We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV1234NEXT
Mushrooms / Psilocin and Psilocybin Workthread Options

DeMenTed
#41 Posted : 6/12/2013 11:14:34 PM

Barry

Holy moly Orion that looks terrific! What exaactly is it? Psilocybin?

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

The Day Tripper
#42 Posted : 6/13/2013 12:32:28 AM

Rennasauce Man

Location: A Pale Blue Dot orbiting a GV2 Yellow Dwarf fusion powered Luminous Ball of Plasma at 30km/s
If only you could base psilocybin, get it into that acetone, and fasa the psilocybin out. Obviously that would give you psilocin only.

Any way to go from psilocin -> psilocybin (phosphorylation) relatively easily? Could be as simple as a properly done acid or base catalyzed dephosphorylation into psilocin base (basifying later if you did an acid catalyzed dephosphorylation), acetone extraction of the base from the dried lime & crude wax/resin extract, then fasa to psilocin fumarate.

Then if your after pure psilocybin, find a way to phosphorylate it, if that's possible outside of trained chemistry procedures.

Orion, or anyone with the mycellium to work with them, i'd be interested in the results of a 69ron dry limetek, or possibly dry sodium carbonate tek, dry it fully and pull with acetone. Add fasa, and see what precipitates.

It won't give you psilocybin, but if it works like it did for me with basing 4-aco-dmt fumarate in the same manner, you should end up with psilocin fumarate precipitates. Very, very, active precipitates Shocked.

But dry it fast with mgso4 or naso4, or both. I only based my aco goo for ~30m, and had it bone dry without heat at the 1hr mark. 1hr later, the acetone pulling/fasa'ing was done. and precipitates were present. The faster you do this, the less you lose to degradation. Psilocin base is very fragile, psilocin in general is fragile, psilocin base in hydrated basified conditions is very, very fragile. You'll know what i mean when you see the bluing after hydration and basification.
"let those who have talked to the elves, find each other and band together" -TMK

In a society in which nearly everybody is dominated by somebody else's mind or by a disembodied mind, it becomes increasingly difficult to learn the truth about the activities of governments and corporations, about the quality or value of products, or about the health of one's own place and economy.
In such a society, also, our private economies will depend less upon the private ownership of real, usable property, and more upon property that is institutional and abstract, beyond individual control, such as money, insurance policies, certificates of deposit, stocks, etc. And as our private economies become more abstract, the mutual, free helps and pleasures of family and community life will be supplanted by a kind of displaced citizenship and by commerce with impersonal and self-interested suppliers...
The great enemy of freedom is the alignment of political power with wealth. This alignment destroys the commonwealth - that is, the natural wealth of localities and the local economies of household, neighborhood, and community - and so destroys democracy, of which the commonwealth is the foundation and practical means.” - Wendell Berry

Parshvik Chintan
#43 Posted : 6/13/2013 1:18:58 AM

DMT-Nexus member

is this for smoking or eating?
My wind instrument is the bong
CHANGA IN THE BONGA!

Orion
#44 Posted : 6/13/2013 1:47:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

DeMenTed wrote:
Holy moly Orion that looks terrific! What exaactly is it? Psilocybin?

An unknown percentage of psilocybin, degraded psilocin and other inactive impurities. Perfectly edible.

The Day Tripper wrote:
If only you could base psilocybin, get it into that acetone, and fasa the psilocybin out. Obviously that would give you psilocin only.

Any way to go from psilocin -> psilocybin (phosphorylation) relatively easily? Could be as simple as a properly done acid or base catalyzed dephosphorylation into psilocin base (basifying later if you did an acid catalyzed dephosphorylation), acetone extraction of the base from the dried lime & crude wax/resin extract, then fasa to psilocin fumarate.

Then if your after pure psilocybin, find a way to phosphorylate it, if that's possible outside of trained chemistry procedures.

Orion, or anyone with the mycellium to work with them, i'd be interested in the results of a 69ron dry limetek, or possibly dry sodium carbonate tek, dry it fully and pull with acetone. Add fasa, and see what precipitates.

It won't give you psilocybin, but if it works like it did for me with basing 4-aco-dmt fumarate in the same manner, you should end up with psilocin fumarate precipitates. Very, very, active precipitates Shocked.

But dry it fast with mgso4 or naso4, or both. I only based my aco goo for ~30m, and had it bone dry without heat at the 1hr mark. 1hr later, the acetone pulling/fasa'ing was done. and precipitates were present. The faster you do this, the less you lose to degradation. Psilocin base is very fragile, psilocin in general is fragile, psilocin base in hydrated basified conditions is very, very fragile. You'll know what i mean when you see the bluing after hydration and basification.

With chloroform it's not too hard to obtain psilocin ( https://www.dmt-nexus.me...&m=448404#post448404 ) and I think a FASA from xylene might work, but yields are low as it degrades fast in solution, and then converting the tiny amount yielded via phosphorylation into psilocybin would require something quite advanced for the kitchen chemist. It would actually be easier to convert psilocin into 4-aco-DMT (and I'll say again, if we can talk about making DMT acetate then this shouldn't be too sketchy...). Unfortunately the chemicals needed are difficult to obtain and besides the yields are so low it seems to be a waste of effort vs just having some 4 aco in the first place.

Parshvik Chintan wrote:
is this for smoking or eating?

Eating, but you could try either Thumbs up
Art Van D'lay wrote:
Smoalk. It. And. See.

DeMenTed
#45 Posted : 6/13/2013 2:11:05 AM

Barry

You deserve a brain after this fine work Orion Pleased senior member thingy

Parshvik Chintan
#46 Posted : 6/13/2013 5:13:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Orion wrote:
Eating. If had pure crystal psilocybin or psilocin I would surely try to vape some.

purity is overrated.

as far as i am concerned it is infinitely better than smoking a mushroom Very happy
My wind instrument is the bong
CHANGA IN THE BONGA!

nen888
#47 Posted : 6/13/2013 11:14:16 AM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

thanks for this diligent research Orion..

..i still want to know what on earth it becomes if the pH is taken up above 5...

??

5HT3
#48 Posted : 12/4/2013 12:45:01 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Great thread, and a topic with a lot of room for research.

2 similar threads at shroomery that didn't go very far:

http://www.shroomery.org...p/Number/3521243#3521243

http://www.shroomery.org...Number/17945955#17945955

It would be great to have a community effort to test more solvents and well as salts of psilocybin/psilocyn (as different salts should have different solubility).

Also, looking for the spectroscopy data for Baeocystin.

Also, wondering about the use of spectroscopy to determine relative concentrations of psilocybin/psilocyn/baeocystin to eachother and between batches/strains/species...

locojuiceman
#49 Posted : 9/25/2014 10:20:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Excuse me but I have an aside to ask if thats okay? Would it be possible to use spent RUE seeds for the Compost instead of Birdseed or Rye or whatever else...
After the Rue was spent, and I put it aside to dry [[ Used for Antibacterial/Microbial, internally ]], within a couple days it almost turned to black dust, which is what shrooms LOVE, no?
Everything I say here happened in My own Imagination. The more fantastic it sounds, the more you can count on it being in the realm of Dreams,

Orion
#50 Posted : 9/25/2014 3:18:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

locojuiceman wrote:
Excuse me but I have an aside to ask if thats okay? Would it be possible to use spent RUE seeds for the Compost instead of Birdseed or Rye or whatever else...
After the Rue was spent, and I put it aside to dry [[ Used for Antibacterial/Microbial, internally ]], within a couple days it almost turned to black dust, which is what shrooms LOVE, no?

A lot of stuff will colonize well with various molds after being pasteurised, rue and tea are two good examples. A jar of spent rue left in a cupboard will explode with mold. Whether these substrates are easy enough to metabolize for psychoactive mushroom strains isn't confirmed or denied so far as I can see.

You could try to substitute it in a PF tek, but make sure you pressure cook it well. Substitute half the verm for rue, or just do it the same as grain jars.

