We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
cant suck off 50 ml layer Options

abrahamx
#1 Posted : 11/20/2017 9:34:38 AM
DMT-Nexus member

So swims in the middle of his first extraction using Normans tek. Using 50 grams of mhrb and 50 ml of naptha. Swim has a ss turkey baster with a injector needle at the end. That damn bulb is just to hard to use. swim had a nice amount in a collection jar but tried to get more and just ended up sucking up some black stuff so swim put it all back into the mixing jar and put it away over night. Now swim has decided to order some pipettes. Swim is mainly wondering if the mixture will be alright waiting a week or so before pipettes arive? swim actually thinking of just sucking it all off plus some of the bad and putting it into a smaller marrow container like a tall shot glass then letting it re seperate. Or are there any other suggestions swim might use? Swim has read about adding more naptha but not sure this is ideal? swim is really more worried about letting it soak in lye and naptha for 24+hrs. Any issue with this?

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

#2 Posted : 11/20/2017 11:55:57 AM

DMT-Nexus member

just put it in a bottle with a tight neck, this reduces the surface compared to the baster and the naptha is more condensed.

Spiralout
#3 Posted : 11/20/2017 4:16:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Use tight neck bottled if you can

Also try a big 10ml syringe

abrahamx
#4 Posted : 11/20/2017 5:27:11 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Does the syringe have to be glass. I almost got one but i thought it had to be glass or stainless steel.

antares
#5 Posted : 11/20/2017 5:58:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I believe most general purpose medical syringes are made of polypropylene which is rated B (good resistance) for naptha on solvent compatibility charts. I think you will be fine as long as you don't leave it within the syringe for ages and ages. Even polyethylene syringes should be okay for transient contact with naptha but avoid if you can.

Ulim
#6 Posted : 11/20/2017 6:33:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

antares wrote:
I believe most general purpose medical syringes are made of polypropylene which is rated B (good resistance) for naptha on solvent compatibility charts. I think you will be fine as long as you don't leave it within the syringe for ages and ages. Even polyethylene syringes should be okay for transient contact with naptha but avoid if you can.

HDPE would work. Really depends on syringes. But generally i find it easier just to use a big boro pipette and tranfer it to a tall glass like the people above meantionted. Then you can just pull way easier.
The rest that stays on top i usually just ignite before draining the soup if its spend.
Better to burn hydrocarbons than to dump em.

Sakkadelic
#7 Posted : 11/20/2017 9:07:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

antares wrote:

other than the solvent compatibility, medical syringes only work to suck naphtha one time and that's it, even releasing the naphtha will be hard, i think bcz of some characteristics of naphtha(maybe viscosity) it will penetrate under the rubber seal and make it very hard to slide in the barrel...

baby medicine syringes work well but they are just 5ml which makes pulling a PITA
"Is this the end of our adventure? Nothing has an end. We came in search of the secret of immortality, to be like gods, and here we are... mortals, more human than ever. If we have not obtained immortality, at least we have obtained reality. We began in a fairytale and we came to life! But is this life reality? We are images, dreams, photographs. We must not stay here! Prisoners! We shall break the illusion. This is Maya. Goodbye to the holy mountain. Real life awaits us." ~ Alejandro Jodorowsky

Elrik
#8 Posted : 11/20/2017 10:35:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

An alternative to pouring into a narrow container is to insert something into the container to reduce the surface area. Just imagine putting a shot glass in a half full whiskey glass, the top of the whiskey would have a reduced surface area and if there were oil on top the layer would suddenly be thicker.
Just dont make a mess with the caustic extraction liquid.

abrahamx
#9 Posted : 11/20/2017 11:34:38 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I ended up finding a 150 ml bottle. A small bottle of a drink mixer. I sucked off the top 150 ml and placed into the smaller container. Worked well except I spilled the bottle but still managed to get what looks like close to 50 ml's but definitely lost some. Ohwell first pull of my first run. Next time I will pay more attention to what container I use. The tek (norman tek) calles for a wide mouth container. Live and learn. A small to tiny mouth container is much better. Do pipettes work much better at drawing off the top layer? What works best. Whatever is made for that job I would like to order. I have more work/research to do but am learning. From what I gather a pipette is the tool for the job. I was going to get a seperatory funnel but after reading a few things on this forum I decided against it.

Northerner
#10 Posted : 11/21/2017 12:59:55 AM

DMT-Nexus member

A pipette is the go, get a 25ml one if you want the best investment.
The nearest we ever come to knowing truth is when we are witness to paradox.

Spiralout
#11 Posted : 11/21/2017 5:58:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I would use glass syringe but I'm not against pipette or separators funnel...

Bigger vessel would be easier for first part and then transfer to something smaller to seperate

Kerberos
#12 Posted : 11/21/2017 8:13:17 PM

Michael

Hi,i posted my way of getting around this problem here
The pictures speak for themselves, but basically if you can get your hands on a small glass funnel you can get your 50ml off in less than a minute with no basic mix contamination whatsoeverSmile
Kerberos
and when the world stops
you will find me there
waiting to embrace you

abrahamx
#13 Posted : 11/22/2017 2:51:58 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Wow. Great technique. I will have to try that and read that thread when I get home. Any particular place you get chemistry supplies?

blue.magic
#14 Posted : 11/24/2017 9:45:28 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I am now using 1 000 ml or 2 000 ml reagent bottle (DURAN or SIMAX) as these have narrowing necks, leaving enough air space for shaking and making the NPS layer thick enough (you can add water to thicken the layer and suck more on the last pull):

As for the pipette, a thin 5 ml pipette works fine for me, sometimes syringe as well (though these clog more easily).

Maybe large Erlenmeyer flask should work well too.

â—‹
#15 Posted : 11/24/2017 10:19:49 AM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

blue.magic wrote:
I am now using 1 000 ml or 2 000 ml reagent bottle (DURAN or SIMAX) as these have narrowing necks, leaving enough air space for shaking and making the NPS layer thick enough (you can add water to thicken the layer and suck more on the last pull):

As for the pipette, a thin 5 ml pipette works fine for me, sometimes syringe as well (though these clog more easily).

Maybe large Erlenmeyer flask should work well too.

Ooooo those bottles are real nice, I like the overall design, thanks for sharing that Smile

abrahamx
#16 Posted : 11/24/2017 1:27:24 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I think a volumetric flask would really be the shit but a fifth of Goldshlager liquor is almost the same shape. Would work great but I cant find a liter. I realized I could just adjust my amount to perfectly fit whatever container I have. Swim would like to run 250 grams next so will dry run the project with water first to see exactly how much liquid is needed and fing a vessel to match or find something close and slightly adjust the volume to fit the vessel. Would be nice if the teks mentioned the container used. Maybe for future edits.