We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
IBS-C and Ayahuasca Options

Bancopuma
#1 Posted : 3/14/2017 7:24:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So this is a bit of a tangent, but a few accounts here of people passing kidney stones under the influence of psilocybe mushrooms. Psilocybin and DMT are pretty similar, so if psilocybin is capable of triggering the passing of kidney stones, I wouldn't put it past ayahuasca either.

https://www.shroomology....rooms-and-kidney-issues/

Sorry I can't be more helpful, I hope you make a full recovery soon.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Redguard
#2 Posted : 3/14/2017 11:45:57 PM
DMT-Nexus member

DGL (licorice) works wonders for ulcers and a few tablets before Aya could reduce/eliminate your issues. Google it Pleased
“I am that gadfly which God has attached to the state, and all day long …arousing and persuading and reproaching…You will not easily find another like me.”-- Socrates

pitubo
#3 Posted : 3/14/2017 11:49:59 PM

dysfunctional word machine

The one time I overindulged on licorice root candy before a pharmahuasca session, I suffered noticeable feverish reactions. Perhaps it soothes ulcers, but there may be unexpected and unwanted side-effects too. Always be extra careful when mixing unknowns with MAOI's and RIMA's.

Redguard
#4 Posted : 3/15/2017 12:49:57 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Deglycyrrhizinated licorice is a much safer alternative to licorice itself. But pitubo does raise a point.
“I am that gadfly which God has attached to the state, and all day long …arousing and persuading and reproaching…You will not easily find another like me.”-- Socrates

Legarto Rey
#5 Posted : 8/27/2017 10:56:04 AM
DMT-Nexus member

No particular insight into your GI issues with oral DMT, however magnesium deficiency is endemic in the West. Soils are depleted and essentially everyone is total body mag deficient. Amongst a myriad of vital functions, prevention of kidney stones and relief of constipation are high on the list.

Research this for yourself. Granted you have normal renal function, a cheap supplement is mag-oxide, 400mg BID x 2weeks then 400mg QD, forever. You might be surprised at the benefits.

Peace

Psilociraptor
#6 Posted : 8/27/2017 11:55:20 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I'm not sure it's going to be easy to come to a conclusion. You've got a whole ecosystem down there. There is all sorts of stuff in the ayahuasca brew that is going to impact that and sometimes a die off of microorganisms can exacerbate "autoimmune" conditions temporarily before eliminating them. So it's hard to tell if your getting worse is actually a symptom of getting better, or whether it is strictly a contraindication. Many folks down south consider ayahuasca medicine for virtually everything, but we tend to approach medicine different in the west. What you could do is try a b. caapi only brew. Start small, dose consecutively and see if the symptoms pile up or if they peak and then subside. The former would suggest to me a contraindication whereas the latter would suggest a sort of "healing crisis" (aka jarisch-herxheimer reaction). But of course there are so many unforeseen variables I couldn't stick to that as a hard fast rule. It's just a scenario that first comes to mind out of personal experience. I have Lyme disease which caused an autoimmune condition known as CIDP as well as some undiagnosed rheumatic issues. Any time I take anything antimicrobial be it an herb or drug I get a massive flare in symptoms followed by remission presumably due to the ejection of inflammatory debris from the the dying bacterias cell wall and inner compartments. B caapi is known to be broadly antimicrobial and I wouldn't doubt chacruna is as well. In an intestinal inflammatory condition there is always a chance a certain plant medicine illicits a temporary inflammatory response by this means. But of course that's just one consideration from one particular angle.

Psilociraptor
#7 Posted : 8/28/2017 1:11:06 PM
DMT-Nexus member

"immune system, the intestinal mucosa, and neurology both in the gut and central nervous system."

This almost invariably implies infection or dysbiosis. Why it is not the default hypothesis at this point is beyond me. This is the case for a hell of a lot of diseases from CVD, to cancer, to alzheimers that we treat (poorly) with all sorts of immune disrupting drugs despite that they are more than likely sequela of active infections. There have been some articles out recently saying something like "we can't identify 99% of the microbes in the body". I'm not sure how accurate that number is but it gives some perspective on why our understanding of chronic disease has been such a failure historically. After all we are just ecosystems and nothing more. How could we exclude our microbiological constituents from any shift in the steady state when they are the foundation of that steady state? Yet this is precisely what we've done. Autoimmune diseases without offending agents. Neural plaques without bacteria to build them. Cancers that behave like intracellular parasites despite considerably less time to develop such survival strategies. Bodies that attack themselves from overnutrition? Rolling eyes I guess billionares too self destruct because they don't know where to stash all their money. No way. All those things you pointed out about IBS are true but they have an underlying link in the global microbiome.

