We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Collecting psychological data on Syrian Rue and using the Nexus as a data source Options

dotyfish
#1 Posted : 11/3/2017 7:28:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi everyone,

I'm a new-ish member; I have been around for a few years using the forum as a learning tool but have not been an active contributor to discussions (I've never been much of a forum guy). I am currently a PhD student in a transpersonal psychology program that allows me to research consciousness and psychedelics. My primary interests lie plant medicines, particularly in synergies and how different combinations may prove useful for specific purposes, and techniques to optimize the psychedelic experience so that it may be as beneficial as possible. That said, my dissertation will be on ketamine (a friend is an anesthesiologist at a research hospital so I have an in for a double-blind experiment).

Also, forgive me in advance if the following is out of place, but I felt the Collaborative Research Project seemed fitting.

Anyway, what brings me to finally posting is a current project I just got approved for on microdosing Syrian Rue. The forum postings here have been a primary source for experiment rational and I would love to cite some but I'm unsure how folks here feel about that. Generally, I would reference post authors and contributors by username but because of the nature of the topic, I wasn't sure if there is an anonymity policy for research or if the topic has ever been discussed.

On to the study. The study contains 2 participants and will collect EEG and affect data daily (hopefully for a month - due date hasn't been set). EEG will be collected using a Muse headset and affect through the PANAS-X. Test conditions will be counterbalanced and controlled internally by the following:

Weeks 1 & 2: Participant A - Rue, Participant B - No Rue
Weeks 3 & 4: Participant A - No Rue, Participant B - Rue

Using a dose of 10g rue made in to a tea as my bearing for the full psychedelic dose and based on dose recommendations from James Fadiman of 1/20 - 1/10, the dosing considerations are 0.5g and 1g. I would love to hear the community's opinion there. The tea will be reduced (I'm hoping for 0.5g/ml as long as that doesn't reduce it to goo) and that will be added to an herbal tea. For the control participant, rue will be replaced with a non-active bitter herb to help with blinding. Again, help with anything that tastes similar to Rue would be appreciated.

EEG data will likely compare brainwaves during hemisync meditation (in the process of reviewing this with the professor), with data collection for participant A in the morning and B in the evening due to their work schedules. For participant A, this will also show acute effects of the microdose on brainwaves IF it is of observable size. This may also help test a hypothesis that daily intake has a cumulative effect.

PANAS data will be collected at the end of the day for both participants.

There is potential for expanding the participant pool. Participants would need to have access to the Muse or another EEG device and collect data daily. Blinding goes out the window for most participants unless there are multiple people who live together/nearby who would want to participate. All participants would also need to sign informed consent. If people are interested, I can make that happen.

If anyone has any guidance about citing the Nexus or the above research, I would love to hear it. Now that I have the EEG and am learning how to process the data, I hope to be able to begin collecting data on a number of substances and combinations and I can post the findings here (or in another place of CRP is not where they should go). I am also in the process of continuing to formalize a process I call Psychedelic-Informed Experiential Research and am in the process of finding a journal to submit the article to; the journal that published the paper that birthed the research method isn't doing a psychedelics issue anytime soon. I'd love to team up with others on this after I get the ball rolling on publication.

Thanks everyone! I'll try to be more than a fly on the wall from here out.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

null24
#2 Posted : 11/4/2017 2:09:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

Interesting. What are looking for with the rue? In a search for a pharmacological anti depressant, on two occasions I used SR seeds smoked for about a week each time. It seemed to cause a serotonin overload in me that caused a negative emotional reaction, namely rage which is what I experience on SSRI meds. I don't know if that's at all helpful, nor do I have any insight on citing nexus policies, but if so I could search and link the relevant posts.
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

Jees
#3 Posted : 11/4/2017 2:28:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi dotyfish.
Seed potency and brew (efficacy) variation is to be expected, making dosing with 'grams' prone to variations. If you would like to have as less as possible variants, maybe using extract is the ticket?

dreamer042
#4 Posted : 11/5/2017 3:03:43 PM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

Fascinating project! Absolutely feel free to share your EEG results here, I think several members here have experience with processing EEG data and may be able to assist with interpretation.

