We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Reducing naphtha by distillation Options

Rick Sanchez
#1 Posted : 10/20/2017 1:12:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

This is my first post as a full member so thanks to whoever did that. I can only hope that the spice gods have blessed you recently Big grin Its nice to not have to post this in the welcome area lol . Anyways, pre-evaporating your saturated solvent before freeze precipitation is a process which I've found to be near essential if you want to get all the product out. Instead of just setting a dish in front of a fan in front of a window and trying to keep the cat out of that room all day, I wondered if I couldn't just use a small distillation apparatus like this https://m.ebay.com/itm/1...8.l4275&_mwBanner=1. The idea would be to pull a vacuum strong enough that the naphtha would evaporate at a low enough BP to not damage any of the spice. Ideally, this would leave a highly saturated solution in the heated flask while the receiving flask would be full of clean naphtha. If someone smarter than me can tell me why this won't work, please go ahead; it's the whole point I'm posting this instead of just going out and buying the glass.
Rick Sanchez is a fictional character. Anything said by Rick Sanchez is not representative of any real life events whatsoever.All posts should be regarded as fictional occurrences in imaginary dimensions.

Everything exists some of the time but nothing exists all the time.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

pitubo
#2 Posted : 10/20/2017 4:04:23 PM

dysfunctional word machine

Congratulations on your promotion! Cool

Distillation works, but try to use it preferrably with lower boiling naphthas. When the distillation temperature rises above 140 degrees celcius, noticeable amounts of dmt freebase start to co-distill. Perhaps using a distillation column could keep most of the dmt from distilling over.

Once, when distilling several batches worth of spent naphtha for reuse, I got hit by a cloud of dmt vapor when opening the distillation apparatus to top up the still pot with more naphtha. As I got a good whiff of the vapors, fractals broke out everywhere. It sure made all that shiny glassware suddenly look eerily beautiful.

I am not sure how much dmt will co-distill at lower temperatures in a vacuum distillation. In any case, when only distilling spent naphtha to clean it up for reuse, getting some dmt contamination into the "fresh" naphtha would not be a big problem.

Rick Sanchez
#3 Posted : 10/21/2017 5:08:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the reply! I think I might try a longer distillation with as low as possible of a temperature with a distillation column in place. Do you ever pre evaporate some of your solvent before freeze precipitating the product?
Rick Sanchez is a fictional character. Anything said by Rick Sanchez is not representative of any real life events whatsoever.All posts should be regarded as fictional occurrences in imaginary dimensions.

Everything exists some of the time but nothing exists all the time.

some one
#4 Posted : 1/11/2018 12:05:52 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Congratulation!

If DMT's melting point is 60-80°C @ vacuum, if naphtha is below that, in theory you could use a vacuum pump to boil naphtha at room temp without the DMT evaporating?

Have you tried freezing the naphtha longer? A day extra, or two? Additional time to precipitate everything out..
some = one | here = some | there = one

downwardsfromzero
#5 Posted : 1/11/2018 6:27:02 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

It's not the melting point that counts per se, but the vapour pressure. If solid DMT is put into a vacuum at a temperature where its vapour pressure is greater than (or even close to) the pressure in the vacuum line it will sublime and disappear down your vacuum line. Make sure you use a freezing trap Wink

Sublimation is a nice way to purify solids, if you have the apparatus.

Pitubo's warning about DMT co-distilling with higher-boiling naphtha is entirely valid.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli