We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
How have psychedelics effected your view on diet? Options

Fenrir
#1 Posted : 11/7/2017 5:51:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

A

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

AikyO
#2 Posted : 11/7/2017 12:46:56 PM

Neō KyK ĖntheŌnaut

It changed alright, I never theorized it though. I mean that I never began to research and learn about proteins and what needs I. I just was attracted to it in a very delusional way.

So I went off meat after my first hallucinogenic breakthrought, I thought "you ware what you eat - I want to be more like plants". But what might have changed the most is how I made the food. For me it was more about being extremely conscious in all steps of the process that was important. It was really like art and magic. I would think about geometry when cutting and frying or sing while cooking. Then, when I started microdosing, I wanted to eat only fruits. And it was really about colors, I was eating colors. It did not last long but it was an interesting experience.

What really changed is the how though. The ritual aspect of it. Eating very, veryveryvery, slowly and chewing for a long, longlonglong, time. You discover new savors and it is important: chewing is the last act you do before communicating the food to your body, it denotes a good relation with one subconscious. Also taking time to feel the digestion afterward - breathing. I am not always in the mood to eat so consciouscly and precisly but I hold it as a precious thing, I can't believe I wasn't taught to eat in such ways when I was a kid.
安心精神芝簡単吸収前進
'''.'''''...'''''''..'~>\\\*'*¤@¤-.*;,^/ò°ò\^,,;*.-¤@¤*'*///<~'..'''''''...'''''.'''
*/(°_-_-_-_-_-_-,-:_:°_°::.:..((<u><u><u><u><u><vvv><vvv><vv><vvv>((",°^°FFF[[[--°°°___<<<```///---_°°°<<`_`_`°o°o°O°O°.°-)-(-°..°o.)°..O))°°(O°;';;'';;;''<°<°<<°°°<°°°<<<°°__-_---___---_°_°°___°°--°°_---____/__//___//__///__/_///_/_///_//o°oo°°oo°°oo°oo°°°ooo°o°o°o°o°o°°o°o°o^°^°^^°^°^°^°,,-.'''..--''__--```((-°-),-.-,,((),)(),)
.°o;;;^`^_<<<8>>>_^`^,,,O.°

Fenrir
#3 Posted : 11/7/2017 6:07:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

B

TheUniversalSigh
#4 Posted : 11/19/2017 8:24:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I can't say that psychdelics, or mind-altering states more generally, have interacted with my views on diet, but I can see how the two could be in conversation. Psychedelic states are rife in personal choice introspection!

However I can say that general introspection weather or not it has been inlfuenced by a psychdelic state is an important thing. One long conversation on the ethics of meat eating was enough for me and a few of my close friends to adopt veganism. Even though I haven't been veganing long, I'd imagine that were I to be in an altered-state I'd almost certainly reflect positively on this choice. This is to say that a psychedelic state would likely retoactively comment on a previously introspected point of ethical behavior. At least I hope it would!

Quote:
So I went off meat after my first hallucinogenic breakthrought, I thought "you ware what you eat - I want to be more like plants".
I like this alot!

Quote:
I truly just think the worst offending things in the modern diet which are really detrimental to human health are grains, vegetable oils, soy, and added sugar.

Can you elaborate on this point? I can see it for some, but my (abeit cursory) research on soy has conveyed the conclusion that it is largely benign. Given that my diet is largely soy, I'd like to know for sure! Thanks.

universecannon
#5 Posted : 11/19/2017 9:48:32 PM

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

A raw plant based diet for the past 8 years has changed me in ways I can barely begin to language, but it has to be done carefully to work right.

This gives a pretty good summary of how a symbiotic relationship with the sex organs of angiosperms and their juvenilizing biochemistry could be the likely culprate in our bizarre human traits, and current state of disconnection.
https://youtu.be/MZfSqNGsP7k

.pdf with forward by Dennis McKenna https://www.google.com/u...aw1xgezWwjNSuoseocUr6_su

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

Auxin
#6 Posted : 11/19/2017 10:41:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Fenrir wrote:
...i believe that a diet high in animal food is the most healthful way one can live, plants can be important to but most wild undomesticated plants contain many antinutrients and phytotoxins...

