We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Iboga gives a glimpse into the capabilities of the brain Options

Jagube
#1 Posted : 11/21/2017 12:03:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Some of the effects I experience on Iboga show how amazing the human brain is. Just a couple of examples:

- I hear songs (or more generally audio 'tracks' ) from childhood I didn't know I remembered, e.g. TV commercials from nearly 30 years ago, in great detail. This would suggest we store in our memory literally everything we experience and when we can't recall something it's not because our memory of it has faded, but rather our brain has marked it as less important (after not using it for a long time) and is less likely to bring it to our consciousness, kind of like when we don't use an item but don't want to throw it away, we store it away in the basement or somewhere similar, so it's still in our house, but it's unlikely we'll see it again.

- When I put an eye mask on and open my eyes under the mask, I can see the room as if I wasn't wearing the mask. My interpretation is that my brain reconstructs the room with all the objects (ceiling lamp, furniture etc.) based on its memory of the image of the actual room seen earlier. It also uses proprioception, because the image moves when I move my head, and even is updated accordingly when I wave my hand before my (covered) eyes: I see the waving hand with my brain, not with my eyes. It's amazing that the brain can do that - completely subconsciously and without my knowledge - to the point it can trick my conscious mind into thinking I'm seeing it with my eyes when in fact it's a complex, high-resolution, interactive reproduction that even a modern computer would struggle to compute in real time.

I've recently read about people possessing amazing skills e.g. as a result of brain lesions, like absolute photographic memory whereby someone can see an image once and subsequently draw the same image in great detail. It's hypothesized we all have those skills, but in normal brains there is some sort of inhibition going on. When a lesion damages an area causing such inhibition, an amazing skill may suddenly be 'gained'.
This reminded me of the song hearing on Iboga. The songs have been in my memory all the time, but some mechanism in my brain marked them as material of low importance and caused me to 'forget' them - and for a good reason: I wouldn't want irrelevant material I've seen or heard once to bombard my consciousness forever (along with all the other things I've seen or heard), so there needs to be some selectiveness based on importance and relevance, hence the mechanism of forgetting. But when I take Iboga, the plant switches that off temporarily and selectively... it's like a trip to the basement / attic / shed where you discover things you had forgotten you had. And after dusting off, that old photograph of you as a 5 year old kid is like new.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Bancopuma
#2 Posted : 11/21/2017 11:44:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Jagube wrote:
- When I put an eye mask on and open my eyes under the mask, I can see the room as if I wasn't wearing the mask. My interpretation is that my brain reconstructs the room with all the objects (ceiling lamp, furniture etc.) based on its memory of the image of the actual room seen earlier. It also uses proprioception, because the image moves when I move my head, and even is updated accordingly when I wave my hand before my (covered) eyes: I see the waving hand with my brain, not with my eyes. It's amazing that the brain can do that - completely subconsciously and without my knowledge - to the point it can trick my conscious mind into thinking I'm seeing it with my eyes when in fact it's a complex, high-resolution, interactive reproduction that even a modern computer would struggle to compute in real time.

I experienced precisely this phenomenon to a staggering degree on my first iboga flood. It was mind blowing to be able to "see" my arms moving about in front of me, in real time, without the use of my eyes. Another very special experience I only that first time (vividly) was the projection of any thoughts I was having in front of me, holographically. So I could think anything in a visionary sense and then manipulate those images in any way that I pleased by just using intent alone. The genius inventor Nikola Tesla apparently had this ability all the time, of being able to project his thoughts in this manner, which is partly what made him such an excellent engineer, and why he never kept lab notes. He found it hard to distinguish his thought projections from reality though which caused him distress at times. But yeah special stuff iboga and one can't help but marvel at the wonders of the brain.

dragonrider
#3 Posted : 11/25/2017 12:52:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah, i had that too, with my arms. But i have it still, ever since. I can Always see my arms now. Even in total darkness.

Iboga realy heightens the senses. I think most people who've taken iboga, probably had the sensation at some point, of being able to hear all kind of sounds that are produced by the body. I could hear changes in bloodpressure for instance. And when i focussed on it, i could even hear very small changes. I could hear changes in bloodpressure even, caused by moving just one finger.

And electric devices. All electric devices produce a sort of buzzing sound. But you normally don't hear it, with most devices.
On iboga, i could hear electric devices from across the room.
And it wasn't a hallucination, because i checked it later, when i got sober again. When i put my ear against them, a few days later, i could hear exactly the same sounds that i had heard on iboga.

It's often said that psychedelics eliminate the filtering mechanism that we normally, automatically apply on sensory input.
I think iboga does this to an evern greater extent than 'normal' psychedelics do.
With normal psychedelics, there is still the filtering mechanism of interpreting the data.
There are still things like thoughts and feelings.
But iboga has the potential to even eliminate those 'filters'.

The only time in my life i ever truly experienced afasia on a psychedelic substance, was with iboga. Sure, i have had other experiences where i was speechless, or where thoughts seemed to go too fast for me to be able to find words. But with iboga i realy experienced a state of counsciousness like that of a child that hasn't learned a language yet.
And when i became aware of this, memories started to appear, of when i learned to speak..as a toddler.
That was a crazy experience: a sort of neural network was visualised, a bit like a mindmap, linking all kind of visual elements to sounds, and other visual elements. The only difference with a conventional mindmap was, that this thing was very interactive and in constant motion.
I think i literally saw, how my brain learned to speak.

My theory is that with other psychedelics, there is still a lot og 'clutter' going on, that filters things out, or that distracts. Things like feelings of bliss, awe, or oneness with everything, as great as they may be, still stand in the way in a sense, of experiencing raw sensory perception or pure unadulterated memories.

Bancopuma
#4 Posted : 11/25/2017 1:44:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Interesting stuff! That's cool regarding your seeing arms in darkness. I've definitely noticed on being in the dark lying in bed it doesn't take much for me to tune into s state close to that.

And that's very interesting regarding the enhanced sound perception, I've noted this too. Firstly, internal brain noises going into one flood session...they were so loud I thought it was coming from outside of me for a brief time. But I could hear the electrical whirring’s of my brain as my consciousness altered (the brain being, on some crude level, bio-electrical device).

On one of the flood sessions (my only time dosing with the root bark alone) I noticed an incredible enhancement of my hearing. It was something highly distinct from the classical psychedelics, where depth of sounds is markedly enhanced...this was simply a very notable enhancement in hearing without much else added. Far away sounds seem weirdly close, it was quite bizarre, and both my mum and I experienced this (I think advanced meditators report similar things on occasion).

But yeah intriguing stuff iboga that's for sure.

Jagube
#5 Posted : 11/25/2017 4:51:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

When I'm on Iboga I hear my neighbours through the wall. The sound is still dampened by the wall and it's hard to make out the words (or maybe I just don't care to, I don't want to eavesdrop), but the volume is amplified greatly and if not for the wall's filtering of the higher frequencies I might think they're right next to me.

Empath
#6 Posted : 1/6/2018 11:14:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yesss! Thats jist the tip of the ice burg ! Iboga is the best thing that ever happened to me ! Check my post below ( divine experince ).
"There are no accidents/luck, And if there are it's up to us to look at them as something else.

"So have they not #traveled through the earth and have hearts by which to reason and ears by which to hear? For indeed, It is not eyes that are blinded, But blinded are the hearts which are within the breasts."{Qur'an}

IG account@Empath___