I'd suggest rethinking your dosage. 10 grams is huge dose of Syrian Rue and much higher than is commonly used. 1 gram is itself a psychoactive dose, falling outside the realm of a (sub-perceptual) microdose, and an average dose falls right around the 3-4 grams mark. I'll echo Jees here on suggesting that a standardized extract would provide more consistent results. 250-300 mg is a good benchmark for a common dosage, giving you a 25-30 mg microdose range consistent with Fadimans "tenner" recommendation. It will also be much easier to placebo a capsule of powder than a strong plant akaloid flavored tea without introducing other psychoactives that would skew the results.

Citing usernames and DMT Nexus directly is perfectly fine and some publications have taken that route. Other publications have cited users of an anonymous online forum. Either way is fine by us.

Thanks for sharing your project with us and please do keep us posted on how it goes. Thumbs up
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca

exquisitus
#5 Posted : 11/6/2017 1:26:22 AM
DMT-Nexus member

cool.
even before i got my muse and i was a very very early adopter, i suggested something very similar on a friendly forum... nobody paid any attention back then.
i don't really remember where i stashed my muse, as i have not used it for years after initial evaluation proved it just a useless toy, but i also expect another toy in december from poland, perhaps better, perhas not, at least the amount of bullshit attached is far less compared to the case of muse... just out of curiosity, if i want to participate what do i do?

dotyfish
#6 Posted : 11/6/2017 7:48:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the replies everyone.

In terms of dosing, I was basing the plan on 1/20 of what has produced clear psychedelic effects for me, which was a tea made from 10g. My next lowest dose has been 7.5g reduced to goo and, while I experienced MAOI effects, I can't say it was inherently psychedelic on its own; I understand goo and liquid have remarkably different absorption rates, so that could be part of the issue. It looks like I need to do some testing this week and dial that in.

In terms of an extract, there are a couple issues, namely school involvement and time to extract (I'm extremely low on free time and if I remember correctly I feel like my last harmala extract seemed to take forever). In terms of school, my professor ran this by the Dean of Students, Dean of Faculty, VP of Academic Affairs, and my program chair for approval and approval came with several stipulations, including dose and ingestion method. Teas/decoctions are one of the traditional methods of ingesting Syrian Rue and the doses proposed for this study are well within range of traditional remedies. They shot down a full psychedelic dose for comparing EEG signal amplitudes with microdoses and basically said I can't do anything outside of the microdosing protocol until after the course is over, and at that time it has to be removed from association with the school. However, I think extract would be a great way to go after this "pilot."

An email this morning altered the design quite a bit. After initially making the suggestion, my professor reconsidered due to the potential for a cumulative effect, so it's now "open label," which also eliminates having to find another bitter herb for the control tea. He said the binaural beats added too much to the study (and honestly, they may overpower any EEG readings from the rue). They also restricted my participant pool to me and my partner, and only to her because I'll be able to monitor for any potential adverse reactions at all times other than when we're at work. Apparently it's a tricky situation, especially without going through the formal IRB process.

So sorry exquisitus and anyone else who may be interested for being a research tease. BUT that doesn't mean data can't be collected and analyzed outside of the confines of my course. I just turned in a new revision of the proposal and it may have one more revision later this week. After that, I'll know the protocol and I'll post that along with the psychometrics. And of course, I'll post my findings. From there, people who want to participate can collect data and we can pool it for analysis.

Jees
#7 Posted : 11/6/2017 11:15:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

dotyfish wrote:
... Teas/decoctions are one of the traditional methods of ingesting Syrian Rue and the doses proposed for this study are well within range of traditional remedies...

That is a valuable argument to choose seeds-grams.

Yet the first part of your post illustrates that this 'traditional' has some issues: if you need to have 10 grams as a clear psychedelic threshold measure, it says something about brewing method. At 10 grams we're talking about potentially 500 to 600 mg of harmalas, I suppose you did not have that amount in your body, it is all in the brewing efficacy. Seed potency is not a dramatic variable and goo or liquid doesn't matter really because when the harmalas are there, they are there. Only brewing method makes the difference how much will be there. People do usually 3 to 4 gr rue well brewed for a firm maoi and adjacent harmala effects.