I do hope you understand that this belief is contradicted by all legitimate medical research and every world health authority in existence. Even american health authorities, which are employees of the meat industry, now say extremely high fat intake and high animal flesh intake is unequivocally linked to a vast array of adverse health outcomes and a shorter lifespan overall. A 'very very high fat paleo low in plant matter' diet is one of the most dangerous diets one could follow long-term.
Quote:
...I truly just think the worst offending things in the modern diet which are really detrimental to human health are grains, vegetable oils, soy, and added sugar...

I agree with your avoidance of refined oils and sugars, but nearly all of the healthiest cultures in human history based their diets on whole grains and legumes. The exceptions just helped prove the rule, basing their diets on things like mongongo nuts or sweet potato leaves and tubers. I too was suspicious of soy for many years (particularly unfermented soy) based on the fact that the first decades of research promoting soy was done by the soy industry and was therefore intrinsically unreliable, but these days there is a large pool of independent research confirming that its ok.

Elrik
#7 Posted : 11/19/2017 11:51:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I dont know if it would be technically accurate to say psychedelics effected my diet.
It would be better to say I used psychedelics to find or create the opening through which I ultimately radically altered my diet.
I was born to a diseased body in a disease ridden family. I have structural deformities to my body that, while not grossly disfiguring, caused constant pain. I was born with a gastrointestinal 'disorder' that left me partially incapacitated much of the time and in pain every day. In my teens I developed juvenile arthritis and cardiovascular disease. I was perpetually weak and tired. My extended family is plagued with cardiovascular disease, diabetes, arthritis, impotence, and other such western diseases.
Life was just the tragedy that occurred between waking up in the morning and going to sleep at night. Like all of my family I followed a very distinctly western style diet. My doctors had abandoned all hope for me to the point where they openly told me so [a very bold action for western doctors]. I was supposed to scream in pain and claw my way along until my final death. Fun times.
While watching my father die and blowing my mind on mushrooms I finally created the opening to change. Those mushroom trips gave me the cognitive freedom to see my habit patterns AS habit patterns and recognize a different life as possible. I just didnt know what that different life was. Mushrooms gave me freedom, but not knowledge. So I hit the books. I didnt honestly think I could fix all of my problems, or even most of them, I just knew from watching my father that I didnt want my last decade of life to be spent screaming and crying in pain, addicted to drugs, and eventually ravaged by medication induced dementia before dying 20 years early and I knew from the mushrooms that I had in me the potential for enough strength and dignity to change who I was in order to change who I would become.
In my extensive research into health and nutrition, based on reading a dozen medical books and far over a hundred medical research journal papers, I came to the conclusion that nearly every aspect of diet and lifestyle I was raised into was pathological. With the freedom the mushrooms gave me I changed it all. Every aspect of my life, every minute from waking up to going to sleep. That included transitioning to a highly unprocessed very low fat 100% home cooked vegan diet. It was the biggest experiment of my life, it was an experiment ON my life.
And I'll be damned, it worked.
Incurable arthritis, gone. Incurable cardiovascular disease, completely cured. Incurable gastrointestinal disorder, gone. No more hypertension. I felt strong. I felt vigorous. I finally felt like I was awake. I can pump iron and run a 10K. The only way you can upset my stomach is to give me a nice strong mug of ayahuasca Wink
Psychedelics didnt effect my view on diet, psychedelics effected my view on the very core of my being and the transformed and liberated me changed its own view on diet by logic and reason.

Locoboy
#8 Posted : 11/20/2017 1:56:43 AM
DMT-Nexus member

For sure psychedelics changed me considering my diet among other things. I always took care of what i eat because of my desire to have a healthy body all my adult life. But i was into the trap of too much protein taken from meat sources. Since this summer i have changed habits, i will eat meat 1 time monthly at best and have become much more oriented towards vegetables, green stuff generally and beans and this type of food. I also consume alcohol and coffee 1-2 times per month nowadays. I attribute this largely to my harmala micro/low/normal doses many times in the span of these months.

Northerner
#9 Posted : 11/20/2017 2:01:42 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Well, an entity and I had this discussion about what was good to eat and what was bad. Pretty much everything that is natural is okay and pretty much everything out of a packet is not okay.

Except my pet fish. Other fish are okay to eat, but not my ones. Very happy
The nearest we ever come to knowing truth is when we are witness to paradox.

dreamer042
#10 Posted : 11/20/2017 4:56:46 AM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

In as much as I came to the realization that "someone" has to grow all this cannabis I'm smoking and all these mushrooms I'm eating, and why shouldn't that someone be me? I came to find the merit in self sufficiency.

