We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
DMT acetate crystalizing on side of jar?? Options

potato
#1 Posted : 10/27/2017 12:00:23 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I left this jar of acacia acidic soup to sit for about 40 days. I looked at it today and it appears that something is crystallizing on the side of the jar, above the liquid. The jar sat upright and at no time was tilted.

What are these crystals? I know that water and acetic acid vapors are present in the jar and are constantly condensing on the glass, but I can't imaging what kind vapor would produce these crystals.

Unfortunately, the jar also seems to have been sealed shut. In my efforts to open it, the crystals were dissolved. I'm curious if anyone has seen this before or has an idea as to the identity of the crystals.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Ulim
#2 Posted : 10/27/2017 12:04:11 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Looks more like fibers of the base soup to me.
Could be any acetate salt. Prolly more something like Calciumactetate depending on the water you use.

potato
#3 Posted : 10/27/2017 7:14:42 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for your input! I suppose my title was rather sensationalist. The deposits could be anything.

This was an acidic soup. I'm still curious about which compounds could vaporize, condense, and solidify in this manner. I would expect that any salts would be highly soluble in the acidic soup, making vaporization highly unflavorable.

If the compound had to vaporize first, is it really plausible that the deposits are a salt? I would not expect a salt to enter the gas phase under the conditions in the jar.

Ulim
#4 Posted : 10/27/2017 8:45:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Its more that the acetate grows out of the soltion.