We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV2345NEXT
Veganism and Ethics Options

Phantastica
#61 Posted : 10/27/2017 8:55:45 AM

DMT-Nexus member

PART 2/3

endlessness wrote:
Also, what is your take on nature's suffering and intervening? Lets say for example you see a lion killing a zebra.. Would you think we should separate them? Would it be better ethically, according to you, to avoid that killing by separating them two? Lets say for example I could create a huge fenced area where I'd separate lions from zebras, and I'd feed the lion only with roadkill or lab-grown meat.. now you dont have killing anymore, and the fenced area is large enough that they dont even notice they are closed in.. Is that better than what nature already provides, with the suffering included? Or does nature somehow get a free pass on suffering, and if so, what is the reasoning? If not, to what extent should we intervene to create a happy life for all animals, if we had the resources should we go into the jungle and separate all predators from preys, make rounded corners and remove thorns from plants to diminish suffering even more, etc etc ?

That is an interesting scenario to ponder upon! As it stands at the moment, I would let the lion kill the zebra, because separating them would kill the lion (due to lack of food). I'm not sure about lab-grown meat and so on in the lion example, because lions also have inherent carnivorous instincts to hunt and prey. Would the suppression of this inherent hunting instinct lead to suffering for lions? Is lab-grown meat healthy for lions? Would this upset the balance of ecosystem such that the ecosystem collapses, in turn leading to a greater degree of casualties?
There are are too many unknowns here and therefore, I'd focus on my personal choices and their consequences for now.
Before we can intervene to create happy lives for animals, we must first take responsibility to lessen the suffering that is resulting from our own actions and their consequences in the here and now.

endlessness wrote:
(all food for thought here, as mentioned before, I dont think things are black and white and sometimes answers are hard to find. Some suffering is a natural part of life, and to what extent we have to change that in each context is very complex to define.)

Yes that is true. I agree that some suffering is a natural part of life. I like your food for thoughts - they're fun Big grin

endlessness wrote:
Lastly, I'm not sure if I missed your answer, Phantastica, but what are your main reasons for being a vegan, in order of most important if that's possible?

Yes, my main reasons (in order of significance) are:
1) To end the suffering of animals
2) To end the killing of animals
3) To cultivate empathy, because I believe "peace begins on our plate." If I and others can be empathic towards animals, then we can learn to become empathic towards each other and stop the conflicts, wars, greed, and other major issues that we're facing
4) To create a positive impact on environment
5) Personal health and wellness

dreamer042 wrote:
Phantastica wrote:
1) I'm interested in knowing what made you go vegan in the first place (in the past)? Was it mainly because of animals, health or environment?
2) Exactly what new information did you discover that made you stop being vegan? For example, you mentioned a "good grasp on nutrition." What do you mean by this? Did you find that vegan food is not healthy?

1)Naivety, paired with propaganda/misinformation and peer pressure. I thought I was making the right choice on three of those counts, turns out the realities of all three situations are infinitely more complex than switching to veggie burgers.

I see - thanks for sharing that Dreamer. Could I ask what exactly was the discrepancy in the old and new information? What was the misinformation and how is that different from reality as you now perceive it?

dreamer042 wrote:
2) If I may quote, I think dfz nailed it:
downwardsfromzero wrote:
It made me realize I had been being dogmatic unto myself and that this form of neurosis had caused my health to suffer.

Maintaining optimal nutrition while adhering to a completely plant based diet is significantly more difficult and requires immensely more reliance on imported sources of nutrition than including a few ethically sourced local or homegrown animal products in one's diet.

What nutrients do you think are difficult to acquire? I'm interested because my experience and that of many others I know has been very different. I feel amazing in my body and I know I'm getting adequate nutrients with little to no effort. I have more energy, higher stamina, quick muscle recovery (from working out), I don't get constipated and I don't get sick. This experience is also backed by science.

dreamer042 wrote:
Phantastica wrote:
Let's consider other issues of social justice for a moment - slavery, rape, racism, feminism, sexism, heterosexism - In these cases, is a middle path better or complete abolition?

Since you decided to repeat yourself, I'll address this by simply noting that I politely decline to engage with your attempts to derail the topic with strawmen and loaded questions.

How is it derailing the topic? And what makes it a "loaded question"? I see strong parallels here. If you don't see the parallels, then please explain why not.

dreamer042 wrote:
Phantastica wrote:
Would you agree that unnecessary killing of animals is unethical?

More loaded questions. Please do expound upon difference between necessary and unnecessary killing and your qualifications for being the arbitrator of those decisions.

The difference between necessary killing and unnecessary killing is a simple one. In my view, killing is necessary (and can be justified) if one needs to kill for survival or self-defense. It is unnecessary otherwise.
I never claimed to be an arbitrator of those decisions. I only started a discussion and asked for people's own views. If I want to better understand someone's perspective or get to the root of the argument, then I pose questions - and I expect that people will either back up their views or change in light of new information. That is the kind of conversation that results in mutual growth, and it is with that in mind that I asked you the questions.

dreamer042 wrote:
Phantastica wrote:
an average vegan person has more than 50% lower carbon footprint than an average meat-eater.

I'm going to start by reminding you of this section of the forum attitude, then I'm going to ask you to provide a legitimate and reliable source (ie. not a cherry picked quote from a biased documentary) for that information.

Why do you point me to this page? My apologies if I've offended you. It wasn't my intention.

Here are my sources for the above-stated claim:

Scarborough, Peter, et al. "Dietary greenhouse-gas emissions of meat-eaters, fish-eaters, vegetarians and vegans in the UK". Climactic Change. July 2014. Volume 125. Issue 2. pp. 179-192

Pimentel, David & Pimental, Marcia. "Sustainability of meat-based and plant-based diets and the environment". The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. September 2003. vol 78. no 3 660S-663S

"The carbon foodprint of five diets compared". Shrink That Footprint

"Facts on Animal Farming and the Environment". One Green Planet.

"Our Future Our Food. Making a Difference With Every Bite: The Power of the Fork!". Earth Save International

Ranganathan, Janet & Waite, Richard. "Sustainable Diets: What You Need to Know in 12 Charts". World Resources Institute. April 2016

dreamer042 wrote:
Phantastica wrote:
eggs are unhealthy due to high amounts of cholesterol

See previous paragraph.

I've cited sources above in response to Jagube.

dreamer042 wrote:
Phantastica wrote:
I would personally prioritize the life of a living being over the pollution caused by transportation of the avocado.

Kinda goes back to that old thought experiment, would you let an entire building full of strangers perish to save one member of your family? There isn't a right answer on this one, and it's a good demonstration that morality is relative and something we each have to grapple with on an individual level. One of the biggest lessons I learned in my time experimenting with veganism is that attempting to push one's personal morality on others is as futile as it is foolhardy.

I agree morality is relative. I also agree that one shouldn't push their own sense of morality onto others. That's something that people should have complete freedom to decide. It's just important to know our actions and their consequences so that we can make decisions that are more in alignment with our core values (even if those core values are subjective and relative).

dreamer042 wrote:
Phantastica wrote:
Would you agree that killing an animal for food (if local plant-based alternatives exist) would be unethical?

No I would not. This is an example of that black and white thinking I noted previously and relates back to the morality discussion of the last paragraph. Maybe in my eyes it's more compassionate to kill that old laying hen who's had a long and happy life and is now experiencing the decline of old age than it is contribute to the adverse effects Glyphosate is having on my local waterways, and insect populations, and livestock, and my fellow humans by eating processed soy foods.

And that is okay - I see that you're still choosing the option that is in your view causing the least harm. I respect that mindset.

dreamer042 wrote:
Phantastica wrote:
Would you eat your own pet dog (especially when you have plant-based alternatives)?
I ask this, because I want to know if it is possible to love an animal and eat it at the same time (especially when alternatives exist)..?

So many loaded questions. I'll address this one though because, shortly before I went vegan, I actually ate dog at a rainbow gathering. Yeah I'm clearly a monster, how I could I? So on and so forth. Goes to show once again that your morality is not my morality.