I think you need a brewing-standard for yourself and stick to it so that you wont have strong variables on that matter. Allow me to suggest the simplest of all: a cold soak of powdered/ground seeds, in the fridge. Make pH 3 water with phosphoric acid, add the powder, shake now and then. The water will only be slightly colored but gets majority of alkaloids no problemo. Settle/decant and your set, a very clear tea compared to boiled and for powder there is no need to boil. Make it a 2 days soak, but not a week or so because you gonna have mold by then. Just saying..

Hope something nice comes of your initiative Thumbs up

dotyfish
#8 Posted : 12/16/2017 6:47:13 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks Jees! I think a brewing-standard is a great idea and I appreciate you sharing the cold soak method. I'll give that a try for my next round. A goal would be to make the procedure easily replicable for anyone who wants to give it a try. I also think the best way to do accurate research and to ensure participants will dose is with an extract. I'd like to try that route myself whenever I have time to preform an extraction.

Study update (note this is a little detailed. Double tasking by using this text for part of my write up)

Dose: As others pointed out, my dosing may be a bit high and admitted the 10g experience it is based on was one of the strongest and most profound psychedelic experiences I have ever had. Brewing, overheating during the reduction, and digestion speed all could have played a result in not seeing effects from the "goo" I made from 7.5g. My interpretation of Faidman's protocol is that the suggested microdose is 1/20 - 1/20 of whatever one would call a full dose, with the main caveat being that the microdose does not produce discernible perceptual effects. After the forum comments, I was a little hesitant with my 0.5g equivalent but dose-testing turned out fine (no perceived effects) so I proceeded.
Because of hesitation due to my warning email, I brewed with simple distilled water, simmering for 6 hours, allowing it to sit for 40 hours, and simmered again for 2 hours. This was filtered, reduced to approximately 100ml, and filtered again. Distilled water was added to bring the volume back to 200ml, creating a concentration of approximately 1g/10ml. An oral syringe was used to measure 5ml doses.

Study participants: Shortly after data collection began, my partner dropped out of the study because of time commitments, leaving me as the sole participant. N=1 is definitely not ideal but it is a better starting point than 0.

Data collection:
EEG data was collected one hour after the ingestion of SR. I was shooting for 10 minutes of a relaxed state and decided listening to music was the best way for me to achieve that aside from meditation. I chose two pieces of music, Shpongle's "How the Jellyfish Jumped Up the Mountain" and "Ineffable Mysteries" because of their identical length, 10 minutes, 24 seconds.
Survey data was collected at the end of each day. A self-created 5-item burnout scale and the 60-item PANAS-X were used. PANAS-X has 13 subscales that are being used for analysis.

Data analysis:
EEG data are being analyzed through EEGLab and survey data through Statistica. I just got the preliminary between-subject results (control vs microdose) for both data sets and I'm seeing significant values of p < 0.05 from all 4 EEG electrodes throughout the frequency range and for 10/13 PANAS-X subscales. The survey data was clear enough to see trends without analysis. I'm not positive how the within-subject data (day to day; is there a cumulative effect) will look; I gave up on relearning SPSS and in the process of learning Statistica (it's much more user-friendly) so I'll have those numbers whenever I figure things out. I also plan on running analyses on the EEG and survey data to see if there is any correlation in EEG output and survey responses.

Limitations:
The big ones are N = 1 and dosing. Regardless of brewing technique, without an extract accuracy is iffy. Dosing times were not the same; while it was taken immediately upon waking, that varied from day to day. There is also a slight reduction in some measures of negative affect during the control phase. Data collection began right after midterms so the reduction could be due to reduced stress or from taking time out to relax every day. I'm also new to EEG use and EEG data processing so the raw and cleaned data may not be the best quality.

Further research:
I would definitely like to give this a try with extracts and with a larger number of people. I think with and without EEG, this holds promise. The absence of EEG data actually may improve initial study design because of the dramatic expansion of the potential participant pool.

