We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
When to take a cutting? Options

Nathaniel
#1 Posted : 10/6/2017 2:16:00 AM

Nathaniel

Salutations, Nexus. It's been a while since I've posted, I hope you are doing well. I just had a quick question about when you should take a cutting.

My San Pedro is finally getting a bit too tall for me to move around comfortably, and I would love to take a cutting or two. Are there any rules regarding weather/climate when taking a cutting? I live in a rainy, temperate part of the world and I'll have to bring my plants in once it gets too cold. I just wanted to make sure that my plant and cuttings will be fine with regards to the climate. Right now is the best part of the year when we get precious few weeks of perfect autumn weather before it all turns to shitty cold, grey dampness for endless nights.

I can't wait to start propagating more beautiful plants!
You are me and I am you, I'll always be with you...

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Ulim
#2 Posted : 10/6/2017 5:22:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Its better to keep it dry ofc to prevent mold.
There are many things you can put on the wounds check the internet. Make sure you let them dry in a room where there is no mold tho.

Nathaniel
#3 Posted : 10/7/2017 12:43:49 AM

Nathaniel

Thanks. I might wait until next year to cut it, I didn't know if it was better to do during active growth or when things are a bit slower.

urtica
#4 Posted : 10/7/2017 1:14:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I have had better luck taking cuttings while the plant is actively growing than during the slower colder seasons. If they can start pupping right away there is less likelihood for rot.
urtica is a fictional character. nothing written by this fictional character has anything to do with reality. if urtica was real, and performing any activities that are restricted by certain governmental forces, these activities would be performed in Heaven where nothing is true & everything is permitted.

unclesyd
#5 Posted : 10/7/2017 4:00:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I usually take mine in the spring right before growth starts back up...like in March.
Since you have to leave the cutting in a dark dry place untill it calluses...the bottom cut part hardens over, when you go to plant it in a couple weeks it will be ready to grow...

If you cut now and let it callus and then pot in a month, it isn't realy going to have that burst of growth like in the spring...and then that makes the chances of the cutting rotting higher.

I have also cut to late in the spring g almost summer and it was already to warm and wet out and I had issues with rot that way as well.

Also when you make the cut be sure to cut threw the middle of where the spines come out. This will also help to promote growth out of that node as well. I use to have bases that never sprouted up new growth easily untill I discovered this.
Remember, if the women dont find you handsome.....they might as well find you handy.

Jagube
#6 Posted : 10/7/2017 8:36:05 AM

DMT-Nexus member

When I took a cutting in winter, some black rot appeared in the wound. I treated it with H2O2 and that helped.

Nathaniel
#7 Posted : 10/7/2017 4:18:00 PM

Nathaniel

unclesyd wrote:
I usually take mine in the spring right before growth starts back up...like in March.
Since you have to leave the cutting in a dark dry place untill it calluses...the bottom cut part hardens over, when you go to plant it in a couple weeks it will be ready to grow...

If you cut now and let it callus and then pot in a month, it isn't realy going to have that burst of growth like in the spring...and then that makes the chances of the cutting rotting higher.

I have also cut to late in the spring g almost summer and it was already to warm and wet out and I had issues with rot that way as well.

Also when you make the cut be sure to cut threw the middle of where the spines come out. This will also help to promote growth out of that node as well. I use to have bases that never sprouted up new growth easily untill I discovered this.

Thanks, everyone! I appreciate the info.

So you are saying to make sure you cut through the areole? But the base will end up under a couple inches of soil, so I was just wondering if that would make a difference. I might even try planting one as a log just for fun.