The question was geared towards a pet dog that one owns, rather than a dog that is a stranger.

dreamer042 wrote:
Phantastica wrote:
91% of Amazon Rainforest destruction happens because of animal agriculture. Also consider these additional important stats:
1) 51% of global greenhouse gas emissions comes from livestock and their byproducts (whereas only 13% comes from all forms of transportation combined - worldwide)
2) A plant-based diet cuts down your carbon footprint by more than 50%
3) It takes 660 gallons of water to produce one single hamburger (equivalent of 2 months of showering)
4) 1/3 of land is desertified due to animal agriculture
5) Meat and dairy industries use 1/3 of Earth's fresh water.

1) That's funny, the EPA website only shows 24% of greenhouse emissions come from the entire agriculture, forestry, and land use sector including both livestock and crop cultivation.

I've read the source you have cited. Here's a quote from your source:
Quote:
Agriculture, Forestry, and Other Land Use (24% of 2010 global greenhouse gas emissions): Greenhouse gas emissions from this sector come mostly from agriculture (cultivation of crops and livestock) and deforestation. This estimate does not include the CO2 that ecosystems remove from the atmosphere by sequestering carbon in biomass, dead organic matter, and soils, which offset approximately 20% of emissions from this sector.

The above information is cited on the EPA website based on this research. And according to this research (I quote directly from the main source of information):
Quote:
For the period 2001-2010, the largest emission source was agriculture (50%)

Your own source is in favor of my claim. And here are some more different sources pointing to the same data:

Goodland, Robert & Anhang, Jeff. "Livestock and Climate Change: What if the key actors in climate change are...cows, pigs and chickens?". WorldWatch. November/December 2009

Hickman, Martin. "Study claims meat creates half of all greenhouse gases". Independent. November 2009

Hyner, Christopher. "A Leading Cause of Everything: One Industry That Is Destroying Our Planet and Our Ability to Thrive on It". Georgetown Environmental Law Review. October 23, 2015.

dreamer042 wrote:
2) At least one recent study would contradict that claim. The clickbait title of the article in Scientific American regarding this study really drives that point home.

The study you have cited (in the two links) doesn't compare a vegan diet to a non-vegan diet and therefore is not relevant to our discussion. Instead, it only assess the level of caloric intake (in the 3 different scenarios of diets) as per USDA recommendations.
Please read this paper written in response to this very research you have cited - you will find it insightful and see that the title is only for sensational marketing. In fact, the study you cited doesn't contradict my statement at all, because the purpose of the study was not to find out the total carbon footprint of a vegan vs. non-vegan diet.
I quote from the source I cited above:
Quote:
We must remember that the comparisons shown in these figures are of energy use, water use, and emissions per calorie. Yes, lettuce contributes more greenhouse gas emissions than meat per calorie, but I don't think anyone would recommend constructing a diet where we get the majority of our calories from lettuce. In fact, these results highlight the fact that the USDA has perhaps swung too far in the direction of fruits and vegetables to compensate for the obesity epidemic, suggesting an 85% increase in fruit consumption while suggesting only a small increase in grains or nuts. The latter two food groups are excellent sources of calories and protein that have much lower resource use per calorie and should be a staple in any balanced diet.

Second, emissions per calorie from meat are extremely high, so these results do not suggest that meat consumption is actually better than alternatives, but rather that other food can also have negative environmental impacts. This is a signal to intentionally develop policy that promotes smart meat alternatives. Also, emissions from meat are due to methane emissions from fertilizer production as well as all the energy required to produce feed. It's difficult to get around these sources of energy use and emissions. In contrast, environmental impacts of fruit and vegetables are largely location-dependent and due to inefficient farming practices that can be improved.

Finally, other studies in Europe and Croatia have demonstrated that healthy diet recommendations that reduce meat consumption would indeed lead to reductions in energy use, water use, and GHG emissions.5-6 This contradiction with the present study is mainly due to the difference between USDA guidelines and those used in other countries. In Germany and Europe, guidelines recommend reduced meat consumption, but do not replace it with increased dairy and fruit to the same degree as the USDA. Instead, they recommend greater amounts of oils, fats, and grains, which all use significantly reduced resources per Calorie and can still be part of a healthy diet. Again, the issue at stake is the improvement of US dietary policy to take into account sustainability.

Hope that puts it into perspective.

dreamer042 wrote:
3) I suppose it's possible this is the case in commercial confined feeding operation, but even in that situation, I'm skeptical of that number. University of Georgia suggests 1-2 gallons of water per 100 lbs of body weight and notes "Cattle grazing lush growth that contains 75 percent water need much less additional water than cattle fed dry feeds or hay containing only 10 percent water." Say you have 1000 lb cow that takes 2 years to grow to full size. 2 g/100 lb * 1000 lb = 20 gallons of water per day * 2 years to raise to maturity = 14,600 gallons over the cows lifetime. Assume 50% of the carcass as harvested meat. 14600/500 = 29.2 gallons water per lb of beef. Quite a lot less than 660 gallons, and this is assuming maximum amount of water and dry feed, not cattle grazing on pasture near natural water sources.

You've provided a link that only mentions general guidelines about water use in regards to animal agriculture, but I'll go ahead provide actual research studies that prove my above-stated claim:

Beckett, J. L, Oltjen, J. W "Estimation of the Water Requirement for Beef Production in the United States". Journal of Animal Science. 1993. 71:818-826

Pimentel, David, et al. "Water Resources: Agricultural and Environmental Issues". BioScience (2004) 54 (10): 909-918.

"Water footprint of crop and animal products: a comparison". Water Footprint Network.

dreamer042 wrote:
4) This is more hyperbole. As always, the causes of desertification are multiple and varied and poor crop cultivation practices, fuel and resource gathering, and weather/climate change are contributing just as much as overgrazing. I'll throw in another clickbait Scientific American article here as well.

The article that you've cited from Scientific American is based on a TED talk by Allan Savory. Please read this source to see why it is completely wrong. It is a very well-cited article.

I quote from the source I linked above:

Quote:
The most systematic research trial supporting Savory’s claims, the Charter Grazing Trials, was undertaken in Rhodesia (Zimbabwe today) between 1969 and 1975. ...there were problems during the Charter Grazing Trials, ones not mentioned in Savory’s dramatic talk. Cattle that grazed according to Savory’s method needed expensive supplemental feed, became stressed and fatigued, and lost enough weight to compromise the profitability of their meat. And even though Savory’s Grazing Trials took place during a period of freakishly high rainfall, with rates exceeding the average by 24 percent overall, the authors contend that Savory’s method “failed to produce the marked improvement in grass cover claimed from its application.” The authors of the overview concluded exactly what mainstream ecologists have been concluding for 40 years: “No grazing system has yet shown the capacity to overcome the long-term effects of overstocking and/or drought on vegetation productivity.”

The extension of Savory’s grazing techniques to other regions of Africa and North America has produced even less encouraging results. Summarizing other African research on holistically managed grazing, the same report that evaluated the Charter Grazing Trials found “no clear cut advantage for any particular form of management,” holistic or otherwise. It noted that “more often than not” intensive systems marked by the constant rotation of densely packed herds of cattle led to a decline in animal productivity while doing nothing to notably improve botanical growth.
A 2000 evaluation of Savory’s methods in North America (mostly on prairie rangelands in Wyoming, Oklahoma, Texas, and New Mexico) contradicted Savory’s conclusions as well...

dreamer042 wrote:
5) According to the United States Geological Survey total use of water in irrigation is a whopping 57.5 times that used for livestock.

But irrigation is part of animal agriculture. The source you've provided here mentions only "Livestock," not "Animal Agriculture." This article does not even define what is meant by livestock. Based on the other research into this subject, I'd conclude that by "livestock," this article only takes into consideration the amount of water directly drank by animals. I'd say that it fails to account for the water that is used for growing feed for livestock (such as irrigation).

