We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
new scientist aug 31th article (just the title) Options

exquisitus
#1 Posted : 9/1/2017 9:12:54 PM
DMT-Nexus member

31 August 2017
Will psychedelics for depression be just another false dawn?

Mind-bending street drugs are increasingly being hailed as potent antidepressants. Will they live up to the claims, ask Colin Hendrie and Alisdair Pickles

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Psilosopher?
#2 Posted : 9/1/2017 10:30:26 PM

Don't Panic

Since when are psychedelics "street drugs"?

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."

null24
#3 Posted : 9/2/2017 2:41:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Welcoming committeeModerator

Psilosopher? wrote:
Since when are psychedelics "street drugs"?

Circa 1967c.e.

That's the problem we are trying yup rectify.Wink

A link would be nice, I'd like to read the article. I'll have to find it. As long as it's not oppositional hyperbole,it may raise some genuine points. I think a lot of us, self very much included, tend to be apologetic when it comes to psychedelics. We are very careful,due to the stigma indicated in the articles title, to not cast any unflattering light upon the subject.

I chalk it up to disillusionment with people rather than the substances, along with simple growth and evolution of ideology, that I'm giving them more scrutiny lately.

Identifying negatives is the only way to move into solution. Ignoring them only creates issues.
Sine experientia nihil sufficienter sciri potest -Roger Bacon
*γνῶθι σεαυτόν*

OrionFyre
#4 Posted : 9/2/2017 6:19:19 AM

DMT-Nexus member

null24 wrote:
A link would be nice, I'd like to read the article.

It's behind a signup wall: https://www.newscientist...?utm_campaign=RSS%7CNSNS

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Take the third hit
Then youuu....

downwardsfromzero
#5 Posted : 9/6/2017 9:27:53 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

They interviewed Robin Carhart-Harris the previous week. I would imagine they saw it fit to 'create balance in their reportage', for whatever reason.

Pickles shares a surname with a notoriously right-wing judge, FWIW.

They are comparing apples with oranges, too. About 40% of patients respond to placebo as well as to a course of (e.g.) SSRI antidepressants, with all their attendant side-effects (weight gain, anhedonia, cardiac effects, difficult-to-dangerous cessation, etc.) whereas 42% of subjects respond to a single dose of psilocybin. No wonder big pharma is opposed to the erosion of their customer base.

I'm looking forward to the studies on mescaline which should one day take place.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli