We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
How long to swirl solvent w.o it cooling? Options

Enceladus
#1 Posted : 9/15/2017 11:21:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey so if one used solvent such as naptha, and heated the solvent in a water bath and then took the heated solvent and added it to container with basic soup, and there are some 10 times more basic soup than the amount of solvent AND the soup is room temperaturish..

Would 15 minutes be too long to wait before beginning removal of solvent? I'm thinking the solvent won't be hot anymore

Thanks

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Northerner
#2 Posted : 9/16/2017 12:18:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Leaving the solvent for longer is better in my experience. It doesn't hurt to leave for hours or even overnight if you're in no rush.

If you want the temps up heat your soup in the water bath. Wink
The nearest we ever come to knowing truth is when we are witness to paradox.

Hamiltone
#3 Posted : 9/17/2017 1:49:43 PM
DMT-Nexus member

It's going to cool down the temp of the soup (or some gradient between the the temp of the soup and the solvent) in the first few seconds of mixing, a bit like when you put cold milk in coffee and stir it in.

If you are extracting from something with a lot of impurities the longer you leave the solvent in the soup the more crap it tends to pick up. That being said like Norhtener I always used to end up leaving it in there for extended periods and it wasn't much of an issue.

Running Bear
#4 Posted : 9/18/2017 12:22:27 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Mix and let it separate 3 times, this usually takes about 15 minutes each time. After the 4th mix let it sit for 2 hours then carefully remove naptha. repeat this process 6 times. So 6 pulls altogether then freeze precipitate. After I freeze precipitate I do a recrystallization. A re-x is always worth it. If your not going to re-x i would probably wait a little longer than 2 hours just to be safe.

Running Bear
#5 Posted : 9/18/2017 12:55:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Ok I see what your asking. If I was you I would only heat it once. Honestly you would get a lot more out of a warm water bath. I don't like to use any heat because you pull more junk.

Du57mi73
#6 Posted : 9/20/2017 11:16:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Running Bear wrote:
Ok I see what your asking. If I was you I would only heat it once. Honestly you would get a lot more out of a warm water bath. I don't like to use any heat because you pull more junk.

I wouldnt heat it at all. The warm solvent should almost immediately equilize its temperature with the basic solution. Heat also causes oxidation rates to increase. I would just do everything at room temp and do a clean up step later.

If you're just trying to get the cleanest quickest amount, then by all means warm a small amount of solvent up, give it a quick shake and pull it off the top immediately.
"I am cursed by the blossoming knowledge of my feminine ideal and she looks suspiciously like you."

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." -AE