Gardening of psychoactives naturally leads to an interest in gardening in general. Pharmacology leads to nutrition. Long story short, cannabis is a gateway to kale!
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca

Fenrir
#11 Posted : 11/20/2017 5:20:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

C

dreamer042
#12 Posted : 11/20/2017 5:44:48 AM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

Fenrir wrote:
i strongly encourage you to find a society in which the diet was based on grains where health was not in shambles.

You mean like Japan, where the diet is largely based on rice, soy, and noodles (wheat) with lots of fresh vegetables and moderate amounts of meat and fish. Where the life expectancy is the highest in the world and the obesity rate is the lowest in the world.
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca

Auxin
#13 Posted : 11/20/2017 5:55:51 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I'll preface by saying my previous post was not a suggestion that you go vegan. If you want to eat meat I have no issue with that. I just think you should really investigate the actual medical effects of very high fat very high meat diets.
A few comments on your last post:
Fenrir wrote:
as far as grains and soy go i strongly encourage you to find a society in which the diet was based on grains where health was not in shambles. Look at their teeth the scourge of rot which before modern dentistry was very dangerous. Look at their bones and evidence of osteoperosis and such that is like.

Virtually all pre-industrial societies had very low instances of all modern western diseases. Just read the works of weston price Pleased. Another classic is Farmers Of Forty Centuries Or Permanent Agriculture In China, Korea And Japan.
Nearly all pre-second industrial revolution asian cultures were based mostly on brown rice [yes 20-60% polished counts as brown by our standards] and vegetables. Until the second industrial revolution nearly all of china was semi-vegetarian and they had superb health. When they went industrialized any region that could afford machine polished rice and factory foods saw dramatic deterioration of health, the 'poor' regions did not.
Most of africa was grain based, sure they had bad infectious disease issues but essentially no western diseases. Most native american tribes were semivegetarian. The list goes on.
Fenrir wrote:
Then theres phytic acid to prevent the absorbtion of any calcium, iron, or magnesium which was eaten at the same meal to go along with the inherent lack of nutrition the grains themselves hold.
The reason no real scientific authority ever said this is because 'phytate' isnt in grains. What is in grains is calcium magnesium phytate. Thats phytate holding as much calcium and magnesium as it can hold. The theory, a hundred years ago, was that the phytate anion was 'anti-nutrient' in that it might not give up the calcium and magnesium it brought to the party. This was disproven long ago (it holds on to some but cooking and digestion frees up loads) and more recently phytate has been shown to be a beneficial antioxidant. It may bind some iron. Too much iron is known to promote cancer, this is an issue in meat eaters.
Fenrir wrote:
I highly suggest the works of weston price to any interested, he was a dentist who traveled all across the world studying indegenous people and i very much respect his opinions.

Now, I dont mean this in a bad way. Have you actually read his book or did you read sally fallons distortions of his works? I loved weston prices book, and I recommend it too. In historical context. He went around the world during the industrial revolution before vitamin and mineral fortification of foodstuffs had been implemented and documented the often devastating effect of populations transitioning from a diet rich in whole grains, fresh vegetables, and free range meat/dairy foods to refined diets based on unfortified white flour, refined sugar, and feedlot lard. The severe drop in vitamins, minerals, fiber, and phytochemicals caused severe degeneration of peoples health. Its a shame this historic work has been grossly distorted by the fanatical sally fallon in her attempt to get people to adopt virtually plant-free diets. Weston Price was a pioneer in exposing the dangers of unfortified overly refined diets.

Cognitive Heart
#14 Posted : 11/20/2017 10:55:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

dreamer042 wrote:
In as much as I came to the realization that "someone" has to grow all this cannabis I'm smoking and all these mushrooms I'm eating, and why shouldn't that someone be me? I came to find the merit in self sufficiency. Gardening of psychoactives naturally leads to an interest in gardening in general. Pharmacology leads to nutrition. Long story short, cannabis is a gateway to kale!

Beautifully written. Pleased
'What's going to happen?' 'Something wonderful.'

Skip the manual, now, where's the master switch?

We are interstellar stardust, the re-dox co-factors of existence. Serve the sacred laws of the universe before your time comes to an end. Oh yes, you shall be rewarded.

Fenrir
#15 Posted : 11/21/2017 7:30:06 AM

DMT-Nexus member

D

Ulim
#16 Posted : 11/21/2017 5:00:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Not really.
Ofc its important to eat well before tripping and having some "easy to eat" food prepped when you trip.

