We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Alternative remedies for depression? Options

AwesomeUsername
#1 Posted : 10/29/2017 5:52:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have a history of depression already, and even took meds a few years ago. For a long time after that I can say I felt somewhat better, and viewed myself as pretty much healed. During that period I started exploring psychedelics in hope it will further heal me, and while I had nice afterglows something was still not right.

Anyways, enough rambling. I feel it has started creeping back in, and I don't want to feel like that. I want to get well. For now, I'm considering using syrian rue and st. johns wort, I don't know if they can be combined but if they can that'd be great.

I'd generally avoid using more powerfull drugs such as ayahuasca, since it once turned on me and left me worse off. I could handle doing it up to 4 times a week, but these days I don't feel as safe diving back into these waters.

Any suggestions? Worth mentioning, I have a full time job, work out regulary, have ok sleeping and eating habits and abstain from drugs and alcohol with the exception of a 1 cup of coffee in the morning habit.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

obliguhl
#2 Posted : 10/29/2017 6:43:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Raw Cacao Beans Laughing

I don't think combining a mao (syrian rue) with a SSRI (St.Johns wort) is a healthy idea though.

Is your social life well?

There is also a Thread on plant based anti-depressants around but i personally found nothing is more effective than lifestyle change.

As for drugs: Ketamine, Kanna, low dose salvia divinorum, 5-htp

But not every substance works all of the time.

Cognitive Heart
#3 Posted : 10/29/2017 7:54:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Cordycepin may be of interest to you. I have been encapsulating and taking cordyceps militaris for the past 2 weeks and have noticed significant improvements. Thumbs up

Started low(100mg) day by day to where I'm at now(700mg). There seems to be long-lasting enhancements via mental/physical energy, mood and social behavior.

I should also mention that I've felt a very good synergy between raw cacao and cordyceps supplementation. Mostly in terms of a heightened sense of awareness. There might be a slight reduction in sleep quality with this combination(Ime) but doesn't seem to affect me with cordyceps, alone. Instead I wake up feeling refreshed and motivated. In both cases, utilization of Hawaiian kava in the evening has been of great ease for sleeping and wakefulness upon awakening.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26443809
'What's going to happen?' 'Something wonderful.'

Skip the manual, now, where's the master switch?

We are interstellar stardust, the re-dox co-factors of existence. Serve the sacred laws of the universe before your time comes to an end. Oh yes, you shall be rewarded.

DreaMTripper
#4 Posted : 10/29/2017 11:43:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Syrian rue is a good one, I smoked a full spectrum extract and had
great success.

Godsmacker
#5 Posted : 11/11/2017 2:48:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The Best Antidepressant is to constantly change the cage you live in, so as never to succumb to the rot of complacency.
'"ALAS,"said the mouse, "the world is growing smaller every day. At the
beginning it was so big that I was afraid, I kept running and running, and I was glad
when at last I saw walls far away to the right and left, but these long walls have
narrowed so quickly that I am in the last chamber already, and there in the corner
stands the trap that I must run into." "You only need to change your direction," said
the cat, and ate it up.' --Franz Kafka

dragonrider
#6 Posted : 11/11/2017 2:59:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Meditation works. But excercise is the best thing. Anything that requires you to realy get out of the comfort-zone. Pushing the limits. I suppose that something like exposure to cold, like taking a cold shower everyday, would have a simmilar effect. It builds mental resilience.
Ofcourse you should not overexpose yourself to physical or mental suffering, and enjoy the good things in life. But if you train yourself in pushing the limit for just a bit more than you think you can handle, you build mental strength.

null24
#7 Posted : 11/11/2017 3:04:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

In no particular order (my recipe, works sometimes, sometimes fails miserably)
-dialectic behavior therapy
-breath (different exercises :square breathing for panic /anxiety, fast breathing for insomnia, counting for grounding etc)
-1 hour weekly talk therapy
-2 hours weekly volunteer service
-4-6 hours weekly attending various recovery meetings
-social activities (writing groups, meet ups)
-daily walks at least three miles
-daily 30 mins exercise (isometrics)
-diet, no processed foods, eat what i know works for me
-using all coping skills at my disposal
-smoke pot

There's other stuff too, in short, it's a ton of work to get through each day.
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

blue.magic
#8 Posted : 11/12/2017 1:19:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I would add cashew nuts on top of the above. One or two handfuls of cashews significantly improve mood and it lasts for weeks. It has shown this has helped even suicidal patients.

The plant remedies may give you a time window to find roots of your depression and resolve it.

Gowpen
#9 Posted : 11/12/2017 1:54:45 AM

If you don't make mistakes, you are doing it wrong

Consider buying a bicycle.... Read R.D Lang's 'Knots'
regards G
One can never cross the ocean without the Courage to lose sight of the shore

downwardsfromzero
#10 Posted : 11/12/2017 1:56:13 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Quote:
One of my co-workers told me today that someone she knew told her that two handfuls a day of cashews will act on one’s brain chemistry in the very same way that antidepressant medication will
Uh...hu

http://healthyeating.sfg...butter-healthy-5685.html
Quote:
Unlike many other nuts, cashews don't contain omega-3 fatty acids and neither does cashew butter. Omega-3 fatty acids are essential dietary fats

Don't get me wrong, I love cashews too but I'd love to see some solid data about cashew nuts helping suicidal patients.

It's just that searches along these lines aren't turning up anything beyond anecdotal and speculative results excepting plain nutritional data, of course.

Another snippet:
Quote:
If you suffer from headaches and migraines, avoid cashews. These nuts contain the amino acids tyramine and phenyethyamine
Relevant in an ayahuasca/syrian rue context.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Gowpen
#11 Posted : 11/12/2017 1:56:14 AM

If you don't make mistakes, you are doing it wrong

Godsmacker wrote:
The Best Antidepressant is to constantly change the cage you live in, so as never to succumb to the rot of complacency.

Yes, a change of scenery ... Museums, walking, helping others. Whilst remembering that depression is quite normal to a degree.
One can never cross the ocean without the Courage to lose sight of the shore

Tommi
#12 Posted : 11/12/2017 7:35:52 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Love is the best remedy for depression. Green love! Love

Anyways, you may have just said it. Try cup of green tea instead of coffee in the morning. Coffee is actually extremely unhealthy in the morning! One more suggestion, if you need that caffeine boost, add some synthetic caffeine to your green tea.

Considering you do not eat lots of sugar and processed foods, since that causes depression as well. Change sugar to xylitol (birch sugar), cut off processed foods completely. Try these with the stuff you is doing: blackcurrants, tubers, papayas, green cabbage, coconut oil, pomegranate seeds, aloe vera.

Good luck
Remember... 8 is infinity spelled sideways!

Build:Apotechary