Here are some sources that support my above-stated claim that meat and dairy industries use 1/3 of Earth's fresh water:

Mekonnen, Mesfin M. & Hoekstra, Arjen Y. "A Global Assessment of the Water Footprint of Farm Animal Products". Ecosystems (2012) 15: 401-415

Gerbens-Leenes, P.W. et al. "The water footprint of poultry, pork and beef: A comparitive study in different countries and production systems". Water Resources and Industry. Vol. 1-2, March-June 2013, Pages 25-36

Herrero, Mario, et al. "Biomass use, production, feed efficiencies, and greenhouse gas emissions from global livestock systems". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. vol. 110 no. 52

dreamer042 wrote:
Phantastica wrote:
So which do you think is turning lands into monocultures more - animal agriculture or vegan alternatives? Again, veganism is not about perfectionism, but about minimizing our impact and harm.

As the cited statistics show, our current industrial monoculture system of raising crops is the largest contributor to environmental devastation. The majority of those crops are processed and fed to livestock (even vegans can't eat Monsanto corn till it's processed) under the current industrial system of commercial confined feeding operations. This needs to change, but the idea of the entire world suddenly deciding to go vegan is a delusion. The idea of switching those giant corn fields back to well managed pasture land and raising smaller amounts of higher quality meat is actually economically and culturally viable. Granted there is strong resistance and it's not likely, it is a solution rooted in the reality of the situation.

Yes I agree that majority of crops are processed and fed to livestock. I don't think that the idea of the entire world going vegan is delusional. It may or may not happen, but I think it is important to "be the change we want to see in the world." Change of this kind will happen at a grassroots level.

dreamer042 wrote:
Phantastica wrote:
I'd like to ask on what grounds do you think the statistic is propaganda? The statistic makes it clear that we're talking about the amount of land it takes to grow food for an average meat-eater and vegan. That's not propaganda, but rather a statistical fact, unless you have sources that show otherwise.

See above for cited sources refuting uncited propaganda.

I've addressed every source that you have cited thus far. Based on the quality and quantity of research I have provided, the original statement I made still stands - unless you see a problem in any of my cited sources, in which case, please address them.

dreamer042 wrote:
Phantastica wrote:
From a sustainability viewpoint, free-range farms are worse than factory farms. Here's why (source: Cowspiracy documentary):
It takes 23 months for a grass-fed cow to grow to the size and age when it is ready for slaughter. Whereas a grain-fed cow takes 15 months. That’s an additional 8 months of water use, land use, feed, waste. In terms of carbon footprint, it’s a huge difference.

You don't see the fallacy in these numbers? A cow raised on pasture eats pasture grasses, the amount of feed input = 0. The cow raised on pasture drops it's fertilizer on the pasture where it breaks down and builds healthy soil, the amount of waste output = 0. See above where the fact that a cow eating pasture grasses at 75% water content requires much less water than a cow fed on dry food. Land use, well yeah providing 2 acres of pasture land per cow for 2 years just isn't ever going to compete with raising 1000's of head of cattle in a giant warehouse on just a few acres of land in a little over a year.

That's an interesting point Dreamer, and you got me questioning my original statement. It led me to research this subject further and I came across this study on the production and costs of grass-fed beef vs. grain-fed beef.

I quote from this study:
Quote:
Higher prices offered for grass-fed and organic grassfed beef appear attractive, but production costs, in many cases, are also higher than for conventional beef.

Here are 2 more sources that are very well-cited:
1, 2.

dreamer042 wrote:
Phantastica wrote:
Also, grass-grazing cows emit considerably more methane than grain-fed cows. (Source)

This peer reviewed study by the National Trust in the UK suggests the opposite. That NY Times article provides no references or citations to support the authors claims and like the documentaries, doesn't really satisfy the quality of information stipulation required for academic debate.

Dreamer, I agree with you that the NY Times article doesn't provide a reference for the specific fact that grass-grazing cows emit more methane than grain-fed cows. And it was a poor choice on my behalf to cite that article. Having that said, your own source that you linked from National Trust backs up my claim. I quote your cited source:

Quote:
because of the high levels of methane produced by livestock as part of the process of digesting grass, it has been suggested that intensive production methods, where cattle are fed largely on cereals and produce less methane, should be preferred over more traditional grass-fed livestock farming in terms of reducing greenhouse gas emissions.

dreamer042 wrote:
Not only am I healthier overall, I go easier on myself and get a lot more enjoyment out of life in not having to limit myself and in being able to try new things. I know exactly where my food comes from and how it was produced and have good direct relationships with the people (and animals) that produce it. My food dollars stay local and benefits my community and we've collectively established a resilient food web that will sustain in the event of political or environmental disasters that may interrupt resource distribution. It may not meet the vegan ideal, but I feel like it's enough to help offset my disgraceful carbon dense imported banana and mango addiction. Twisted Evil

It's eye-opening to see where our food comes from and how it was produced. I want to say that even though we're debating here, I know you are a mindful individual, eating mostly plant-based and locally grown food and I respect that.

dreamer042 wrote:
Since this whole thing is supposed to be about compassion, let's drop the labels and start with ourselves and one another. We can only strive to do our very best to adhere to our own understandings and principals and we can recognize that others are doing the same in their own way, offering up encouragement and kudos along the journey, rather than condemnation and disdain will help us all progress much more harmoniously.

That is very true. Amen to that brother Very happy

Chan wrote:

What I am trying to show, is how diet can exist on a continuum. Each step on the ladder is preferable (for a host of reasons, not just about you) to the one before it. If you can, and want to, see how far you can progress... You can go stepwise, and it will still be a big improvement all round. Your cooking skills will improve too. And, if you slip back one (drunken) night or whatever, just remember it's no biggy, people slip up all the time. Just resume when you are ready...

Hi Chan, I think your continuum model has validity and indeed many people I know have progressed in steps - not overnight.

Chan wrote:
The problem I have with the OP of the current thread, is his approach comes perilously close to deriving almost a kind of caste-system from my arbitrary scale, which is unlikely to be helpful or productive in the long term, among the wider population. To stick with my 'scale' I contend that if everybody can move up even just one level, perhaps only a couple of times in their entire life, the overall situation will improve dramatically. There is infinitely more benefit to the animal population, in just one person going from Level 1 to Level 2, say, than there is for a bunch of people going from Level 6 to Level 7...and that's just maths. No moral interpolation required.

I can understand why you think that my approach deviates from your continuum scale. In a way it does and in a way it doesn't. Allow me to explain.

I see every minor step of progression towards veganism as a good thing. In fact I encourage it and fully support such a continuum of progress and development. Simultaneously however, I cannot compromise the clear end goal, which is a complete end to all animal exploitation.

Many vegan organizations at the moment are promoting a "reducetarian" approach. In this reducetarian approach, reducing the amount meat and dairy consumption is the end goal. I myself don't promote such reducetarian approach because to promote it would be to say that some animal exploitation is in fact okay. This in turn would still keep the notion of speciesism alive and thus be counter-productive.

This is why campaigns like "Meatless Mondays" are ineffective. Think of it like this - if someone is physically abusing his partner in a relationship, would we promote "Abuseless Mondays"? Or would we call for a clear end goal of complete abolition to all physical violence?

Jagube wrote:
Good points about slow transition and eating less meat as opposed to quitting it completely.
It's probably easier to get 100 people to eat less meat than it is to get one person to go vegan, so it's a more realistic goal and a more beneficial route from the point of view of the suffering of animals and the environment.

Yes this is true Jagube, but only in the short-term. I've been reading literature on clinical psychology and behavioral change therapy (in regards to domestic violence, alcoholism and drug abuse) and research shows that for long-term behavioral change, a reducetarian approach (that I mentioned above) doesn't work. However, it's productive to progress in baby steps as long as a clear end goal is established.
<3

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Phantastica
#62 Posted : 10/27/2017 8:57:09 AM

DMT-Nexus member

PART 3/3

Jagube wrote:
On one occasion I was staying at a hostel in Central America and while I was preparing some fruit in the kitchen, someone offered me pasta with tuna which they'd made too much of and were ready to dispose of. I first turned it down on the basis of vegetarianism, but then realized it would actually be unethical to let it go to waste, so I changed my mind and accepted the offer.