Thanks to everyone who has commented, read, or even clicked on this thread. I'll have the analyses and paper ready by the end of next week and should have feedback within 2 weeks. I'll post my results after I receive my feedback.

dotyfish
#9 Posted : 1/2/2018 6:02:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Below is the unformatted paper. I'll attach a pdf with the figures and tables.

Microdosing Peganum harmala

Abstract—Peganum harmala has been used for thousands of years in traditional medicine and religious rites. Recent phytopharmaceutical research has given credence to its traditional uses, demonstrating a wide range of potential therapeutic uses, including its use as antidepressant and anxiolytic agent. Entheogenic at high doses, P. harmala can create profound psychedelic experiences with lasting positive effects that echo those seen in research on other psychedelics. Anecdotal evidence from online forums suggests P. harmala may be able to provide results similar to microdosing other psychedelics, though no research exists on this potential. This paper presents the first evidence of P. harmala’s effects when used in a daily microdosing protocol.
Keywords—Peganum harmala, Syrian rue, microdose, EEG, psychedelic, entheogen, affect, burnout, extraction
I. INTRODUCTION (HEADING 1)
Peganum harmala, commonly known as Syrian rue, has a long history of use as a folk medicine [1], with over 30 uses in traditional medicine [2]. Current research has demonstrated antibacterial [3], antiviral [4], antifungal [5], and anticancer [6] effects. Research suggests its primary phytochemical constituents, a group of 5 β-carboline alkaloids collectively known as the harmala alkaloids, may produce antidepressant effects through their action as reversible inhibitors of monoamine oxidase (RIMA) and ability to increase brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) [7]. The harmala alkaloids are also present in the ayahuasca vine, Banisteriopsis caapi, used in the South American medicinal brew Ayahuasca, where the harmalas aid in the activation of dimethyltryptamine found in other plants [8]. Some scholars believe Syrian rue’s uses extended beyond traditional medicine and was combined with acacia trees to create a sort of Ayahuasca analogue used for religious purposes [9].
Today, while traditional uses for P. harmala continue, modern use in research and entheogenic applications use a variety of extracts, from simple aqueous extracts to the use of various solvents [10]. Outside of pharmacological research and traditional medicine, P. harmala’s use is primarily as a substitute for B. caapi in analogs of Ayahuasca [11]. Anecdotal evidence from experience reports retrieved from a search of the www.dmt-nexus.me forum suggests that small, sub-perceptual doses of Syrian rue, also known as a microdose [12], consumed as a tea or extract, can have positive effects on depression and anxiety.
Peganum harmala, along with all harmala alkaloid containing plants are unscheduled, legal, and readily available in the United States and one, Passiflora incarnata (passion flower), is commonly sold as a mood support supplement. Recent research suggests microdosing other substances such as psilocybin and LSD can result in effects such as elevated mood and decreased anxiety, along with increases factors associated with wellbeing [13]. If shown to be effective, P. harmala and other harmala-containing plants may provide legal microdosing alternatives. This project aims to discover if P. harmala as an effect on affective states and emotional wellbeing.
The aim of present study was to address the action of microdoses of P. harmala extract on affect and wellbeing. A secondary aim of this study is to identify potential neurological activity, as assessed by encephalography (EEG). Because of its use as an Ayahuasca analog, potential EEG results will be compared with existing literature on Ayahuasca’s effects on EEG activity [14, 15].
II. METHODS
A. Participants
Study constraints, such as potential adverse effects and accessibility to EEG hardware limited the study to two participants, the researcher and one other participant. Due to time constraints, the other participant elected to discontinue participation and dropped out on study day 3. The researcher is a 34-year old male, graduate educated, with a history of depression, anxiety, and PTSD. The participant remained abstinent from other psychoactive compounds, with the exception of caffeine, for the duration of the control and experimental phases.
