic of deep psychedelic experiences e.g. time didnt exist, i was everywhere and nowhere at the same time, i had infinite knowledge and knew information that i didnt know before etc etc.
There certainly seems to be some parallels which i find interesting.

What are yalls thoughts on this?
What would be interesting if anyone on here has had a near death experience and can compare the two experiences
You have to go within or you go without

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

soulfood
#2 Posted : 10/22/2009 11:55:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

Where as a highly dedicated agnostic I can either tell you that it's either the most psychedelic thing ever or impossible to experience as you're not there to experience it.

The one time I actually thought I was dying on a high mushroom dose however, was a very magical and life changing experience. At first I was scared, but then I just gave in and looked back on my life and just lay there feeling ever so serene and let myself drift away... of course the next thing I remember was seeing 2 policemans faces squishing about and rearranging, saying "WHAT's YOUR NAME?!?!" About a million times before I remember what language was, then thinking "well this is it... it's prison for me and the whole world will no what a depraved drugged up sicko I am. But hey! Now I've realised how great the oppotunity of life is, all that doesn't matter anymore" and just went with it. Lovely folk drove me home though and they kept asking me about my experiences in the car on the way back, not that I was in a fit state to be recalling details, but I love english police Smile.

But obviously death itself is beyond comprehension in this realm as I hear tell it's a pretty one way street. But my little taste of death was pretty good Smile

MagikVenom
#3 Posted : 10/23/2009 2:05:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

soulfood wrote:
Where as a highly dedicated agnostic I can either tell you that it's either the most psychedelic thing ever or impossible to experience as you're not there to experience it.

The one time I actually thought I was dying on a high mushroom dose however, was a very magical and life changing experience. At first I was scared, but then I just gave in and looked back on my life and just lay there feeling ever so serene and let myself drift away... of course the next thing I remember was seeing 2 policemans faces squishing about and rearranging, saying "WHAT's YOUR NAME?!?!" About a million times before I remember what language was, then thinking "well this is it... it's prison for me and the whole world will no what a depraved drugged up sicko I am. But hey! Now I've realised how great the oppotunity of life is, all that doesn't matter anymore" and just went with it. Lovely folk drove me home though and they kept asking me about my experiences in the car on the way back, not that I was in a fit state to be recalling details, but I love english police Smile.

But obviously death itself is beyond comprehension in this realm as I hear tell it's a pretty one way street. But my little taste of death was pretty good Smile

I always love scary stories with happy endings.(DMT)

The question is tough because I dont know what death is yet so cant say one way or another. Either my brain dies and conciseness ends or my brain dies and conciseness does not end. To be or not to be that is the question. I do not know.

PEACE
MV

soulman
#4 Posted : 10/23/2009 10:37:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I know i know. No one can obviously answer this question, and i dont really know what i was trying to achieve by asking it. Thtas why i said it would be cool if anyone on here who had had a near death experience could shed some light. Just wondered what yalls thoughts on it where really.

One things for sure though. I certainly dont believe death is the end at all....and ethneogens have defo helped to reinforce this gut feeling for me.
Consciousness is eternal, it just doesnt look that way from our current perspective.

Aegle
#5 Posted : 10/23/2009 12:16:19 PM

Cloud Whisperer

Senior Member | Skills: South African botanicals, Mushroom cultivator, Changa enthusiast, Permaculture, Counselling, Photography, Writing

Soulman

This is a really interesting question, I personally believe death is a psychedelic experience. If you read the Tibetan Book of the Dead, not The Psychedelic Experience by Timothy Leary the original Tibetan Book of the Dead you will see what i mean. Death is one of the most psychedelic experiences we will ever experience. Wink

Much Peace and Sunshine
The Nexus Art Gallery | The Nexian | DMT Nexus Research | The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

The fate of our times is characterised by rationalisation and intellectualisation and, above all, by the disenchantment of the world.

Following a Path of Compassion and Heart

soulman
#6 Posted : 10/23/2009 12:43:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Aegle wrote:
Soulman

This is a really interesting question, I personally believe death is a psychedelic experience. If you read the Tibetan Book of the Dead, not The Psychedelic Experience by Timothy Leary the original Tibetan Book of the Dead you will see what i mean. Death is one of the most psychedelic experiences we will ever experience. Wink

Much Peace and Sunshine

I have that as an Audio book, but just havent got round to listening to it yet. Shall do soon.
Could you elborate a little on what it says.

Like i said earlier with reading NDE reports there are certainy similarities, but i wonder if you would get the psychedelic visuals.