I respect your decision to be mindful enough to question the consequences of your actions. Though we may differ in the actions we take and in our relative definitions of morality, I think we share in common the notion of causing the least amount of harm.

RAM wrote:
Phantastica wrote:
Even if plants are sentient and capable of feeling pain, an average meat-eater still kills more plants, bacteria and fungi than an average vegan. Endlessness already explained why, but I'll also quote myself from before:
We use a lot more land to grow a lot more plants (soy and corn) for raising animals and the amount of mice, frogs, gophers, etc. that this process kills is a lot higher. Veganism is about choosing a more sustainable option that minimizes harm as much as possible.

You know, that makes a lot of sense. It's not like we feed animals using mostly synthetic foods. However, you have to admit that eating artificially synthesized foods, if possible one day, would eliminate any question of ethical concerns of eating anything living. Maybe this would be a good area to focus our scientific energies one day.

Hi RAM! Yes I admit that eating artificially synthesized foods (if possible one day) would eliminate ethical concerns of eating any living being. I'm cool with that as long as health isn't compromised. It would be a difficult endeavor for humans to match nature in it's hundreds of millions of years of evolution. Thus, for now we can just work on what is in our control here and now.

RAM wrote:
Phantastica wrote:
Allow me to pose questions as per the proposed logic:
If I feel suicidal and want to kill myself, does that mean it is right and justified for me to kill anyone I'd like?
If I'm willing to be raped by hot women, am I allowed to rape them?
Do you see the fallacy of this logic?

A very important component that is missing from this logic is the perspective of the victim. Your Kobe beef example and my counter examples both have a victim at the end of the decision. Here's the thing RAM - we cannot understand oppression from an oppressor's point of view. In order to understand what's wrong with slavery, we have to look from the eyes of the victim (i.e. the black slaves); in order to understand what's wrong with the Holocaust, we have to see the situation from the perspective of the victim (i.e Jews); and in order to see what's wrong with killing animals, you have to see the situation from the perspective of the victim (i.e. animal). If the animal could talk, it would tell you that it would rather not die.

In your Rawlsian approach, you are perceiving the situation from your own standpoint (not from the victim's standpoint). That is the fallacy of this approach.

Also, if I may ask, where do you get your meat from? And how do you confirm that it was raised in a manner that you'd be willing to accept yourself (as per this Rawlsian approach)?

...Your questions misconstrue this line of thinking. If you are suicidal and believe suicide is moral and should be allowed for example, essentially you would just have to be willing to live in a society where you could risk being the most disadvantaged person due to the allowance of suicide. So let's say this person is the child of a suicidal single parent, the parent kills his or herself, then the child starves, is abducted, etc. Would you be willing to be that child? Probably not, so it might be better not to support suicide across the board, or at least place certain restrictions on it.

Ok I see RAM - your explanation of my question makes John Rawls' approach more clearer to me. I agree that seeing the situation from the perspective of the most disadvantaged individual/group is the same as seeing the situation from the victim's point of view (in regards to social justice).

RAM wrote:
As for the murder example, let's say you wanted rape to be permissible. Then you would have to be willing to be the person who can get raped by any random stranger. Yes, you might want to be raped by some hot woman, but would you be willing to be on the receiving end of rape by a totally random, maybe male, stranger? Probably not.

Your explanation of this question however doesn't fit. Here's why - I'm only willing to be raped by hot women, therefore I am justified in raping hot women. This is parallel to your example of Kobe beef. You are willing to accept the fate of Kobe beef, therefore you are justified in eating Kobe beef.
If you were to now say that I have to be willing to be raped by any random stranger, then I would say that you would have to be willing to accept the fate of any random cow in any slaughterhouse.
You see the parallel here?

RAM wrote:
However, even with all of this, you (and other posters here) have got me and my roommates thinking. To be perfectly honest, the meat we eat now is organic but not ethically raised. If I was a chicken, I would not want to be the chicken that turns into my organic frozen chicken nuggets. Because of this, we are going to try going at least vegetarian/pescatarian and maybe vegan in my apartment for a couple weeks to see how it goes.

I'm happy that this has got you and your roommates thinking about this issue. I admire such self-reflection, and I also admire your decision to give veganism a try sometime Big grin Big grin Big grin

RAM wrote:
We all have vegans in our families and live in an area with a ton of vegan offerings. So, good job on making us think about our consumption and debating with me! However, I will not yield on ethically raised, well-treated animals whose by-products we can consume, nor exceptions for poor folks who cannot afford or find vegan/vegetarian options. It is good to make people think about their choices but not to berate them if they cannot afford or reasonably eat differently.

That's great RAM. If you download the Happy Cow app, you can find all the vegan restaurants in your area on a map - it's a super cool app.
If poor people really can't afford vegan options, then that would mean that other food alternatives don't really exist for them, in which case (as I stated earlier) it is justified (in my subjective opinion) to eat meat/dairy. However, I found that I now spend less money on vegan food than what I was spending when I was still eating meat/dairy. Thank you for an amazing discussion. It has been a pleasure Big grin

dragonrider wrote:
I believe btw, that many people are sort of in denial about the moral dilemma's considering meat.

Many people for instance, believe that animals are not counscious.
Primate researchers like jane goodal and frans de waal have often being critisized for projecting too many human traits on primates. For 'humanising' chimps, gorilla's and oerang oetans.

But these people realy are kidding themselves. The argument they often use, is that we don't have 100% certainty that animals are counscious.

I find this argument so incredibly stupid that i don't even want to bother explaining why.

But most people who use these kind of arguments, do present themselves as very rational human beings, with very materialist views.
The point is though, that if you believe in materialism (the brain generates counsciousness), then you should accept that all animals that have brains like us, must be counscious like us as well. So ofcourse there are differences between the human brain, and the brains of chimpansees or other primates, or highly social and intelligent animals.
Moreover, many animals that have brains like us, show behaviour that requires these brains to function like our brains. They can solve complex tasks that require planning ahead, delay of gratification, theory of mind, etc.

Logically, the burden of proof would be on you, if you would realy want to claim that animals are not counsious. Because with all the evidence, it is much more likely that they are, then that they are not.

Indeed dragonrider. I also find such arguments silly. Animals form complex social structures, communicate in their own language, and feel fear, pain and pleasure at physical, emotional and psychological levels. There is a hell that exists on Earth - they're factory farms & slaughterhouses. It's traumatic to even watch videos of some of the things we're doing to these innocent animals - let alone be in their skins.

Loveall wrote:
Wow, what a great discussion.
I just want to add my personal experience for whatever it is worth.

I find this to be an community full of intellectual individuals and that is why it has been a great discussion. People are respectful and academic in their responses. I've grown from this discussion and learned about some new things I hadn't considered or known before. Thank you everyone for that!

Loveall wrote:
I understand the good points made that some plant based food sources are an issue and cause in some cases more destruction than a meat choice. However, that is an odd circumstance of human affairs. All else being equal, more effective natural energy use, lower suffering, and better health are all achieved through plants in my experience and current understanding..

I agree. And indeed, exceptions do exist, but they are rare and unrepresentative of our day-to-day living in our modern world.

Loveall wrote:
My philosophy is that those with the privilege to choose plant based food should do so. The work does not end there. Understand where the plants come from. Avoid what does not make sense (being plant based is not sufficient, but arguably necessary to be an enlightened choice). Also, if you have land grow your own food and medicine. If you have an HOA that does not allow this, fight your HOA. Compost to replenish the soil. Care for your plants and thank them for providing for body and mind.

Completely agreed with everything here.

Loveall wrote:
One thing to avoid is to lie to oneself and say '...well since there are these counter examples where the plant choice does not work, it does not make sense to try the plant based diet...'. I'm not claiming anyone here is lying to themselves, and maybe the meat eating arguments are perfectly valid as my understanding of reality is limited. However, I will say that for many years I lied to myself about the reasons I kept on eating dead animals that had lived all their life in a tiny cage and were (presumably) smarter than dogs.