B. Drug
P. harmala seeds were obtained from https://www.shamansgarden.com/. An aqueous extract was prepared by simmering 20g P. harmala seeds in distilled water for 6 hours, allowing it to sit for 40 hours, and simmering again for 2 hours. The resultant liquid was strained and filtered, reduced to approximately 100ml, and filtered again. Distilled water was added to bring the volume to 200ml, creating a concentration of approximately 1g/10ml. This concentration provides an equivalent dose of 0.5g/5ml, approximately 1/10 the reported MAOI dose and 1/28 the mean of the range reported for psychoactive effects described by Ott and Shulgin [16], failing into the suggested range of a microdose [12]. The extract was stored in the refrigerator and mixed well before measuring daily doses.
C. Study design and procedure
Identify applicable funding agency here. If none, delete this text box.
The study consisted of 18 consecutive days of data collection, the first 6 being control days and the remaining 12 as microdose days. On all 18 days, approximately 10 minutes of EEG resting state data was collected. EEG data collection occurred one hour after waking. The participant was instructed to recline on a couch and relax while listening to a piece of music, alternating between Shpongle's "How the Jellyfish Jumped Up the Mountain" [17] and "Ineffable Mysteries” [18]. Two pieces were chosen to provide variety and these were used because of their identical length, 10 minutes 24 seconds, and similar tempo. Survey data was collected via online form nightly before bed for all 18 study days.
Beginning on day 7 and continuing daily for the remainder of the study, doses of 0.5g/5ml P. harmala extract were administered immediately upon awakening. Extract was removed from refrigeration, mixed well, measured with an oral syringe, and consumed directly via injection into the back of the mouth.
D. Measuresments
EEG data was collected using Muse headset, recording through 4 electrodes in locations a_TP10, TP9, AF7, and Af8, and recorded with the MuseMonitor app. Data collection occurred approximately +60 min from drug administration. Data was imported into EEGLAB, channel means were removed and data was filtered through the Basic FIR filter to a range of 1 – 50 Hz. Artifacts were processed visually. Statistical analysis of EEG recordings was performed using EEGLAB’s STUDY function An alpha level of 5%, was used and all P values lower than 0.05 are clearly distinguished in spectral plots. Power spectra for all channels were analyzed for significance.
After preliminary analyses showed remaining artifacts, datasets underwent further visual processing. Following a second analysis of power spectra, datasets from sessions 1, 2, and 3 were rejected due to large amounts of noise, presumably from a poorly fitting headset.
The study participant completed an online questionnaire nightly via the Google Forms platform (www.google.com/forms) and took approximately 3 minutes to complete. The questionnaire consisted of 5 items addressing burnout and The Positive and Negative Affect Schedule (PANAS-X), a 60-item survey [19]. The PANAS-X contains 13 subscales: Negative Affect, Positive Affect, Fear, Hostility, Guilt, Sadness, Joviality, Self-Assurance, Attentiveness, Shyness, Fatigue, Serenity, and Surprise. Survey data was analyzed in Statistica using multivariate analysis of variance (MANOVA) with repeated measures, with treatment groups (control, microdose) as factors, and linear regression. Differences were considered statistically significant for P<0.05.
III. RESULTS
A. EEG Recordings
Between-session analyses shows significant differences in control and microdose EEG recordings on the between 42-44 Hz on the TP9 channel (Fig. 1) and at 11 Hz on the AF7 channel (Fig. 2).
B. Subjective ratings
With the exception of three PANAS-X subscales, Positive Affect, Attentiveness, and Surprise, and two burnout items, physical exhaustion and somatic distress, all between-group differences (Table 1) were significant, with the greatest effect seen as reductions in Negative Affect and Hostility. Within-group analyses (Table 2) and linear regression (Fig. 3, Table 2) show and show significant changes over the course of the study. No significant differences were found when preforming an ANOVA with repeated measures using music choice as a factor.