As for the pharmahuasca, the beta carbolines themselves are antimicrobial bringing me back to my earlier point about a "healing crisis". When an ayahuascero says you're "expelling 'demons'" sometimes it may be quite literal. But again this was just one suggestion of why it might not be a contraindication though it can't be proven in your case. It's just a not so uncommon scenario for people with certain "autoimmune" diseases to develop these sorts of sensitivities to antimicrobials. It could be a purely neurologic or metabolic phenomena as well and in that case you may just be shit out of luck until you heal. Maybe the build up of monoamines in a gut with your particular type of damage is bad? Maybe the impact of 5-HT agonists? But i believe you said DMT didn't bother. Is that because the route of delivery? Do other psychedelics do this when taken orally?

There are a too many potentials here to take any sort of speculation seriously. Chronic diseases span all disciplines of health sciences. They are extremely multidimensional and it can be very difficult to come across a single linear reasoning of why a certain event is occurring. There might be many suggested pathways. But which one is the major contributor? Or are they synergistic? And you really have to know that to understand if what you're dealing with is a healing crisis or a contraindication. I'll tell you, in my condition i physically can't get better without paying the price first. Pharma abx, herbal abx... it's all the same to me. Increase my dose 1/8 of a tsp and expect to stay home the next few days in pain. I'd hate to tell anyone that an abx is contraindicated in my condition because it can literally save their life. At the same time, i don't want to suggest that anything that hurts is healing. It can take a long time to tease out these nuances. And it can be really scary at times "am I having a heart attack or is that just a die off of bacteria in my heart??" "Is that a die-off in my gut or is it drug induced liver injury". All i can do is take it low and slow and rule out any concerns that a doctor might be able to rule out. Titrate my doses, one herb/drug at a time. See if the trend is to peak and then get better, or if i just get progressively worse. If you choose to pursue ayahuasca i would do that starting with b. caapi only. If not, i understand that too. It might not be the preferred medicine in this case. It might not be medicine at all in this case. Or it might be the key to your health. Actually healing a chronic illness is a long drawn out process of self-discovery, experimentation, humility, learning from failures and persevering. And you frequently have to dip into dark waters before you can understand whats truly beneath them.

Psilociraptor
#8 Posted : 8/29/2017 2:00:27 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Right I take no issue with the warning. I think you're right to bring this up because it might be something that someone in your condition wants to watch out for.

"Some cases of IBS can be initiated by infections in the gut, but after the immune system "wins" or the infection is wiped out with treatments like antibiotics, the immune system is somehow maimed or confused and attacks things it shouldn't like an allergic reaction."

I would be careful with this line of reasoning however. You're right in that it's the mainstream medical opinion about autoimmune diseases. But it's built on an informal fallacy (ie argument from ignorance). "we can't show an infection persists so it's not there". And far from being a philosophical nitpicking, i have textbook length resources on infections that frequently elude detection as it relates to "idiopathic" diseases. Even when it's known that that person suffered from said infection before treatment it can be notoriously difficult to diagnose afterwords. Lyme disease is a great example how nonsensical all of this has become. The mainstream asserts that PLDS (Post Lyme Disease Syndrome) is a disease caused by persistent autoimmune attack after the infection has been eradicated. The alternative is that low levels of microorganisms persist in dormant and chronic stages and continue to stimulate inflammation. This has been supported by both in vitro and in vivo research. And despite all the denigration by the former, the latter is more consistent with basic trends in bacteriology and immunology and supported by better evidence (especially since the former rests their argument in an informal fallacy which by definition isn't evidence).