Auxin
#17 Posted : 11/21/2017 7:52:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Fenrir wrote:
If im not mistaken it was weston price who did not find a single people who ate a diet completely devoid of animal foods which was doing well
That is because he didnt find any culture traditionally following a vegan diet. The only people he found not eating any meat or open range dairy were basing their diets on white sugar and unfortified white flour.
Fenrir wrote:
many of the peoples he studied did eat grains, but the point stands none of them were basing their caloric needs around them, the irish had their oats and the swedes there rye, but each had access to extremely fresh high quality animal food in the form of fish and cheese respectively.
Fish and cheese were not the basis of their diets. They were a substantial and central component, yes, but the majority of their calories came from whole grains.
Fenrir wrote:
i would like to see where it was disproven that phytic acid/phytate is not able to be broken down. Im fully aware of the positive qualitys of the said compound some people even supplement it, but in the context of the already nutrient deficient diet many today follow i dont think many want to lose the chance at any more magnesium and calcium than they have to.
Meat and dairy is horribly low in magnesium. To get magnesium you need to eat plants.
This paper shows phytate to be partly broken down in digestion
This one shows that the other things in your meal can increase bioavailability of iron and zinc in grains irrespective of phytates
Here we can see that leavening bread even with just manufactured yeast will break down phytate and free up minerals. Traditional cultures used sourdough, of course, which breaks down more.
Literally tens of thousands of such papers can be found through google scholar, which is a great search engine.
Hard-science nutrition societies, like at cambridge university, dont hesitate to class phytates as beneficial components of the diet.
Fenrir wrote:
Where does a vegan get their fat soluble vitamins a d k and e in the quantities necessary for good health? Sure theres betacarotene but it cant be converted into retinol in the body in the absence of the bile acids which digest fats so a extremely low fat vegan has very much trouble getting vitamin a in usable form. Sure d can be made from solar energy and k1 is in many greens but the sheer amount of matter which must be consumed to aquire adequate amounts of these compared to whats in meat is far less feasable in long term.
You should be aware that animal products are fortified with vitamins A and D, and often E, because they are such bad sources of those vitamins. Just read a milk jug. Organ meats can be rich in them, true, most meat eaters dont consume much of those though.
Vitamin D comes from the sun. People at risk for late-winter deficiency like dark skined people in canada and people at risk for late-winter insufficiency like old people in the northern half of the US could sun bathe some dried mushrooms in the summer and store them for the winter or they could use a supplement pill once a week for those couple of months. The liquid pills are absorbed best. Plant foods are the best source of vitamin A. Our bodies can convert pro-vitamin A to vitamin A as needed, thus avoiding overdose toxicity. When the active form is got from meats that safety measure is circumvented and people can overdose. Any green plant is a good source of vitamin A and low fat vegans still do produce bile.
Vitamin K only comes from plants and bacteria. Its where animals are supposed to get it, any in meat is there because the animal ate plants or, more likely, the animal was drugged with pharmaceutical grade mock-vitamin K because the animal was not allowed access to plants. Vitamin K deficiency is never seen in vegetarians.
Vitamin E comes from grains and nuts with a little in leafy vegetables. Unfortified meat is nearly devoid of vitamin E.

I wouldnt say meat should not be in the human diet, in most cases thats an issue of ethics rather than health and ethics is a personal thing, what I am saying is that if you decide to have corned beef and cabbage for dinner dont forget the cabbage! Razz
and perhaps have some whole grain sourdough bread as well, so you get some minerals and fiber.

CapnMysticSand
#18 Posted : 11/29/2017 3:37:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I definitely don't subscribe to the idea that there is a right way to eat, but I was indeed inspired to switch to a vegetarian diet by a psilocybin mushroom experience.

In the midst of the experience I was perched on a large rock overlooking a pond society of a variety of birds and other creatures. I observed how the individuals and groups of the community interacted with each other and the mind drew comparisons to Homo sapien civilization.

Things kept spiraling from there until I basically just decided to work towards eating much less meat and animal products that I think might have been sourced from organizations that don't take animal consciousness and suffering into consideration.

blue.magic
#19 Posted : 11/29/2017 1:36:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Basically to remove all "dead" junk food and drug-like food from the diet, remove all sugar and salt, then go with your feeling...