I also lied to myself - for so long. As mentioned earlier, I'd also get in arguments with vegan people when I was still non-vegan. It's silly for me to now reflect back upon the justifications I used just because I liked the taste and convenience of meat/dairy.

Loveall wrote:
At the end of the day do your best and try to be honest with yourself along the way. We are all connected and part of a greater oneness - even when we eat each other.

Hehe indeed we are a part of each other, even when we eat each other Big grin

Thank you for sharing that! Big grin
<3

Chan
#63 Posted : 10/27/2017 10:26:46 AM

Another Leaf on the Vine

Phantastica wrote:
Many vegan organizations at the moment are promoting a "reducetarian" approach. In this reducetarian approach, reducing the amount meat and dairy consumption is the end goal. I myself don't promote such reducetarian approach because to promote it would be to say that some animal exploitation is in fact okay. This in turn would still keep the notion of speciesism alive and thus be counter-productive.

'Reduction' can be a continuous process which ultimately reduces quantity X to zero. And in doing so, transforms Situation A into Situation B.

History tells us, frequently and repeatedly, that merely banning Situation A, and imposing Situation B, never works.

And I'm puzzled why you would not promote something that leads to fewer animals being consumed overall? You actually want more animals consumed overall, then? Because aside from zero (which is not a valid solution, on a planet with complex ecowebs and apex predators) that is the only remaining position available to you, if you choose to reject 'reducetarianism'.

In the great list of -isms to which the human race is still prey, speciesism, deplorable as it is, is still a higher-order problem than say, racism, sexism and nepotism. So it is arguably futile to focus exclusively on that, well before the 'easier' (!) problems have even been addressed. I'm with you 100% on the evils of industrial livestock rearing/slaughtering, but this is a problem created by capital, profit and regulatory capture, and trying to fight those with ethics, is like shooting peas at an aircraft carrier. NB. The same lot of interests will be absolutely delighted to sell you some synthetic crap to chow on too, so be careful what you wish for. And fight the power as it really is, and not as you wish it to be...
“I sometimes marvel at how far I’ve come - blissful, even, in the knowledge that I am slowly becoming a well-evolved human being - only to have the illusion shattered by an episode of bad behaviour that contradicts the new and reinforces the old. At these junctures of self-reflection, I ask the question: “are all my years of hard work unraveling before my eyes, or am I just having an episode?” For the sake of personal growth and the pursuit of equanimity, I choose the latter and accept that, on this journey of evolution, I may not encounter just one bad day, but a group of many.”
― B.G. Bowers

Phantastica
#64 Posted : 10/31/2017 9:19:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chan wrote:
Phantastica wrote:

'Reduction' can be a continuous process which ultimately reduces quantity X to zero. And in doing so, transforms Situation A into Situation B.

Absolutely mate! This is the correct approach in my opinion that is also supported by research into behavioral change therapy and clinical psychology.

Reducetarian approach is different in that a clear end goal is not defined and the action of reducing consumption itself becomes the end-goal. But what you've stated here, regarding reducing quantity from "X to zero" is effective as per the current data available on the subject.

Chan wrote:
History tells us, frequently and repeatedly, that merely banning Situation A, and imposing Situation B, never works.

Yes, I agree. I'm also not in favor of forcing people to change their views and imposing upon their beliefs. I completely agree with you in this regard. I only think that it is important to inform people of their choices so that they are fully aware of what they're choosing and the consequences of their actions (regardless of the choice that they make).

Chan wrote:
And I'm puzzled why you would not promote something that leads to fewer animals being consumed overall? You actually want more animals consumed overall, then? Because aside from zero (which is not a valid solution, on a planet with complex ecowebs and apex predators) that is the only remaining position available to you, if you choose to reject 'reducetarianism'.

Of course I'm in support of promoting whatever leads to the least amount of animals being exploited.

Allow me to elaborate on clinical research into the field of behavioral change (References are numbered in the text below and full citations are cited at the end of this post).

A wealth of research in the field of motivation shows the importance of long-term goal setting (Source: 1). Note that goals don't need to be easy to attain in the short-term for long-term behavioral change. In fact, the underlying premise of the widely studied “Goal-setting Theory” is that specific and difficult goals lead to greater behavioral change (Sources: 2, 3). This body of evidence shows that when we simply ask others to “do their best,” this leads to less behavioral change. The reason for this is that it is difficult for one to engage in self-evaluation of their own change without a clear goal (Sources: 4, 5).

In fact, one of the first things that any clinical psychologist discusses with a new client during the first visit is long-term goal setting. For example, when working with violent clients, clinicians promote the end goal of being and remaining completely non-violent. A therapist would never set a long-term goal of ending only some violence, or ending only physical but not psychological violence. Once the primary long-term goal is stated, the client is then encouraged to come up with ways to achieve that long-term goal, such as better communication and tools and strategies for handling anger-provoking situations more effectively.

Reducing consumption of animal products is a step in the right direction so long that this reduction is part of an effort to end all exploitation.

Chan wrote:
In the great list of -isms to which the human race is still prey, speciesism, deplorable as it is, is still a higher-order problem than say, racism, sexism and nepotism. So it is arguably futile to focus exclusively on that, well before the 'easier' (!) problems have even been addressed. I'm with you 100% on the evils of industrial livestock rearing/slaughtering, but this is a problem created by capital, profit and regulatory capture, and trying to fight those with ethics, is like shooting peas at an aircraft carrier. NB. The same lot of interests will be absolutely delighted to sell you some synthetic crap to chow on too, so be careful what you wish for. And fight the power as it really is, and not as you wish it to be...

Yes mate we are both on the same page that speciesism is a higher-order problem. However, there is no research that says lower-order problems must first be solved in order to solve higher-order problems. In fact, as I cited above, "goals don't need to be easy to attain in the short-term for long-term behavioral change." Lower-order problems have always existed, even during times of slavery and holocaust; yet abolition of exploitation did take place.

References:
1. Mitchell, T., & Daniels, D. (2003). “Motivation” in W. Borman, D. Ilgen, J. Klimoski (Eds.), Comprehensive Handbook of Psychology: Industrial Organizational Psychology (Vol. 12, 225–254). New York, NY: Wiley.
2. Locke, E., & Latham, G. (1990). A Theory of Goal Setting and Task Performance. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall.
3. Locke, E. A., & Latham, G. P. (2002). “Building a practically useful theory of goal setting and task motivation. A 35-year odyssey.” American Psychologist, 57, 705–717.
4. Kanfer, R. (1990). “Motivation theory and industrial and organizational psychology” in M. D. Dunnette & L. M. Hough (Eds.), Handbook of Industrial and Organizational Psychology (2nd ed., vol. 1, 75–170). Palo Alto, CA: Consulting Psychologists Press.
5. Locke, E. A Theory of Goal Setting.

<3

Chan
#65 Posted : 11/1/2017 7:25:04 AM

Another Leaf on the Vine

OK, that's quite a lot of psychology research you've digested there.

Quote:
However, there is no research that says lower-order problems must first be solved in order to solve higher-order problems.

Maybe not, but you're unlikely to ever reach Alpha-Centauri if you haven't first figured out how to reach the moon. Or split the atom, if you haven't mastered breaking rocks. Whatever goals you may have in place. And goal-setting is only one method in a crowded field of motivational theories. But I'd love to see some meta-analyses, showing outcomes overall.

But that's before we get on to the 'replication crisis,' which has disproportionately affected clinical psychological research, among others:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih...pmc/articles/PMC1182327/

Thanks. I'll pass for now, but I'll be keeping a keen eye out for rapid, far-reaching developments in this vitally-important area.