IV. DISCUSSION
Results indicate that daily administration of subperceptual doses of P. harmala produce significant changes in affect and neurological activity. While a significant difference was not present between the control and microdose groups in the Positive Affect subscale, significant reductions in negative emotion subscales and increases in positive emotion subscales lend validity to the overall subjective experience of an overall better mood and reduction in symptoms of stress and anxiety. This supports animal research showing that harmala alkaloids exhibit antidepressant-like effects [7] and is in step with preliminary analyses of an ongoing, large-scale microdosing study [13].
EEG research on the effects of full doses of Ayahuasca, also rich in harmala alkaloids, is limited and it is likely that the presence of DMT in Ayahuasca has an effect on EEG results. However, the presence of harmala alkaloids allows for some comparison. Early research showed significance increases in power in the 32-44 Hz frequency band, as well as nonsignificant increase in beta band and decreases in both alpha and theta bands [14]. While the gamma band was not investigated in subsequent research, showed significant effects across all frequency bands, although the researchers did not find significance at the alpha-2 sub-band (10.5-13 Hz) [15].
Interestingly, the present study found significant effects between 11-12 Hz, a novel finding in regards to Ayahuasca research, while also serving to confirm previous findings relating to gamma band activity [14].
The results of the survey data, indicating a cumulative effect across a number of affective qualities, match the participant’s qualitative reflection on the experience. While subjectivity suggested an improvement in positive affect, this is not indicated by the results. The subjective perception of improved positive affect may in part be due to a reduction in negative affect and other negatively valenced measures. Additionally, the participant experienced fewer intrusive thoughts related to PTSD. The overall qualitative impression is that while stressors were still present and in awareness, there was a sense of not feeling as bothered by stressors.
This study has several limitations. As a single-participant study, control for confounding variables is lacking and it is impossible to rule out other potential factors contributing to the effect. One such confounding variable may be the simple act of relaxing for 10 minutes per day. The extraction technique also presents limitations. Like all plants, variance in phytochemical concentration is expected and without a refined extraction of alkaloids, exact dosing is impossible. As an aqueous extract, brewing time, temperature, and source material all play a role in the variability of alkaloid content. Finally, this researcher was previously inexperienced with EEG data collection and processing. Inexperience in fitting the EEG hardware may be a factor in only finding significant differences in left-hemisphere channels. An additional consideration that may be a limitation is questionnaire design; by positioning burnout questions before the PANAS-X, there could be a priming effect.
Further research is necessary to establish significant results that are able to be generalized to the population at large. By using a larger sample size and standardized extracts, statistical power and inference of results would be of greater significance. Accessibility of P. harmala, its low price (approximately $0.03 per 0.5g dose) and ease of extraction create an opportunity for much larger participant pools, although collecting EEG data still creates constraints. A large-scale survey study combined with a smaller scale EEG study could yield significant results that verify P. harmala’s efficacy for microdosing.
The next step in this line of inquiry is to perform a small-scale pilot study to expand the data pool in a similar way to other microdosing studies, with participants self-reporting data. This phase could focus on survey data, making EEG data collection optional or excluded from the phase. Following this the abovementioned large-scale studies could proceed.
This study helps to confirm reports of P. harmala’s effects on decreasing negative affect when used in a daily microdosing protocol, providing evidence that it may prove to be a low cost, legal alternative for other psychedelic medicines.

