We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV123
My First Bridgesii Options

TGO
#41 Posted : 9/23/2017 7:09:40 AM

Music is alive and in your soul. It can move you. It can carry you. It can make you cry! Make you laugh. Most importantly, it makes you feel! What is more important than that?

Welcoming committee

Well, we finally have roots for the new guy! They popped out in several different places about a week or two ago. I have been really busy between moving (again) and college starting so I haven't had much time for the Nexus! I don't have a pic this time, unfortunately, but he is healthy and flourishing.

It has been quite warm here still but with fall/winter right around the corner, I was wondering what the general consensus is when it comes to bringing your cacti in for the winter?

I was planning to keep them inside, near a window, and to cut off the watering until spring. Sound about right?

Smile

New to The Nexus? Check These Out:

One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

roninsina
#42 Posted : 9/23/2017 10:53:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

TGO wrote:

I was planning to keep them inside, near a window, and to cut off the watering until spring. Sound about right?

Smile

I keep mine dark and dry through the winter. My understanding is that you need to give them water if they are getting light. I just chuck them in the basement when the low temperatures start getting into the 40' s (f).
"We dance round in a ring and suppose,
while the secret sits in the middle and knows." Robert Frost

Biawak
#43 Posted : 9/23/2017 11:19:25 AM
DMT-Nexus member

They can handle overnight lows down into the 20s (F) with no problems.

"The cost of sanity in this society is a certain level of alienation." - Terence McKenna

smoothmonkey
#44 Posted : 9/24/2017 6:15:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Though they can handle temps down to the 20's, they don't necessarily like it!

Some of mine handle it better than others and I've had some begin to rot that were exposed to cold overnight. I would err on the side of caution and bring them in when it starts to get cold. Even moving them in at night and back out in the sun during the day is not that laborous (until it really gets cold, then leave them inside) if you only have a few cacti. I just brought all mine in yesterday cuz it's getting down below 40 some nights here. Grandfather likes it warm. Smile
असतो मा सद्गमय ।
तमसो मा ज्योतिर्गमय ।
मृत्योर्मा अमृतं गमय ।

TGO
#45 Posted : 9/26/2017 8:11:55 PM

Music is alive and in your soul. It can move you. It can carry you. It can make you cry! Make you laugh. Most importantly, it makes you feel! What is more important than that?

Welcoming committee

Thanks for the replies guys!

I'll definitely be bringing them inside whenever it gets cold enough. I don't want to risk hurting them with cold if I don't have to. Summer seemed to kick back into gear over this last week and a half with temps in the upper 80's.

I suppose I could keep them in the garage. I moved into a new house recently where the washer and dryer are in the garage. There is a single vent that blows air out there. Obviously it must stay above freezing in the garage, otherwise the pipes would freeze. This may be a good spot to limit light and heat, which should help the plants go dormant and avoid etiolation.

Looking at the forecast, they will probably be outside for a couple more weeks at least. That should give me time to get everything figured out. Thanks for the help, it is always appreciated!
New to The Nexus? Check These Out:

One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish

PREV123