We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Rhodiola rosea possible effective MAOI Options

timeloop
#1 Posted : 10/15/2009 10:42:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

here is some info that may lead to another alternative source of MAOI...

Quote:
Rhodiola rosea may be effective for improving mood and alleviating depression. Pilot studies on human subjects[2][3][4] showed that it improves physical and mental performance, and may reduce fatigue.

Rhodiola rosea's effects potentially are related to optimizing serotonin and dopamine levels due to monoamine oxidase inhibition and its influence on opioid peptides such as beta-endorphins, [5] although these specific neurochemical mechanisms have not been clearly documented with scientific studies.

Rhodiola is included among a class of plant derivatives called adaptogens which differ from chemical stimulants, such as nicotine, and do not have the same physiological effects.

In Russia and Scandinavia, Rhodiola rosea has been used for centuries to cope with the cold Siberian climate and stressful life.[citation needed] Such effects were provided with evidence in laboratory models of stress using the nematode C. elegans,[6] and in rats in which Rhodiola effectively prevented stress-induced changes in appetite, physical activity, weight gain and the estrus cycle.[7]

Rhodiola has been used in traditional Chinese medicine, where it is called hóng jǐng tiān (红景天).

the fact that it seems to improve mood leads me to hope that it may have similar effects to thh? who knows? but I believe that it may be worth investigating further

Has anyone had any experience working with this particular plant/extract

(perhaps this thread would be more appropriate in another area?)

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

jamie
#2 Posted : 10/15/2009 4:48:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

I have taken rhodiola many times..I have a big bottle of concentrated pills..havent taken them for a while but I used to take them all day at work and drink lots of cocoa..always made me feel nice..went well with cannabis too.
Long live the unwoke.

Jorkest
#3 Posted : 10/15/2009 10:37:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf ProgrammingChemical expert | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf Programming

SWIM has a tincture of it..its pretty nice..but havent tried it as an maoi
it's a sound

MagikVenom
#4 Posted : 10/15/2009 11:18:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

It is a excellent tonic I have used it off and on for years thru many journeys but never noticed and MAOI effects but perhaps my dose was to low. My normal dose is 700mg of 5x root extract twice daily. I use the oral liquid from Prince of Peace Ultra Ginko Plus with Eleuthero(Siberian ginseng) and Tibetan Rhodiola. I usaully use 3months on 1 month off.

PEACE
MV

shoe
#5 Posted : 10/15/2009 11:23:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

It really works for stress?
+ Is used in traditional chinese medicine? Im willing to give credit to that, just because its not from our culture doesn't mean that it isn't as good as ours, and it certainly doesn't mean that it doesn't work *at all*.

So, Im feeling a little stressed and a little down due to university, pressures of being organised and studying hard. I figure I could do with some of this stuff, I mean, if it works?

Can anyone vouch for it?
shoe

ॐ भूर्भुव: स्व: तत्सवितुर्वरेण्यं । भर्गो देवस्य धीमहि, धीयो यो न: प्रचोदयात्
Love, Gratittude, Compassion, Fearlessness!

MagikVenom
#6 Posted : 10/15/2009 11:43:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I seem to notice a mild difference but nothing I could not rule out as placebo. There are many studies by Russian scientists that appear to prove benifical effects. Most of these type of things seem to have no effect on me so I just try them and see what happens I take it in combo with Ginkgo and Eleuthero. So I would say try it for at least a month preferably 2months see how you feel it is not very expensive.

It is a adapatogen or tonic and supposedly allows your body to adapt to stressful situations more rapidly. Give it a shot dont expect miracles but it wont do you any harm and you may feel a mild benefit. It could be placebo but if you feel better you feel better. Lets us know your findings if you try it.

PEACE
MV

Dorge
#7 Posted : 10/16/2009 7:36:50 AM

Chen Cho Dorge

high doubts on this one...
Dorge is cooperatively owned and cooperatively run by various hyperspacial entities working as a collabertive sentience project for the betterment of sentient exploration.

Offical Changa web sitehttp://changa.esotericpharma.org/

jamie
#8 Posted : 10/16/2009 5:39:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

I always thought that it was an SSRI..I am quite sure that it does increase seratonin anyway..but I dont think it's a strong MAOI or anything..

It has proven adaptogenic qualitites though, I remember reading about it in one of my textbooks for school..
Long live the unwoke.

sauroman1
#9 Posted : 9/26/2015 9:34:36 PM

Anybody from Lisbon?

So is it contains enough MAOi?

jamie
#10 Posted : 9/27/2015 12:24:05 AM

DMT-Nexus member

not likely going to get full inhibition of MAO-A needed for activation of DMT.
Long live the unwoke.

sauroman1
#11 Posted : 9/27/2015 12:02:21 PM

Anybody from Lisbon?

Contain rosavin 3% MAOi A and salidroside 1% which is MAOi B. That is not little

downwardsfromzero
#12 Posted : 9/27/2015 10:01:46 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Are the rosavin and salidroside amounts consistent among the various chemotypes that exist around the world? I've read that Russian Rhodiola has a distinct chemical profile, as do various others from, e.g., Sweden or China.

I've a fairly decent quantity of tincture as it happens. This theory could be tested.

Wow, nearly 6 years' bump time! (Is this a sign???Pleased)

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

DreaMTripper
#13 Posted : 11/25/2017 1:41:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Another 2 years...this is not a small inhibition.

http://www.sciencedirect...le/pii/S037887410900021X

Quote:

OutlineDownloadExport
Journal of Ethnopharmacology
Volume 122, Issue 2, 18 March 2009, Pages 397-401
Ethnopharmacological communication
Monoamine oxidase inhibition by Rhodiola rosea L. roots
Author links open overlay panelDaphnevan DiermenaKurtHostettmanna
Show more
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2009.01.007
Get rights and content
Abstract
Aim of the study

Rhodiola rosea L. (Crassulaceae) is traditionally used in Eastern Europe and Asia to stimulate the nervous system, enhance physical and mental performance, treat fatigue, psychological stress and depression. In order to investigate the influence of Rhodiola rosea L. roots on mood disorders, three extracts were tested against monoamine oxidases (MAOs A and B) in a microtitre plate bioassay.
Materials and methods

Methanol and water extracts gave the highest inhibitory activity against MAOs. Twelve compounds were then isolated by bioassay-guided fractionation using chromatographic methods. The structures were determined by 1H, 13C NMR and HR-MS.
Results

The methanol and water extracts exhibited respectively inhibitions of 92.5% and 84.3% on MAO A and 81.8% and 88.9% on MAO B, at a concentration of 100 μg/ml. The most active compound (rosiridin) presented an inhibition over 80% on MAO B at a concentration of 10−5 M (pIC50 = 5.38 ± 0.05).
Conclusions

The present investigation demonstrates that Rhodiola rosea L. roots have potent anti-depressant activity by inhibiting MAO A and may also find application in the control of senile dementia by their inhibition of MAO B.