We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
how to dispose of old reagent liquids Options

jiva
#1 Posted : 1/23/2018 5:08:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

hi everyone,

so i got some reagent liquids that are quite old.
what is the proper way of disposing them?

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

downwardsfromzero
#2 Posted : 1/23/2018 8:28:41 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

I guess you mean reagent liquids, rather than aqua regia.

Their disposal depends entirely on what they contain.

Acids and bases should be neutralised.

Hydrocarbons can be burnt or purified, likewise aliphatic alcohols.

Heavy metals, other toxic compounds or elements, and halogenated organics need to be dealt with by a proper waste disposal facility, although Fenton's reagent will get rid of chloroform or DCM well enough.

This is the briefest outline, I guess (hope) your implied lack of knowledge means you're not talking about anything really dangerous here.

http://www.cwu.edu/chemi...%20Safety%20Handbook.pdf

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

jiva
#3 Posted : 1/23/2018 11:00:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

thank you,
i am pretty sure nothing really dangerous in these test kits.
they are just old Mecke, Ehrlich and Marquis

also i corrected the spelling error

downwardsfromzero
#4 Posted : 1/24/2018 12:07:42 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Ah, I see. Test kit reagents. I should have inferred more from the layman speak - of course that's where you would see the word Embarrased

To me, a reagent is pretty much anything that's used to take part in a chemical reaction besides the solvent.

So, those test kit reagents are strongly acidic.

Marquis contains formaldehyde which is toxic and nasty. Formaldehyde is quite easily oxidised to formic acid.

Mecke contains selenious acid which is also toxic and nasty. Selenium is a toxic element so it should really be disposed of properly. That said, it's only present at 1%, so 10mg/mL.

Ehrlich contains p-dimethylaminobenzaldehyde which is 'only' mildly toxic. Probably the least nasty of the three, it also contains ethanol which is, of course, flammable.

I would advise taking them to your local dump, which should collect hazardous waste chemicals without question. (Assuming you live in a country where this infrastructure exists.)

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli