We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12
Purification of Mescaline HCl Options

An1cca
#21 Posted : 11/3/2017 5:34:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Sounds great Endlessness. I already liked the method for precipitating spice-fumarate. Let it snow, let it snow...Big grin I will certainly give it a try while processing the following batch (that grows ever so slow Razz ).

Thanks again Biawak and Endlessness!

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Elrik
#22 Posted : 11/3/2017 9:36:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

In regards to post #1, I noticed that only the IPA was specified as cold. Was the acetone washing done at room temperature?

As a side note, after manually stirring the alkaloid with anhydrous acetone for a minute and only seeing it pick up a little color I dropped in a magnetic stir bar, covered the beaker with aluminum foil, and vigorously stirred it for 30 minutes. Boy was that more effective Laughing

An1cca
#23 Posted : 11/4/2017 6:39:29 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Elrik wrote:

As a side note, after manually stirring the alkaloid with anhydrous acetone for a minute and only seeing it pick up a little color I dropped in a magnetic stir bar, covered the beaker with aluminum foil, and vigorously stirred it for 30 minutes. Boy was that more effective Laughing

True, I use mortar and pestle for this and only a minimal amount of acetone. Then I remove the solvent by sucking it up with a syringe through a small compressed cotton ball. After a second time, recrystallization solvent is added and the small cotton ball is squeezed dry.

After evaporation, the washing liquid dries to a black oil/tar. I can not imagine this stuff containing any appreciable amount of M. However, a clean run with 99% M-SO4 gave a loss of about 10% after three such washings Sad. Bad technique? Existent solubility?

DrSeltsam
#24 Posted : 11/5/2017 12:39:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Elrik wrote:
In regards to post #1, I noticed that only the IPA was specified as cold. Was the acetone washing done at room temperature?

Ad. acetone temperature: I used acetone at room temperature as the solubility of Mescaline HCl in acetone is so low. I think the most important factor is to make sure that the extract and the solvents are dry. Even at higher temperatures mescaline HCl will not go into solution with acetone - I tried recrystallizing from it and didn't manage.

The magnetic stirrer is a cool idea. I like that! Sadly I don't have one but if I were to have one, I would follow your advice.

An1cca wrote:

After evaporation, the washing liquid dries to a black oil/tar. I can not imagine this stuff containing any appreciable amount of M.

Hard to say. I would guess that it could contain up to 50% M. The impurities just need to be enough from preventing crystallisation. Btw. do we have any idea what this amber/black stuff is?

PREV12