The word psychedlic actually means to reval the mind, so i guess in the act of physical death, there is nothing left to reveal other than the mind....ergo death is psychedelic.

Man im looking forward to it (in a non suicidal way Smile )

Aegle
#7 Posted : 10/23/2009 1:04:52 PM

Cloud Whisperer

Senior Member | Skills: South African botanicals, Mushroom cultivator, Changa enthusiast, Permaculture, Counselling, Photography, Writing

soulman wrote:
I have that as an Audio book, but just havent got round to listening to it yet. Shall do soon.
Could you elborate a little on what it says.

Like i said earlier with reading NDE reports there are certainy similarities, but i wonder if you would get the psychedelic visuals.

The word psychedlic actually means to reval the mind, so i guess in the act of physical death, there is nothing left to reveal other than the mind....ergo death is psychedelic.

Man im looking forward to it (in a non suicidal way Smile )

Soulman

Good to know, i hope that you listen to the audio book soon. Basically the book goes through the whole death experience systematically. There are practices in the book that you can do to help someone that is dying or has very recently died, the practices help to make a person feel less sacred and to help direct them to a more positive rebirth.

The book also describes how you can offer food to beings in the death process so they do not suffer as they cannot eat and drink if they are experiencing the death process. In Buddhist philosophy death is a process of rebirth and change, its not perceived as a negative process at all.

Much Peace and Happiness
The Nexus Art Gallery | The Nexian | DMT Nexus Research | The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook

The fate of our times is characterised by rationalisation and intellectualisation and, above all, by the disenchantment of the world.

soulman
#8 Posted : 10/23/2009 1:20:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah i did see a documentary on it once and there was this guy who just was sitting there talking to the corspe, giving him directions and guidence to navigate through the bardo's. Interesting stuff.

This is why if i align to any religion (which i dont) then it would be buddhist.
I also believe that death is just a transition of consciousness. We have just been conditioned to fear it as like i say, from our stand point in this reality, it appears to be the end.

Thanks for the info man

Aegle
#9 Posted : 10/23/2009 1:55:23 PM

Cloud Whisperer

soulman wrote:
Yeah i did see a documentary on it once and there was this guy who just was sitting there talking to the corspe, giving him directions and guidence to navigate through the bardo's. Interesting stuff.

This is why if i align to any religion (which i dont) then it would be buddhist.
I also believe that death is just a transition of consciousness. We have just been conditioned to fear it as like i say, from our stand point in this reality, it appears to be the end.

Thanks for the info man

Soulman

No worries man, I study Buddhist philosophy but i also have a lot of my own belief system and my own philosophies that I incorporate into to my life as well. Buddhism is the closest description that i can give to describing the main foundation of my life philosophy, indeed death is just a transition of consciousness. Rolling eyes

Much Peace and Compassion

Aegle
#10 Posted : 10/23/2009 1:56:09 PM

Cloud Whisperer

soulman wrote:

Thanks for the info man

Soulman

No worries man, I study Buddhist philosophy but i also have a lot of my own belief system and my own philosophies that I incorporate into to my life as well. Buddhism is the closest description that i can give to describing the main foundation of my life philosophy, indeed death is just a transition of consciousness. Rolling eyes

Much Peace and Compassion

DMTripper
#11 Posted : 10/24/2009 5:39:54 AM

John Murdoch IV

I think this is a very valid and good question. And yes I think the psychedelic experience can be very closely related to death. But you can experience everything on psychedelics, I think death is just one thing.

So my answer is that I feel that death doesn't need to be psychedelic but psychedelic can have the death theme and psychedelics can probably teach you a lot about death and is probably one of the best ways to prepare for it. So everything goes smooth and right Smile
I love my life but I'm kind of looking forward for my moment of physical death Smile I've always been a bit fascinated by the death moment Smile The transition.
––––––

DMTripper is a fictional character therefore everything he says here must be fiction.
I mean, who really believes there is such a place as Hyperspace!!

transitory
#12 Posted : 10/24/2009 6:18:38 PM

currently intergrating

soulfood-

this is not at all 'a strange question'. This is IMHO the most significant, urgent and meaningful question that one can possibly ask.
Quote:

whenever i have had deep experiences with entheogens, there has always been an underlying theme of death (for want of a better description) Not in a menacing or scary way, but rather more like.....oh so this is what death is like...this is what its like to die.
Does anybody else get this, or know what im talking about?

Yes Wink

I have (thankfully) only had near death experiences on heroic dose entheogens but I am now personally convinced that this is death. Sneak preview or not this is the experience of death. IMHO.