I'm a little rusty on the topics so i can't break down the details of exactly what doesn't sit right in my gut about that perspective. But the first issue in my mind is the need for PAMP to stimulate a strong immune response. Much like a plant needs light to photosynthesize, immune cells need PAMP (bits and pieces of pathogens) to sustain strong inflammatory responses (sort of a bad analogy). The relationship between microorganisms and immune cells is dynamic. They track each other continuously. Coupled with the seriously redundant feedback pathways involved inhibiting abnormal responses, the whole "autoimmunity is an immune system gone haywire" idea really points to the confusion of reductionist scientists over that of immune cells. Back to the human as an ecosystem perspective. Humans don't just "break" like machines. They don't go haywire anymore than organisms in a forest just go full retard and start killing things. Everything is in response to a living need. In many cases an autoimmune attack is the result of biomimicry on the part of a microorganism. The reason these organisms are so hard to detect is specifically because, unlike their 20th century pandemic counterparts, they don't want to be found. The exist in very low numbers, in specialized niches, in variable morphologies, and they frequently express antigen that "looks" like the tissue they're infecting. The purpose of this is to induce self tolerance in immune cells and prevent their own destruction. Autoimmunity in this case is a compromise where the immune system says "i can't let this go unnoticed anymore. it's either autoimmunity, or unchecked infection". The antibodies or TCR's will bind both microorganism and healthy tissue. It's not a mistake but a calculated response. And in theory, to my knowledge, this should only happen when coupled with PAMP. Again a similar issue with Lyme where outer surface protein A (OspA) is immunologically cross reactive to human gangliosides on neurons (a consequence of the spirochetes affinity for nervous system tissue and desire to remain unnoticed). Like a mask it wears to blend in. This is a cause of peripheral nerve disorders like CIDP and other guillaine-barre syndrome variants. And again while it's been unjustifiably assumed that persistent nerve disorders follow successful treatment, the dormant antibiotic refractory cells that have been suggested to remain continue to release OspA suggesting they are the real source of continued pathology. So again, not the body being stupid. Rather, it's still trying to get rid of the little fuckers (which i should point out are uncultivable due to their dormant nature which has contributed to the delusion of "eradication" ). And I know IBS is not Lyme disease. Lyme is just a good window into the ideologies of chronic illnesses and one of my main references from personal experience. The truth is that we have just grossly underestimated the nature of chronic infections in general. We expect them to behave and be treated like those of the 20th century and before, but it's not so. They have a different survival strategy. I would seriously reconsider your "extensive testing" and the fact that you may have picked something up in Peru. Though I can't in good conscience tell you what to do about it as that is a very personal journey along very dark paths. But I'm certainly making more progress than I was sitting on my ass going "well the doctors said i should be cured by now. my immune system must be stupid".

Anyways sorry for that ramble. It's just one of my hot button issues. Only trying to help because I know the hopelessness of believing that some scientist with their infallible brain has deduced your immune system is functionally retarded. The irony runs deep. It is not so. The immune system will make less errors in treating illness than the conscious mind will because that's what it's adapted for. It is the master of its domain. Virtually all problems lie in bad functional support and the occasional worthy competitor.

Anyways, back to the issue at hand. That's really interesting that you say it's in fact the DMT. Have you tried other psychedelics? In that case I'm not so clear what the issue might be. I don't think it's related to the discussion above as far as your reaction to ayahuasca goes. Since I'm not aware of DMT being some broad spectrum antimicrobial. But like you said, being such a neurological "power house" i wouldn't doubt it was interacting with your condition in some way. I think gut disorders can be some of the most complex just because of the immense variability of the environment. I wish I had some better insights but I don't think anyone is going to give you anything better. It will just sort of have to come from personal experience what works for you and what doesn't. Even though we classify chronic illnesses as generalized entities, their context-heavy nature almost makes them idiosyncracies

ShamensStamen
#9 Posted : 8/29/2017 7:04:43 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Hey Syber, perhaps try out some pure Allicin from Garlic (i'm using the Swanson kind of supplement), it helps with things like SIBO and can be a pretty good anti-bacterial apparently. Ever since i started taking it my stomach has felt better and i've been able to pass gas more easily. Also look into probiotics, like Activia yogurt for example. Lack of good bacteria can play a role in IBS and such. If you take the Allicin or even actual Garlic, take it with food, it can cause stomach pain and such by itself without food. Also look into Lemon essential oil, it seems to do good for the digestive tract, i've recently started taking it again, good stuff, about 4 to 6 drops once or twice a day, 8 drops at once may cause diarrhea though, remember, the Lemon EO can build up in the body and be more effective, so try taking it regularly.

ShamensStamen
#10 Posted : 8/29/2017 10:04:06 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Ah, so you've tried Lemon EO? It works pretty well for me, plus it helps a good bit with heartburn and helps normalize my bowel movements. Allicin/Garlic has been pretty good for my gut i think, i don't feel much abdominal pains or bloating these days and i can pass gas more easily whereas before i was having a hard time passing gas. I suffer from constipation a lot, and sometimes diarrhea, but Lemon EO and most likely the Allicin have really helped me out. Oregano and Ginger EO's might also be worth looking into. And yes Rue/Harmalas do seem to cause some constipation with regular use i've noticed that quite a few times before. Magnesium supplementation might also help with constipation. One thing that seems to be bad for bowel movements is Zantac, 150mgs seems fine but 300mgs gives me diarrhea and light colored stools.

I should also note that i recently stepped up my Allicin intake to 3 tablets 3 to 4 times a day, so about 108mgs to 144mgs a day. Beforehand i was taking 2 tablets 3 times a day, so 72mgs a day. With Allicin, i've noticed one can have that bacteria die off effect where one might feel a bit crummy or achy but it passes and i do have to say, so far, i feel better.