We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV123
I Smoked DMT 600 Times in Three Years Options

Rivaq's Matilda
#41 Posted : 9/27/2017 10:55:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

tryptographer wrote:

Just avoid inappropriate terms (in this context) like occult, research, '600 times' - it only discredits your book imho!

Be very cautious about the difference in intrinsic meaning between occult and esoteric.

From etymology online:

occult (adj.)
1530s, "secret, not divulged," from Middle French occulte and directly from Latin occultus "hidden, concealed, secret," past participle of occulere "cover over, conceal," from assimilated form of ob "over" (see ob-) + a verb related to celare "to hide," from PIE root *kel- (1) "to cover, conceal, save." Meaning "not apprehended by the mind, beyond the range of understanding" is from 1540s. The association with the supernatural sciences (magic, alchemy, astrology, etc.) dates from 1630s.

esoteric (adj.)
1650s, from Greek esoterikos "belonging to an inner circle" (Lucian), from esotero "more within," comparative adverb of eso "within," from PIE *ens-o-, suffixed form of *ens, extended form of root *en "in." Classically applied to certain popular and non-technical writings of Aristotle, later to doctrines of Pythagoras. In English, first of Pythagorean doctrines.

What is esoteric need no covering over to sustain the mystery of an inner truth which may be able to be corroborated in science, but only those in the inner circle, witness how the inner truth is paired with the scientific investigation.
What is occult, likely got covered over, thus suggests uncovering such may debunk.

Esoteric belongs with a set of three words, "exoteric", "mesoteric", and "esoteric", each describing a circle of knowledge defined by marriage of experiential understanding, with taught knowledge. The exoteric circle is the one in which Spirit beings need be recognized to substantiate entry. The mesoteric circle is the one in which the flow of knowledge is understood as able to be received more, when given more. The esoteric circle can't be defined outside of entry into, which makes it seem suspicious of course. However these three circles are defined within many indigenous knowledge systems, and critical to the more ancient systems of scientific investigation I described in a previous post.

Of course folk who base their belief, or bow to the mainstream western mindset basing belief, in Western science, will quibble about meaning, since the deeper issue with Western science, (deeper than the fallacy of the vacuum), is the lack of timely marriage between experiential understanding defined by experimental observation being repetitive, and internal exoteric observation of corroboration from the point of view of Spirit beings. Obviously, if anybody sustains the quibble that Spirit beings existence is subjective since it can't be substantiated by modern Western scientific method, they won't believe in the deeper sciences of old.

Modern western science is what it is, no denying that, but since it becomes used by persons who were hell bent on disputing reality, it was that too.

a mother a daughter a lover of life, an exorcist of addictions if ere in need of the strife, and at bottom line a wife, I might well be a bore, yet have no doubt, I stand among the poor, and beg not what for, that hat hath at, nobody's mind fell too flat

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

tregar
#42 Posted : 9/28/2017 3:32:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Rivaq Matilda said:
Quote:
Be very cautious about the difference in intrinsic meaning between occult and esoteric.
Good point, and thanks for extra reading contrasting the difference between the two terms.

SnozzleBerry said on post 28:
Quote:
I haven't drawn any hard and fast conclusions about DMT and the experiences it facilitates. I don't have any conclusions about entities, precisely because I realize how much is out there that I don't know. I believe the probability that my little meat machine computer brain could actually comprehend any Truth from these experiences is close to zero, and frankly I'm not interested in questions of is X or Y "real"...largely because I don't think it's a pragmatic question. For further articulation on this see:

The Improbability of Hyperspace
The Improbability of Hyperspace II
A pragmatic approach: What is "real", and when is it actually useful to ask this?

The closest things I could make to conclusions regarding DMT and other psychedelics is that they can be catalysts for people to affect personal and social change, especially when deployed through coherent sociopolitical and structural analysis. They can function as ontological and epistemological bombs, forcing users to construct fundamentally new pictures of their experiential reality. They have tremendous therapeutic, medical, and recreational potential. As to the experiential theorizing, I maintain that the Truth is likely stranger than we can imagine. Personally, I'd rather have the experience and let it be what it is, whatever that may be, rather than trying to shoehorn it into inherently limited conceptual constructs like "spiritual entities" or the kabbalah, or whatever the flavor of the week happens to be.
Good reading here, thanks Snozzleberry.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

PREV123