I find the experience both terrifying and enthralling in equal measure. Nothing commands one's attention quite like ecstatic, euphoric union with the absolute combined with ones actual impending ending.

soulfood-
Quote:
death itself is beyond comprehension in this realm as I hear tell it's a pretty one way street.

Quite Wink Whatever we are experiencing through the use of psychedelics cannot be the whole story, obviously. As MagikVenom says- the only truly honest answer we can receive here is 'I do not know.'

Quote:
One things for sure though. I certainly don't believe death is the end at all....and entheogens have defo helped to reinforce this gut feeling for me.
Consciousness is eternal, it just doesn't look that way from our current perspective.

Given the experiences that I have had ... yes, it is so. In this consensual reality mode of perception it's just not possible to be fully cognisant of 'the other'. That fact in no way makes 'the other' less real. My NDEs dictate that this 'other' force could eat our petty logic for its breakfast.

Aegle-
Quote:
Buddhism is the closest description that i can give to describing the main foundation of my life philosophy, indeed death is just a transition of consciousness.

My latest experience has led me to agree more with your Buddhist understanding than I could myself have achieved with any amount of study. I believe that something of the cycle of death and rebirth was revealed to me. I chose rebirth into this incarnation for one reason- the love of others. No ulterior motivation. My choice. More work yet to be done here. Pure and simple. As I am reborn with psychedelics I am grateful. It is a matter of both choice and necessity for the soul. There is no contradiction there. I am at that moment so grateful.

DMTripper-

Quote:
psychedelics can probably teach you a lot about death and is probably one of the best ways to prepare for it. So everything goes smooth and right

Yes. I am grateful to have had this opportunity to prepare. IMHO the psychedelic NDE is like draining water rapidly revolving about the plughole of this reality. You don't enter the hole but you can experience much of the fuss and bother that may accompany the transition. I almost used the phrase 'final' transition there- but I do not believe there is anything final about it. It doesn't surprise me to hear that LSD has been successfully used to ease anxiety in terminal cancer patients. Something of a dress-rehearsal for rebirth?

I would not pretend to know for sure weather death is psychedelic. But there is something in the psychedelic NDE that is both ancient and glorious and in the face of which we are powerless. There remains there, at the edge of death, something that transcends our understanding.
"Give enough that it feels good but not so much it hurts"
Life is not a task. There is absolutely nothing to attain except the realisation that there is absolutely nothing to attain.
What is sought remains hidden from the seeker by already being everything.

(Tony Parsons)

TruePsychonaut
#13 Posted : 10/24/2009 11:24:33 PM

Andy

Interesting question.Good post Smile

I have never had any NDE's,so i can't offer any real supposition,but i'd like to offer a theory that psychedelic trips could be,in themselves, preliminary phases in the passage into death.

Is it possible that our use of entheogenic substances only provides us with an insightful trip to the first stages of death.We have all experienced the other dimension and various entities and beings that reside there.
Maybe this first stage is an area where we are prepared for the final journey into death.All manner of procedures may be performed.From being probed,manipulated,having parts of our bodies dismembered,but also receiving knowledge,a greater understanding,a feeling of absolute love,and even performing sexual acts with these beings.Experiences here are numerous and varied.

And,as Dr Rick Strassman theorised,at death,or during a NDE,possibly a large amount of endogenic dmt,which being the natural biological form of dmt,is released from the pineal gland and sets in motion the true passage into death.Perhaps only the pineal gland itself is able to determine the subjects mortality.Hence the advent of the NDE.

Of course looking at the true nature of near death experiences,apart from the psychedelic induced,as with medical patients for example,human intervention plays a key part in life or death.

Still , at the end of it all,until death becomes you,you cant say one way of the other.
T'Psych

"Love is life.All,everything that I understand,I understand only because I love."

Aegle
#14 Posted : 10/26/2009 9:33:13 AM

Cloud Whisperer

transitory wrote:
Aegle- Buddhism is the closest description that i can give to describing the main foundation of my life philosophy, indeed death is just a transition of consciousness.

My latest experience has led me to agree more with your Buddhist understanding than I could myself have achieved with any amount of study. I believe that something of the cycle of death and rebirth was revealed to me. I chose rebirth into this incarnation for one reason- the love of others. No ulterior motivation. My choice. More work yet to be done here. Pure and simple. As I am reborn with psychedelics I am grateful. It is a matter of both choice and necessity for the soul. There is no contradiction there. I am at that moment so grateful.

Transitory

Beautifully said, through compassion we transcend our consciousness...

Much Peace and Happiness

soulman
#15 Posted : 10/26/2009 12:14:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Some interesting points made by all.
Ones that give rise to further questions!!!