Still, other reliable substrates are so cheap, would it make much difference ? Unless for some reason it gave exceptional fruits...
Art Van D'lay wrote:
Smoalk. It. And. See.

blue.magic
#51 Posted : 10/17/2017 8:15:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Given the excellent solubility data here and extraction techniques given in the literature, I was thinking about this extraction path (applies to fully dried, ground fruits):

Simple extraction
1. soak in warm methanol (30 ml per gram) for 12 hours
2. filter, evaporate the liquid

Improved extraction follow-up
3. dissolve in warm/hot ethanol, filter, keep liquid
4. de-fat with nonpolar solvent (e.g. naphtha), separate layers, keep ethanol
5. adjust pH to 4.0 with HCl, mix well, filter, keep liquid
6. refrigerate/freeze to precipiptate psilocybin hydrochloride
7. filter, dry solids

Recrystallization of psilocybin.HCl
8. wash with anhydrous acetone, filter, dry solids
9. dissolve in hot ethanol, decant/filter, keep liquid
10. refrigerate/freeze to precipiptate psilocybin hydrochloride
11. filter, dry solids

The goal is to obtain reasonably pure psilocybin in powder form, not a crystal but also not a goo.
I will try this once I get some acetone and ethanol.

downwardsfromzero
#52 Posted : 10/18/2017 1:17:50 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Quote:
Have you checked the solubility of psilocybin HCl? Will it freeze-precipitate out of aqueous ethanol?

Precipitating psilocybin as its calcium salt might be worth a look. Otherwise, perhaps the tartrate or fumarate?

(Finding something that's not too hygroscopic is also - obviously, perhaps - most desirable.)

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

blue.magic
#53 Posted : 10/18/2017 2:36:06 AM

DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:
Quote:
Have you checked the solubility of psilocybin HCl? Will it freeze-precipitate out of aqueous ethanol?

Precipitating psilocybin as its calcium salt might be worth a look. Otherwise, perhaps the tartrate or fumarate?

(Finding something that's not too hygroscopic is also - obviously, perhaps - most desirable.)

I have not mentioned aqueous ethanol, just ethanol. The extraction would be anhydrous or at least done with 95% EtOH.

See OP:

endlessness wrote:
Hydrochloride:
Insoluble in acetone; insoluble petroleum ether; soluble in hot
ethanol; poorly soluble in cold ethanol. Isolate·d via crystal-
lization with cold from ethanol. Anon 2003

Psilocybin is a zwitterion and amphoteric. It does not behave like DMT or strongly basic alkaloids which readily form various salts. The HCl salt seems to exist, tough I can't find any solid reference Confused

I am not chemist but maybe HCl will bind to psilocybin as a strong acid to weak base. Weaker acid may not be able to do that.

Can anyone find that "Anon 2003" article? I can't find it, seems like some "Anonymous" source, not mentioned even in Trout's Notes.

downwardsfromzero
#54 Posted : 10/18/2017 7:33:11 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Quote:
I have not mentioned aqueous ethanol, just ethanol. The extraction would be anhydrous or at least done with 95% EtOH.
Sorry, I really meant slightly damp ethanol as I presumed you'd be adding aqueous HCl rather than using anhydrous HCl gas. There's a significant (general) difference between absolute ethanol and even 95% ethanol, as I'm sure you will appreciate.

I mention tartrate and fumarate as much for their antioxidant properties as anything, though in fairness I ought to have compared their pKaH values with those of the phosphate group and the trialkylammonium gubbins for it to be a worthwhile comment.

Will psilocybin HCl have a more favourable solubility curve than the neutral zwitterion? It will be exciting if you find out!

Quote:
I am not chemist but
hopefully you have sufficient experience to handle methanol safely.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."

blue.magic
#55 Posted : 10/19/2017 3:07:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:
Quote:
Sorry, I really meant slightly damp ethanol as I presumed you'd be adding aqueous HCl rather than using anhydrous HCl gas. There's a significant (general) difference between absolute ethanol and even 95% ethanol, as I'm sure you will appreciate.

I mention tartrate and fumarate as much for their antioxidant properties as anything, though in fairness I ought to have compared their pKaH values with those of the phosphate group and the trialkylammonium gubbins for it to be a worthwhile comment.

Will psilocybin HCl have a more favourable solubility curve than the neutral zwitterion? It will be exciting if you find out!

Quote:
I am not chemist but
hopefully you have sufficient experience to handle methanol safely.

Yes it will be more of an alchemy on my side. No worries, I worked with methanol and many other solvents previously.

Unfortunately I haven't found the water content of the ethanol used in extractions in the referenced articles, so I assumed it was anhydrous.

Having 95% probably may not hurt, as well as adding drop or two of 30% HCl.

sbc1
#56 Posted : 10/19/2017 8:26:01 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Following Smile

Loveall
#57 Posted : 4/23/2018 8:17:14 PM

❤️‍🔥

Chemical expertSenior Member

Infundibulum wrote:
1. we do not know whether psilocin is soluble in xylene. The second quote says xylene should work, but you know how internet is... for starters bufotenine freebase, an isomer of psilocin, can be pulled with chloroform or dcm, but NOT xylene, so the odds are against using xylene atm, but who knows? worth trying though and FASA-ing it.

2. It's all theoretical predictions - not hard data. I would personally do psilocin fumarate and a pinch of ascorbic acid, then add ethanol to a final 40-50% and store in the freezer.

3. No, even psilocybin "freebase" (a loose term here to describe net charge = zero, aka isoelectic point) which exists theoretically at a pH of 4, is still waaaay too polar to be pulled with xylene or other non-polar solvent.

4. makes no sense, chemically speaking - a possible way would be to convert the psilocybin to psilocin and then to the stable 4-Aco-dmt, then pull. But I doubt the later would happen in the conditions of a crude mushroom extract and of course would require some good chemical expertise. It's discussion would also be not allowed in this forum nexus either...

We have some prelimianry "blue" evidence that psilocin can go into xylene here.

Thank you Orion for the great ideas (FASA/xylene for psilocin) and info in this thread. Also thanks Otiliya and Plux- for this info.
💚🌵💚 Mescaline CIELO TEK 💚🌵💚
💚🌳💚DMT salt e-juice HIELO TEK💚🌳💚
💚🍃💚 Salvinorin Chilled Acetone with IPA and Naphtha re-X TEK💚🍃💚

downwardsfromzero
#58 Posted : 4/24/2018 9:33:55 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Infundibulum wrote:
4. makes no sense, chemically speaking - a possible way would be to convert the psilocybin to psilocin and then to the stable 4-Aco-dmt, then pull. But I doubt the later would happen in the conditions of a crude mushroom extract and of course would require some good chemical expertise. It's discussion would also be not allowed in this forum nexus either...

Strange that there's a thread about forming the N-acetylated derivative of NMT, I wonder what it is that makes O-acetylation so unacceptable?Twisted Evil

I would suggest that the possibility of internal H-bond formation is one of the things that distinguishes psilocin's properties from those of bufotenine. Pic attached.
downwardsfromzero attached the following image(s):
Bufo vs Psilo.jpg (8kb) downloaded 82 time(s).

Loveall
#59 Posted : 4/24/2018 11:17:18 PM

❤️‍🔥

Chemical expertSenior Member

Interesting idea downwardsfromzero. Do you think increasing ionic strength would put more "squeeze" on the molecules that can be affected by this internal interaction more? I think the geometry you propose may explain why (in a Marvin simulation) increasing ionic strength impacts the partition corfficient in the order psilocybin >> psilocin > bufotenin > harmalol.

For example, from this thread:
Loveall attached the following image(s):
lod D.jpg (65kb) downloaded 71 time(s).
💚🌵💚 Mescaline CIELO TEK 💚🌵💚
💚🌳💚DMT salt e-juice HIELO TEK💚🌳💚
💚🍃💚 Salvinorin Chilled Acetone with IPA and Naphtha re-X TEK💚🍃💚

downwardsfromzero
#60 Posted : 4/25/2018 12:51:49 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

I think this internal interaction hides some of the polarity of psilocin. So the slope seen with increased ionic strength in the graph there may relate to that. What does a similar plot for o-cresol vs. m-cresol look like? Or 4-OH indole vs. 5-OH indole? I'll have to sleep on this one.

PREV1234NEXT