We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Using HCl instead of vinegar possible? Options

blue.magic
#1 Posted : 1/13/2018 4:33:09 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Can one use muriatic acid instead of acetic acid (vinegar) for syrian rue extraction?

I don't see a reason why not except for some practical reasons (vinegar is more readily available & food safe, does not produce irritating fumes, is safer to handle).

However, having a clean HCl, is there any physical reason it could not be used? Any excess HCl will evaporate and harmalas will already be in hydrochloride form when doing Manske. It seems cleaner to me as less chemicals are involved in the process. HCl also reacts with sodium hydroxide forming table salt, which is also already present in Manske.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

downwardsfromzero
#2 Posted : 1/13/2018 4:20:55 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

It might work, the only problem I can forsee is that solubility of harmala hydrochlorides in HCl might be limited for the same reasons that the Manske precipitation works - the excess of chloride potentially will cause the solubility product of the harmala HCl to be exceeded.

Manske used acetic acid, perhaps for this reason.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Jees
#3 Posted : 1/13/2018 4:43:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I've successfully extracted rue with muriatic acid before, no problem.
Even went to pH 1 during the acid stages, to break cells up, but that is not necessary.
I had to use lye as a base to base it, carbonates would have to be too much of them to neutralize that strong acid.

I can't remember if I tried to manske in a muriatic environment.

exquisitus
#4 Posted : 1/13/2018 11:53:13 PM
DMT-Nexus member

there is one HUUUGE problem with hcl, imho.
extremely corrosive fumes.
i am speaking from experience here.
if you have valuable equipment containing metal in the vicinity, even in the next room, doing anything that involves using hcl in a kitchen setting is kinda stupid, imho.

Jees
#5 Posted : 1/14/2018 12:01:44 AM

DMT-Nexus member

^^^ Yes, I did everything in glass back then.

blue.magic
#6 Posted : 1/14/2018 1:41:45 AM

DMT-Nexus member

exquisitus wrote:
there is one HUUUGE problem with hcl, imho.
extremely corrosive fumes.
i am speaking from experience here.
if you have valuable equipment containing metal in the vicinity, even in the next room, doing anything that involves using hcl in a kitchen setting is kinda stupid, imho.

That's why I asked whether there is a physical reason, apart from practical reasons.

It was mostly an academical question.