Peace.
“I sometimes marvel at how far I’ve come - blissful, even, in the knowledge that I am slowly becoming a well-evolved human being - only to have the illusion shattered by an episode of bad behaviour that contradicts the new and reinforces the old. At these junctures of self-reflection, I ask the question: “are all my years of hard work unraveling before my eyes, or am I just having an episode?” For the sake of personal growth and the pursuit of equanimity, I choose the latter and accept that, on this journey of evolution, I may not encounter just one bad day, but a group of many.”
― B.G. Bowers

RAM
#66 Posted : 11/8/2017 12:04:25 AM

Hail the keys!

Phantastica wrote:
Your explanation of this question however doesn't fit. Here's why - I'm only willing to be raped by hot women, therefore I am justified in raping hot women. This is parallel to your example of Kobe beef. You are willing to accept the fate of Kobe beef, therefore you are justified in eating Kobe beef.
If you were to now say that I have to be willing to be raped by any random stranger, then I would say that you would have to be willing to accept the fate of any random cow in any slaughterhouse.
You see the parallel here?

Although Kobe beef cows are a class of cows just as women are a class of human beings, there is confusion here. You have to think about it from their perspective by imagining you were that person/cow. So for the rape example, you have to put yourself in the victim's shoes to be morally justified in doing it yourself. If you were in the woman's shoes, it would be rape by a random stranger. If you were a Kobe beef cow, you would live a life of luxury before being eaten. Obviously no one would want to be raped by a random stranger, so rape is impermissible. But, assuming one had to be a cow, living a life of luxury would be highly preferred to living a normal or terrible life.

Despite this, I think one could make a good argument that it might be better to not be born an animal at all. The moral permissibility of eating "humane" meat above hinges on the assumption that you have to be a cow. But it is very clear that we would all rather be humans than animals, as being human allows us to explore the higher, and thus more worthwhile, pleasures (according to John Stuart Mill and his higher and lower pleasures).

With this, I want to give an update on how our vegan journey is going. A little over two weeks ago we all decided to give veganism a try for the ethical reasons listed in this thread. We have done solely vegan shopping trips since then and have only really eaten at vegan restaurants. And it's great!! I feel great and like I have a little bit more energy. Frankly, it is also nice knowing that I am not complicit in the suffering of animals, which is probably the largest benefit. I also feel a heightened level of sensitivity to the world around me, which is both good and bad (I appreciate the sounds of nature a bit more but also am much more sensitive to the exhaust smells on my street).

I make exceptions for my fish oil that I consume every morning for my health and for family/friend events where veganism is not really possible or appropriate. I compare the family/friend exception to slavery: if all of your family and friends had slaves but you still wanted to interact with them, you would just have to deal with their slaves serving you when you visit their homes/parties. Also, if nonvegan food is going to waste anyway, we are willing to eat it as the animals have already died or been exploited, just as everyone in America reaps the economic benefits of being in one of the wealthiest countries (which resulted partly from slavery and other unethical measures).

Besides these exceptions, I think we are all going to stay vegan for the long-haul, all due to this thread! I can't see myself really going back... And you were right Phantastica, I am saving money as well. While my grocery bill is higher, my restaurant bills are far fewer and lower than they were before.
"Think for yourself and question authority." - Leary

"To step out of ideology - it hurts. It's a painful experience. You must force yourself to do it." - Žižek

JustATourist
#67 Posted : 11/8/2017 2:30:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

RAM wrote:
I make exceptions for my fish oil that I consume every morning for my health and for family/friend events where veganism is not really possible or appropriate. I compare the family/friend exception to slavery: if all of your family and friends had slaves but you still wanted to interact with them, you would just have to deal with their slaves serving you when you visit their homes/parties. Also, if nonvegan food is going to waste anyway, we are willing to eat it as the animals have already died or been exploited, just as everyone in America reaps the economic benefits of being in one of the wealthiest countries (which resulted partly from slavery and other unethical measures).

I think your approach makes perfect sense.

Regarding the fish oil, yes, fish contains Omega-3s which you need and are healthy, but also contains pollutants, which might be detrimental to your health.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/joim.12205/full

"On the one hand, fish contain docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), long-chain omega-3 fatty acids which have been considered beneficial for human health. Consistent with this concept, a meta-analysis showed moderate, inverse associations of fish consumption with cerebrovascular risk. On the other hand, fish may contain various substances such as persistent organic pollutants (POPs), including dioxins, polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), organochlorine pesticides, and polybrominated diphenyl ethers and heavy metals, including methylmercury, lead, and cadmium, that can negatively affect human health. Consistent with this point, circulating POPs predicted incident stroke in an elderly cohort in Uppsala, Sweden."

There is a pollutant-free source of these Omega-3s DHA and EPA in algae-based supplements, so you can get the best of both worlds (the Omega-3s but without the pollutants), and they are also vegan.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24261532

RAM
#68 Posted : 11/8/2017 3:25:26 PM

Hail the keys!

JustATourist wrote:
There is a pollutant-free source of these Omega-3s DHA and EPA in algae-based supplements, so you can get the best of both worlds (the Omega-3s but without the pollutants), and they are also vegan.

I will look into these and likely switch over, thank you for the information!
"Think for yourself and question authority." - Leary

"To step out of ideology - it hurts. It's a painful experience. You must force yourself to do it." - Žižek

Phantastica
#69 Posted : 11/10/2017 9:13:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chan wrote:
Phantastica wrote:
However, there is no research that says lower-order problems must first be solved in order to solve higher-order problems.

Maybe not, but you're unlikely to ever reach Alpha-Centauri if you haven't first figured out how to reach the moon. Or split the atom, if you haven't mastered breaking rocks. Whatever goals you may have in place. And goal-setting is only one method in a crowded field of motivational theories. But I'd love to see some meta-analyses, showing outcomes overall.

Hi Chan Smile Yes, true that we need to reach the moon before reaching Alpha-Centauri. However, unlike in your example, we already have the means and "technology" to change our actions. The ability already exists. Looking to past examples of social justice issues like slavery, sexism and anti-semitism are more representative examples (for the topic at hand) than flying to Alpha-Centuari.

Chan wrote:

But that's before we get on to the 'replication crisis,' which has disproportionately affected clinical psychological research, among others:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih...pmc/articles/PMC1182327/

Becoming a professional clinical psychologist takes 10 years, much like becoming a medical doctor. It's not an endeavor to be taken lightly (nor is it based on dubious research), and we can be sure that it is based on the best research available on the subject.

Also, the research you cited contradicts itself. If we are to agree that most published research is false, then by that logic, the research you cited is in all likelihood also false.

RAM wrote:
Despite this, I think one could make a good argument that it might be better to not be born an animal at all. The moral permissibility of eating "humane" meat above hinges on the assumption that you have to be a cow. But it is very clear that we would all rather be humans than animals, as being human allows us to explore the higher, and thus more worthwhile, pleasures (according to John Stuart Mill and his higher and lower pleasures).

Hi RAM Smile Yes, this is also a good point. Here's what's paradoxical about "humane" treatment: "The movement to treat farm animals better is based on the idea that it is wrong to subject them to unnecessary harm; yet, killing animals we have no need to eat, constitutes the ultimate act of unnecessary harm." Moreover, the more humanely we treat an animal, the greater is the bond of trust between human and animal - and the greater the trust, the more severe is the act of betrayal (when we slaughter the animal).

RAM wrote:
With this, I want to give an update on how our vegan journey is going. A little over two weeks ago we all decided to give veganism a try for the ethical reasons listed in this thread. We have done solely vegan shopping trips since then and have only really eaten at vegan restaurants. And it's great!! I feel great and like I have a little bit more energy. Frankly, it is also nice knowing that I am not complicit in the suffering of animals, which is probably the largest benefit. I also feel a heightened level of sensitivity to the world around me, which is both good and bad (I appreciate the sounds of nature a bit more but also am much more sensitive to the exhaust smells on my street).

It makes so happy to hear this RAM!!! I felt exactly the same way when I became vegan - more energy, faster muscle recovery after workouts, a sense of health & wellbeing and lesser spending on food. The largest benefit for me too was the knowing that I was no longer contributing to the exploitation of animals and I also felt this heightened level of sensitivity and empathy towards the world around me. I understand what you mean. This is why I believe that "peace starts on our plate."

RAM wrote:
I make exceptions for my fish oil that I consume every morning for my health and for family/friend events where veganism is not really possible or appropriate. I compare the family/friend exception to slavery: if all of your family and friends had slaves but you still wanted to interact with them, you would just have to deal with their slaves serving you when you visit their homes/parties. Also, if nonvegan food is going to waste anyway, we are willing to eat it as the animals have already died or been exploited, just as everyone in America reaps the economic benefits of being in one of the wealthiest countries (which resulted partly from slavery and other unethical measures)

Regarding fish oils, you will find this very useful. Flaxseeds are the best source of short-chain Omega 3 ALA (which is turned into long-chain Omega 3's, EPA and DHA). As per this source, taking algae-derived EPA and DHA however does have benefits.

I also understand your dilemma in social situations where others may be consuming animal products - I've experienced similar things. But I'm sure you'll spark thought-provoking discussions with them and have them join you in no time Very happy

RAM wrote:
Besides these exceptions, I think we are all going to stay vegan for the long-haul, all due to this thread! I can't see myself really going back... And you were right Phantastica, I am saving money as well. While my grocery bill is higher, my restaurant bills are far fewer and lower than they were before.

Yay!!! I've found that joining some facebook groups that share moral support and yummy recipes can be helpful Very happy And I'm glad that your total food bill is lower than before. I'm sure you're also saving money in the future by saving on medical costs.

If you're interested in exploring this subject further, I would recommend these resources:
1) Social Justice Dimension (documentaries): Earthlings (2005) and Land of Hope and Glory (2017)
2) Health Dimension (research compilation video): The Role of Diet in Preventing, Arresting, & Reversing Our Top 15 Killers (2016)
3) Environmental Dimension (documentary): Cowspiracy (2014) (Available on Netflix).

Also, let me know if I can be of any help <3

JustATourist wrote:
Regarding the fish oil, yes, fish contains Omega-3s which you need and are healthy, but also contains pollutants, which might be detrimental to your health.

http://onlinelibrary.wil.../10.1111/joim.12205/full

"On the one hand, fish contain docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), long-chain omega-3 fatty acids which have been considered beneficial for human health. Consistent with this concept, a meta-analysis showed moderate, inverse associations of fish consumption with cerebrovascular risk. On the other hand, fish may contain various substances such as persistent organic pollutants (POPs), including dioxins, polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), organochlorine pesticides, and polybrominated diphenyl ethers and heavy metals, including methylmercury, lead, and cadmium, that can negatively affect human health. Consistent with this point, circulating POPs predicted incident stroke in an elderly cohort in Uppsala, Sweden."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24261532

That is spot on mate! Indeed, algae-based supplements are healthier Very happy
<3

downwardsfromzero
#70 Posted : 11/12/2017 1:26:18 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Here's a snippet to add to this rather wonderful thread:
https://theconversation....ows-it-is-possible-84868

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Phantastica
#71 Posted : 11/13/2017 4:10:23 AM

DMT-Nexus member

First, an important UPDATE: Further research has shown me that the following claim I made before in this thread was partially misinformed:
Phantastica wrote:
[I get my Vitamin B12 from]: Mushrooms, Nutritional Yeast, Soy, Tofu, Fortified foods, Seaweed, and B12 Supplements

As per this compilation of research studies, there is no conclusive research showing that plant-sources (including mushrooms/seaweed) of Vitamin B12 are bioactive in humans. Though B12 analogues can exist in plants, we do not yet know whether they are reliable sources of bioactive B12 for humans.
Therefore, it turns out that I only get my reliable sources of B12 from fortified foods (such as fortified plant milks, nutritional yeast, marmite) and B12 supplements. B12 Supplements are my primary source of B12 now. Please note however that B12 is not produced by animals either.
"B12 is a waste product of bacteria that can be found in soil and inside your body, namely your mucosa, bacteria in the mouth, around the teeth, in the nasopharynx, around the tonsils and in the tonsilar crypts, in the folds at the base of the tongue, and in the upper bronchial tree, and intestine. Animal products will contain traces of B12 because animals eat plants from the ground. Although, with the crap we feed our livestock animals, farmers today actually inject their livestock with B12 in order to be able to say their animal products contain B12! Vegans can simply take the supplements ourselves rather than filtering them through a supplemented animal's body."

downwardsfromzero wrote:
Here's a snippet to add to this rather wonderful thread:
https://theconversation....ows-it-is-possible-84868

Thanks for sharing this! In fact, many professional athletes are choosing a vegan diet particularly to improve their stamina and up their game. To add to the list from your link, here are some athletes I like:
Fiona Oaks: Ultra-marathoner
David Carter: 300 pound NFL Defense Lineman
Patrik Baboumian: Germany's strongman with several world records
Scott Jurek: Best ultra-marathoner
Jake Shields: MMA/UFC fighter
Hillary Biscay: Triathlete
Tim Schieff: Best Parkour artist imo
and the list goes on... Very happy

<3

jam-maker
#72 Posted : 11/13/2017 6:00:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I think everyone should be open to a mostly vegan diet, this doesn't mean you don't have to stop eating animal products, but try reduce your consumption.

I eat vegan 98% of the time and might have a little meat when I go out sometimes. (I started out pure vegan but had an enlightening moment)

I do it for ethical and health reasons.

I don't have a problem with meat production itself but rather how the majority of it is done like factory farming and abuse of animals. People are always going to eat meat, there is nothing I can do to stop that so instead I would rather hope to get more people to understand what is going on with their food.

Funnily enough I just had bloodwork done and got the results today, my Active B12 level was '49' with a reference of 23-100 (I think this means, lower or higher than this is not good), which is apparently a normal level. My Iron was '19' with a reference of 5-30, apparently also a normal reading

I drink soy milk fortified with B12, and really don't drink it much... Even the doctor was confused how I had B12 because I can't remember the last time I ate an egg... Apparently B12 can build up and store in your system for a long time?

I have been 'vegan' for almost two years now and I think it was for the better. Embarrased

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food. - Hippocrates

Loveall
#73 Posted : 11/15/2017 8:52:35 PM

❤️‍🔥

Chemical expertSenior Member

Some NBA stars seem to agree with the health argument:

http://bleacherreport.co...wering-kyrie-and-the-nba

💚🌵💚 Mescaline CIELO TEK 💚🌵💚
💚🌳💚DMT salt e-juice HIELO TEK💚🌳💚
💚🍃💚 Salvinorin Chilled Acetone with IPA and Naphtha re-X TEK💚🍃💚

jamie
#74 Posted : 11/16/2017 2:06:44 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

"Funnily enough I just had bloodwork done and got the results today, my Active B12 level was '49' with a reference of 23-100 (I think this means, lower or higher than this is not good), which is apparently a normal level. My Iron was '19' with a reference of 5-30, apparently also a normal reading:are

B12 tests are misleading without a folate test, which is often not done. This alone often masks a b12 deficiency.

You supplement..so your experience is tainted.
Long live the unwoke.

obliguhl
#75 Posted : 11/16/2017 9:34:58 AM

DMT-Nexus member

JustATourist wrote:
endlessness wrote:

Please quote a scientific publication that says eggs in moderation are unhealthy.

Meta-analysis on the topic:

Egg consumption and risk of cardiovascular diseases and diabetes: A meta-analysis

"In this meta-analysis of 14 studies involving 320 778 subjects, we found a positive association between egg consumption and the risk of CVD (the trend seemed to be more obvious in separated diabetes patients) and diabetes. Furthermore, the dose–response analyses was evident. An increment of 4/week of egg intake could possibly increase risk of CVD by 6% (40% in separated diabetes patients) and diabetes by 29%."

Eggs contain high amounts of dietary cholesterol and saturated fat, increasing LDL cholesterol, and so on.

Also, chicken and eggs are the animal products that require the most amount of deaths (unless you have backyard chickens who randomly lay eggs, then I see no ethical problems in eating those eggs), compared to everything else. And that's only the number of deaths, there is also the amount of suffering during their entire life, before getting killed, which happens in relatively small farms too.