REFERENCES

[1] M. A. Aziz, A. H. Khan, M. Adnan and I. Izatullah, “Traditional uses of medicinal plants reported by the indigenous communities and local herbal practitioners of Bajaur Agency, Federally Administrated Tribal Areas, Pakistan,” J. Ethnopharmacol. vol. 198, pp. 268-281, Feb. 2017, doi:https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2017.01.024, [Online]. Available: http://www.sciencedirect...8874117301976?via%3Dihub
[2] M. C. Niroumand, M. H. Farzaei, G. Amin, “Medicinal properties of Peganum harmala L. in traditional Iranian medicine and modern phytotherapy: a review,” J. Tradit. Chin. Med., vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 104-109, Feb. 2015, doi:https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0254-6272(15)30016-9, [Online]. Available: https://www.sciencedirec...le/pii/S0254627215300169
[3] F. Bibi, “Diversity of antagonistic bacteria isolated from medicinal plant Peganum harmala L.,” Saudi J. of Bio. Sci., vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 1288-1293, Sept. 2017, doi:https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.sjbs.2015.09.021, [Online]. Available: http://www.sciencedirect...9562X15002168?via%3Dihub
[4] M. Moradi, A. Karimi, M. Rafieian-Kopaei, and F. Fotouhi, “In vitro antiviral effects of peganum harmala seed extract and its total alkaloids against influenza virus,” Microbial Pathogenesis, vol. 110, pp. 42-49, June 2017, doi:https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.micpath.2017.06.014, [Online]. Available: http://www.sciencedirect...2401017305843?via%3Dihub
[5] S. Soliman, D. Alnajdy, A. El-Keblawy, K. Mosa, G. Khoder, and A. Noreddin, “Plants' natural products as alternative promising anti-candida drugs,” Phcog Rev., vol. 11, no. 22, Sept. 2017, doi:https://dx.doi.org/10.4103/phrev.phrev_8_17, [Online]. Available: http://digitalcommons.ch...u/pharmacy_articles/498/
[6] C. Li, Y. Wang, C. Wang, X. Yi, M. Li and X. He, "Anticancer activities of harmine by inducing a pro-death autophagy and apoptosis in human gastric cancer cells", Phytomedicine, vol. 28, pp. 10-18, 2017, doi:https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.phymed.2017.02.008, [Online]. Available: http://www.sciencedirect...4711317300399?via%3Dihub
[7] J. Fortunato, G. Réus, T. Kirsch, R. Stringari, G. Fries, F. Kapczinski, J. Hallak, A. Zuardi, J. Crippa and J. Quevedo, "Chronic administration of harmine elicits antidepressant-like effects and increases BDNF levels in rat hippocampus", J. Neural. Transm., vol. 117, no. 10, pp. 1131-1137, 2010, doi:https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00702-010-0451-2, [Online]. Available: https://link.springer.co...s00702-010-0451-2#citeas
[8] D. McKenna, G. Towers and F. Abbott, "Monoamine oxidase inhibitors in South American hallucinogenic plants: Tryptamine and β-carboline constituents of Ayahuasca", J. Ethnopharmacol., vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 195-223, April 1984, doi:https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0378-8741(84)90003-5, [Online]. Available: https://www.sciencedirec...cle/pii/0378874184900035
[9] B. Shanon, "Biblical entheogens: A speculative hypothesis", Time and Mind, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 51-74, 2008, doi:https://dx.doi.org/10.2752/175169608783489116, [Online]. Available: http://www.tandfonline.c....2752/175169608783489116
[10] A. Shulgin and A. Shulgin, “Harmaline,” Tihkal: The continuation. Berkeley: Transform Press, 1997, [Online]. Available: https://erowid.org/libra...ne/tihkal/tihkal13.shtml
[11] H. Sayin, "The consumption of psychoactive plants in ancient global and Anatolian cultures during religious rituals: The roots of the eruption of mythological figures and common symbols in religions and myths", NeuroQuantology, vol. 12, no. 2, 2014, doi:https://dx.doi.org/10.14704/nq.2014.12.2.753, [Online]. Available: https://www.neuroquantol...journal/article/view/753
[12] J. Fadiman, The psychedelic explorer's guide. Rochester, Vt.: Park Street Press, 2011.
[13] J. Fadiman, and S. Korb, “Microdosing: The phenomenon, research results, and startling surprises,” Psychedelic Science 2017 conference, April 21, 2017, [Online]. Available: http://psychedelicscienc...-and-startling-surprises
[14] N. Don, B. McDonough, G. Moura, C. Warren, K. Kawanishi, H. Tomita, Y. Tachibana, M. Böhlke and N. Farnsworth, "Effects of Ayahuasca on the human EEG", Phytomedicine, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 87-96, April 1998, doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/S0944-7113(9Cool80003-2, [Online]. Available: https://www.sciencedirec...le/pii/S0944711398800032
[15] J. Riba, P. Anderer, A. Morte, G. Urbano, F. Jané, B. Saletu and M. Barbanoj, "Topographic pharmaco-EEG mapping of the effects of the South American psychoactive beverage ayahuasca in healthy volunteers", Br. J. of Clin. Pharmacol., vol. 53, no. 6, pp. 613-628, June 2002, doi:https://dx.doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2125.2002.01609.x, [Online]. Available: https://www.iceers.org/d...armaco-EEG_Ayahuasca.pdf
[16] "Erowid Vault: Dosage", Erowid.org, 2017. [Online]. Available: https://erowid.org/plant...ue/syrian_rue_dose.shtml
[17] S. Posford and R. Rothfield as Shpongle, “How the jellyfish jumped up the mountain,” Museum of Consciousness [CD], London, England: Twisted Records, 2013.
[18] S. Posford and R. Rothfield as Shpongle, “Ineffable mysteries,” Ineffable mysteries from Shpongleland [CD], London, England: Twisted Records, 2009.
[19] D. Watson and L. A. Clark, The PANAS-X: Manual for the Positive and Negative Affect Schedule – Expanded Form, The University of Iowa, 1994, [Online]. Available: http://www2.psychology.u...aculty/Clark/PANAS-X.pdf

