We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Tor Browser Sign In Issues Options

Babylon Bambi
#1 Posted : 11/19/2017 6:21:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Is anyone else having problems signing in using Tor Browser?

When i enter my username and password the page refreshes like I've input the wrong password.

The password reset process doesn't work properly either, it's been driving me up the wall!

Now I've switched to Firefox it's functioning normally but i'd prefer to be using Tor.

Any help much appreciated.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Northerner
#2 Posted : 11/20/2017 3:13:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

By using tor regularly without using a VPN you mark yourself for attention for the authorities. That's 100% fine if you've got nothing to hide and just use it for anonymity because you are a journalist or something.

Meanwhile for secure anonymous browsing you shouldn't log in with tor whilst using it and should be using a VPN also.

For general browsing where you don't want your government pilfered metadata containing things like harm reduction websites you should use just a VPN.

Hopefully this provides some clarity.
The nearest we ever come to knowing truth is when we are witness to paradox.

slewb
#3 Posted : 11/20/2017 3:39:08 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I've had no trouble with the tor browser.

If you don't have a VPN tor is better than nothing.

Northerner
#4 Posted : 11/20/2017 3:56:01 AM

DMT-Nexus member

slewb wrote:
If you don't have a VPN tor is better than nothing.

Actually it's worse than nothing for general browsing because regular use flags you to government snoops. That is the point I was trying to convey.

Unless we can somehow get everyone to use it that's how it 's going to stay. Even just 2% of the browser market would be enough to flood the snoops databases and make them useless, until then it's not a great solution for anonymity.

slewb
#5 Posted : 11/20/2017 4:44:01 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I don't see how exposing yourself to any interested agencies by posting about illegal stuff without protecting your identity is better than being flagged as someone who uses tor (which has many legitimate uses).

Auxin
#6 Posted : 11/20/2017 5:28:28 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Babylon Bambi wrote:
When i enter my username and password the page refreshes like I've input the wrong password.

After typing the password are you clicking the login button with the mouse, or hitting enter?
Use the mouse.

Babylon Bambi
#7 Posted : 11/20/2017 7:26:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks folks, i use a VPN and the issue exists when i click the Login button or hit Enter on the keyboard.

I have no issues with Firefox, am i sufficiently protected with this browser anyway because i use a VPN?

Appreciate i can search that myself but i'm interested to hear your thoughts.

Northerner
#8 Posted : 11/20/2017 8:02:17 AM

DMT-Nexus member

slewb wrote:
I don't see how exposing yourself to any interested agencies by posting about illegal stuff without protecting your identity is better than being flagged as someone who uses tor (which has many legitimate uses).

When you're not flagged you are part of a sea of people looking and posting about grey area stuff, everything is hearsay, the internet is literally awash with it. When you regularly use tor you are hiding something and regular tor ip's get flagged and put on watch lists. Most legitimate users who want confidentiality will use end to end encryption rather than encrypted networks, with a few exceptions. Computing and security is my field. I'm just trying to explain it as best as I can without repeating myself too many times.

Babylon Bambi wrote:
Thanks folks, i use a VPN and the issue exists when i click the Login button or hit Enter on the keyboard.

I have no issues with Firefox, am i sufficiently protected with this browser anyway because i use a VPN?

Appreciate i can search that myself but i'm interested to hear your thoughts.

For basic internet usage a VPN with any browser will protect your privacy more than enough as it will stop metadata logging (as long as your VPN doesn't log). You only need to use tor if you are exposing yourself to additional risks online.