So for anyone who doesn't have backyard chickens thinking of reducing animal suffering without going vegan or vegetarian, maybe consider avoiding chicken and eggs.

For a discussion and a summary of the debate in the literature on estimates of the average amount of animals killed in each industry:

http://www.animalvisuals.org/projects/data/1mc

1. Cholesterol is made largely by the liver and dietary cholesterol plays a far lower role role than the fats the liver needs to make cholesterol. It is argued, that high dietary cholesterol merely downregulates cholesterol production in the liver.

Quote:
Eggs were previously associated with heart disease risk as a result of their high cholesterol content. However, a solid body of research shows that for most people, cholesterol in food has a smaller effect on blood levels of total cholesterol and harmful LDL cholesterol than does the mix of fats in the diet. [2-4]

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/eggs/

Quote:
Since then, however, research has shown that most of the cholesterol in our body is made by our liver-it doesn't come from cholesterol we eat. The liver is stimulated to make cholesterol primarily by saturated fat and trans fat in our diet, not dietary cholesterol. But a large egg contains little saturated fat-about 1.5 grams (g). And research has confirmed that eggs also contain many healthy nutrients: lutein and zeaxanthin, which are good for the eyes; choline, which is good for the brain and nerves; and various vitamins (A, B, and D). In fact, just one large egg contains 270 international units (IU) of vitamin A and 41 IU of vitamin D. One large egg also contains about 6 g of protein and 72 calories.

https://www.health.harva...s-risky-for-heart-health

Not to forget Vitamin K2 which is rare in our western diets.

I believe that eggs are super healthy but even more conservative sources such as harvard medical seem to underscore the fact that eggs are not to be demonized.

2. As foor the infographic...

a) There is a difference to me between slaughtering one super intelligent animal (pig) or 10 baby chicken. The pig is worth more.

b) Eggs can be produced without slaughtering and it is in the responsibility of egg producers to make that happen. Blood is on their hands. The consumer does not have a choice.

Quote:
But now United Egg Producers is pursuing an alternative called ovo-sexing, which involves sticking a needle into an egg to detect slight differences in DNA to indicate whether the hatched chick will be a male or a female. Eggs that will hatch into males can then simply be put into the egg supply chain, Coman-Hidy said.

I personally think that veganism might be possible short term, but the discipline and supplementation required to live this lifestyle longterm is enormous. If you are a vegan, i hope you also weave your own clothes (sweatshops) do not drive a car (pollution kills a ton of people even) do not pay tax (taxes help the gov. fund wars and kill people) and so forth.

There has to be balance between living ethically and functioning in our culture. You have to draw a line somewhere. Ask yourself: What do i really NEED? You do not need meat, but living as a vegan in some parts of the world is just IMPOSSIBLE.

downwardsfromzero
#76 Posted : 11/16/2017 11:14:58 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

JustATourist wrote:

Good luck with that super-low-cruelty, 100% grain diet Big grin

(There was genuinely a case of a boy who lived off jam sandwiches, but it seems he was being super ethical. I mean, at least if he didn't butter the bread.)

From the meta analysis:
Quote:
An increment of 4/week of egg intake could possibly increase risk of [...]
Wut?

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."

exquisitus
#77 Posted : 1/23/2018 7:12:45 PM
DMT-Nexus member

an interesting book n the subject of meat.

Francesco Buscemi
From Body Fuel to Universal Poison
Cultural History of Meat: 1900-The Present

https://vk.com/doc781663...mp;dl=621888ef67d2806eb4

downwardsfromzero
#78 Posted : 1/24/2018 12:10:25 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

This thread has actually inspired me to cut down on animal products quite significantly. When approached in a balanced way, this is better for the health.

PS - thanks for the link Thumbs up

justB612
#79 Posted : 5/25/2018 11:10:08 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Gut bacteria play critical role in anti-seizure effects of ketogenic diet, UCLA scientists report | UCLA

http://newsroom.ucla.edu...t-ucla-scientists-report

A reply from a reddit comment:

"I took a Master's level course on this recently and will try to keep it simple.

Probiotics, prebiotics, and dietary interventions can all help, however a reversion back to the mean is usually experienced after the intervention ends. This probably due to people going back to consuming the same diet they used to. So the way you beneficially change your gut microbiota is by making permanent adjustments to your diet.

Despite being populated by countless microbes, there are online a few "population combinations" that are common. I won't go through the details of all of them, but one of those populations is defined by the phylum Bacteroides and is commonly found in those that consume a lot of animal fats and proteins.

I didn't go through the paper but from the article it seems that they linked the positive effects to Akkermansia and the Bacteroides phylum. Bacteroides is commonly found in those that eat a lot of meat, and Akkermansia has been shown to increase with higher fibre intake.

From this article it looks like ketogenic diets also improve Akkermansia populations, however it could simply be due to the low carb, high fibre vegetables people consume when doing keto. Although the benefits of having Bacteroides and Akkermansia in the gut have long been associated with good body composition, think this is the first time they were linked with seizure reductions.

Tl;dr if you want a similar gut profile as that in the study you need to make permanent adjustments to your diet where you get plenty of meat and fibre."

I totally understand teh ethics part - if we accept the philosophical part of animals actually existing and feeling. Still should we cut down on our health because of it?

Is there a clear picture of what is a healthy diet at the moment?
A second chance? Huh... I thought I was on my fifth.

Raptorrr
#80 Posted : 5/26/2018 12:21:04 AM

PsilocyRaptorrr

justB612 wrote:
Gut bacteria play critical role in anti-seizure effects of ketogenic diet, UCLA scientists report | UCLA

http://newsroom.ucla.edu...t-ucla-scientists-report

A reply from a reddit comment:

"I took a Master's level course on this recently and will try to keep it simple.

Probiotics, prebiotics, and dietary interventions can all help, however a reversion back to the mean is usually experienced after the intervention ends. This probably due to people going back to consuming the same diet they used to. So the way you beneficially change your gut microbiota is by making permanent adjustments to your diet.

Despite being populated by countless microbes, there are online a few "population combinations" that are common. I won't go through the details of all of them, but one of those populations is defined by the phylum Bacteroides and is commonly found in those that consume a lot of animal fats and proteins.

I didn't go through the paper but from the article it seems that they linked the positive effects to Akkermansia and the Bacteroides phylum. Bacteroides is commonly found in those that eat a lot of meat, and Akkermansia has been shown to increase with higher fibre intake.

From this article it looks like ketogenic diets also improve Akkermansia populations, however it could simply be due to the low carb, high fibre vegetables people consume when doing keto. Although the benefits of having Bacteroides and Akkermansia in the gut have long been associated with good body composition, think this is the first time they were linked with seizure reductions.

Tl;dr if you want a similar gut profile as that in the study you need to make permanent adjustments to your diet where you get plenty of meat and fibre."

I totally understand teh ethics part - if we accept the philosophical part of animals actually existing and feeling. Still should we cut down on our health because of it?

Is there a clear picture of what is a healthy diet at the moment?

I'm skeptical of the keto diet, not necessarily for or against, but it seems to lack research, at least more than I would like. Vegan diets have a lot more research and the longest living populations on our planet eat plant-based diets.

It is the only diet shown to effectively halt, and reverse cardiovascular disease, the biggest killer in the Western world. That is aside from the numerous other health benefits people get from the diet.

One trend I have noticed with people going for keto, paleo, etc type diets is that people go from a highly processed diet to eating an obviously much healthier diet with whole foods and moar veggies so it's no suprise we see people's health improving.
The human being is this night, this empty nothing, that contains everything in its simplicity—an unending wealth of many representations, images, of which none belongs to him—or which are not present. ... One catches sight of this night when one looks human beings in the eye—into a night that becomes awful - Hegel

Anything perfect is worth destroying, in fact it is desirable to destroy it, true beauty lies in imperfection - Nietzsche

«PREV2345NEXT