dreamer042
#10 Posted : 1/2/2018 11:10:10 PM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

Nice work! Thumbs up

I do have a couple little nitpicky proofreading critiques.

First, this section doesn't read clearly to me. An extra or missing word perhaps?
Quote:
While the gamma band was not investigated in subsequent research, showed significant effects across all frequency bands, although the researchers did not find significance at the alpha-2 sub-band (10.5-13 Hz) [15].

Second, I'd recommend adding page numbers for the book references.

Other than those minor issues it looks suitable for publication to me. Thanks for your research and thanks for sharing. Smile
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca

exquisitus
#11 Posted : 1/3/2018 3:53:45 AM
DMT-Nexus member

thanx for sharing.

dotyfish
#12 Posted : 3/29/2018 7:17:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks exquisitus!

Hi dreamer042! Thanks for the proofread. Re: the following:

dreamer042 wrote:
Nice work! Thumbs up

I do have a couple little nitpicky proofreading critiques.

First, this section doesn't read clearly to me. An extra or missing word perhaps?
Quote:
While the gamma band was not investigated in subsequent research, showed significant effects across all frequency bands, although the researchers did not find significance at the alpha-2 sub-band (10.5-13 Hz) [15].

Second, I'd recommend adding page numbers for the book references.

Other than those minor issues it looks suitable for publication to me. Thanks for your research and thanks for sharing. Smile

You're right about a missing word there; it reads awkwardly as well. The reference style I used was IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers), which seems to want authors to cram as much as possible a small space; it was my first IEEE paper and I didn't really like it. it makes sense but it's not what I'm used to. As a psychologist, everything I do is usually APA, where we only reference page numbers for direct quotes or article/chapter page ranges in the references sections (which I failed to do for the Fadiman book). That said, the practice makes it difficult for other researchers/readers to quickly identify information and because of that, I'm not the biggest fan of omitting page numbers, but

Drs. Jim Fadiman and Stanley Krippner have advocated for publishing it as an exploratory case study. I've been waiting for a break in my dissertation proposal action to do so because I'll have to reformat. When I do, I'll definitely address the awkward phrasing/missing word(s).

I'm thinking the Journal of Ethnopharmacology would be a good place to publish but if anyone has a suggestion, I'm very open to it. It'll probably be another 3 months before I have the opportunity to get it ready for publication.

In the event that I am unable to do my proposed dissertation research (I have to jump through hoops for 2 universities, a major hospital, and finding substantial funding), I'll most likely expand on this project. Otherwise, the expansion will be my first post-doc project and I'll be sure to enlist the help of the Nexus community.

Thanks again to everyone who commented, offered suggestions, or just read it for pleasure/information!

Loveall
#13 Posted : 4/1/2018 6:53:38 PM

❤️‍🔥

Chemical expertSenior Member

Engage moar psychedelic tek research
💚🌵💚 Mescaline CIELO TEK 💚🌵💚
💚🌳💚DMT salt e-juice HIELO TEK💚🌳💚
💚🍃💚 Salvinorin Chilled Acetone with IPA and Naphtha re-X TEK💚🍃💚