We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Pandanus spiralis... any experience anyone? Options

Northerner
#1 Posted : 11/17/2017 1:59:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I recently came across a person who has a local friend who talked about the magical properties of certain nuts that have been used traditionally by aboriginals here in Australia. On further investigation I have discovered this plant to be pandanus spiralis and there is old documentation showing it to contain DMT, as well as the traditional use in pacific island areas. I like that traditional aboriginals in Australia were imbibing in DMT brews, it goes a long way to explain traditional Dreamtime stories like the Rainbow Serpent.

Has anyone has done any study on this plant or actually tried it? I have found absolutely 0 reference on the internet about anyone actually performing an extraction on it, just lots of hearsay and referencing of the one study more than 35 years ago..

I'm kind of excited to realise there may be a local source right here and I've been actually growing and planting it for years. Rolling eyes

Would anyone like to make a punt on which part of the nut and what sort of age and conditions would be more likely to contain actives? I have my suspicions but I'm open to others ideas too.
The nearest we ever come to knowing truth is when we are witness to paradox.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Intezam
#2 Posted : 11/20/2017 10:09:09 AM

DMT-Nexus member

maybe its buah merah? This is now a new superfood with (supposed) healing properties sold in Indonesia (imported from Papua).We have seen it bottled (aka marita sauce).Try it with a maoi? Not sure if you can find it. In Yemen they make a perfume called Zahrat al-Kādi from pandanus flowers and that smell is VERY MUCH like DILUTED indole (sort of jasminish). The normal pandan (green leaf extract) is also available, its used to give basmati like scent/flavour to various dishes. Maybe that could also be tried? Sorry no real info here...

WE THINK THIS IS THE COMMON WEEDY SCREWPINE BEACH PANDAN?
As you can see this seems to be hard work, take care of your arm...Razz

Chan
#3 Posted : 11/20/2017 12:12:33 PM

Another Leaf on the Vine

Garden of Eden wrote:
Pandanus spp. are important to many aboriginal groups in northern Australia. The leaves are much used as fibre material for making baskets and many other items. The nuts [after dropping to the ground], the fleshy bases of ripe fruit, and soft inner new leaves are eaten as food. The seeds inside the fruits may be eaten raw or roasted. The base of the leaf of P. spiralis is chewed and swallowed to treat sore throat or mouth pain; it has antiseptic, counter-irritant and anodyne activity. The Ngarinyman recognise two varieties of P. spiralis – one which grows along creek lines, and one which grows on sandy flats. The prop-roots of the former variety are decocted and used to treat scabies. A strained decoction of the leaf bases of the latter variety is used as eye-drops, to relieve sore or tired eyes. At Roper River, the nuts are crushed and left in water to ferment, producing a presumably intoxicating alcoholic drink. The Lardil, of Mornington Island in the Gulf of Carpenteria, have a strict ownership of individual Pandanus trees, which they mark with knotted leaves – ignoring this sign may result in retaliation by sorcery (Aboriginal Communities 1988; Isaacs 1987; Smith et al. 1993).

One researcher bioassayed a sample of roasted Pandanus sp. nuts said to lead to ‘karuke madness’, eating up to 1⁄2 a pound [roughly 230g], which he stated to be more than 10 times the suggested dose. He experienced no effects other than nausea and gastric disturbance, which led him to conclude that the ‘karuke madness’ was psychosomatic and consisted of some kind of socially-conditioned hysteria (Stopp 1964). This should be considered a premature assumption, though not one to be ruled out entirely. It seems more likely to me that a) the nuts may be quite variable in chemical content, and b) any intoxication might require an even larger amount of said nuts than Stopp had eaten. If Stopp [and my translation of his article] was accurate in reporting the suggested dose, this would mean a mere 23g or so of roasted nuts – which seems to be far from the ‘large quantities’ usually reported to be eaten for psychotropic effects. It may be [as has been proposed with Boletus and the accompanying ‘mushroom madness’] that other plants are consumed with the nuts to result in the desired effects, through some chemical interaction similar to that seen with ayahuasca [see Banisteriopsis, Methods of Ingestion].
Unidentified Pandanus sp. nuts from Minj, New Guinea, were shown to contain small amounts of DMT, as well as other unidentified alkaloids (Hyndman 1984).

Sounds like a trip across the Torres Strait might be called for...!

I have the essence that Intezam refers to, and it's very nice in rice.

“I sometimes marvel at how far I’ve come - blissful, even, in the knowledge that I am slowly becoming a well-evolved human being - only to have the illusion shattered by an episode of bad behaviour that contradicts the new and reinforces the old. At these junctures of self-reflection, I ask the question: “are all my years of hard work unraveling before my eyes, or am I just having an episode?” For the sake of personal growth and the pursuit of equanimity, I choose the latter and accept that, on this journey of evolution, I may not encounter just one bad day, but a group of many.”
― B.G. Bowers