We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Outdoor Psilocybe Mushrooms Northeast Options

windchime
#1 Posted : 8/27/2017 7:53:39 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Has anyone tried this? I've seen cultivated outdoor beds of Cubensis in the Southeast US and Cyanescens in the PNW but nothing aside from indoor grows in the Northeast US. There is a similar climate during part of the year albeit perhaps not quite as humid but it seems like it could be worth a shot especially with Cyanescens.

My hope is that an outdoor bed of wood chips inoculated with Cyanescen mycelium and kept shaded/moist might be feasible. There has been limited success reported but it would be amazing if the mushrooms somehow managed to acclimate themselves to the area and over time make themselves at home.

Is there something about the PNW that would keep them happy aside from their preferred substrate, fruiting temperature, and relative humidity or could it be as simple as relocating the spores/mycelium into a similar environment and lending a helping hand until established?

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Sakkadelic
#2 Posted : 8/27/2017 10:19:38 AM

DMT-Nexus member

sorry i don't have an answer for your question but i wonder about this too whether i can introduce mushroom species like Psilocybe cyanescens or a Gymnopilus to the woods around where i live..
i think if you let the colonization finish inside then make a bed outside with that spawn, it will work almost everywhere maybe they survive and acclimate if the climate is similar
wood lovers definetly has a better shot but if you have cows or horses somewhere near you can feed them cubensis spores and it works Smile
i will definitely try this at some point probably with Gymnopilus since it's supposed to grow in my area but i never found it
i also feel it will be harder than we think since there's a lot of competition with other fungus
and welcome to the nexus Thumbs up
"Is this the end of our adventure? Nothing has an end. We came in search of the secret of immortality, to be like gods, and here we are... mortals, more human than ever. If we have not obtained immortality, at least we have obtained reality. We began in a fairytale and we came to life! But is this life reality? We are images, dreams, photographs. We must not stay here! Prisoners! We shall break the illusion. This is Maya. Goodbye to the holy mountain. Real life awaits us." ~ Alejandro Jodorowsky

windchime
#3 Posted : 8/27/2017 11:30:37 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Thank you! That's a good idea choosing one that's already local. I'm not sure if there are any around here but I'll look into it. Hopefully something works out. We'll see!

werver
#4 Posted : 8/27/2017 8:07:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I believe it's a good start to check out this thread on shroomery or cross checking with a hardiness zone map. Azurescens seems to be a good shot, anyhow.
...but it all looked so real! It's not just imagination! Here is why.

concombres
#5 Posted : 8/29/2017 12:49:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Look into psilocybe ovoideocystidiata. From a quick search it seems to show geographical distribution in the northeastern U.s. found from mississippi through ohio, new york & new jersey.

Study what the climate is like where this mushroom is found. Compare to your local climate. It seems like as long as climate is not far off you may be able to get it to grow in an area it is not yet listed. I dont know a whole lot about growing mushrooms just yet though so i could be wrong.

#6 Posted : 8/29/2017 8:15:45 AM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

Wood lovers should be able to be done outdoors if timed right in the NE [also depends on the area in the NE as there can be microclimates that could favor these if you grew them].

On a sidenote last year I ran across these gymonopilus junonius cluster during late fall. First time ever finding them, will definitely return this year. All about the time of year and habitat. Ate a few of these when they had been dried - definitely psilo, definitely active.

Made a half-crap spore print also.

○ attached the following image(s):
14570352_10154659817421177_583369864302936062_n.jpg (121kb) downloaded 264 time(s).
14570466_10154665147586177_1770349320233383467_n.jpg (20kb) downloaded 260 time(s).

JP
#7 Posted : 11/4/2017 1:41:51 AM

DMT-Nexus member

windchime wrote:
Has anyone tried this? I've seen cultivated outdoor beds of Cubensis in the Southeast US and Cyanescens in the PNW but nothing aside from indoor grows in the Northeast US. There is a similar climate during part of the year albeit perhaps not quite as humid but it seems like it could be worth a shot especially with Cyanescens.

My hope is that an outdoor bed of wood chips inoculated with Cyanescen mycelium and kept shaded/moist might be feasible. There has been limited success reported but it would be amazing if the mushrooms somehow managed to acclimate themselves to the area and over time make themselves at home.

Is there something about the PNW that would keep them happy aside from their preferred substrate, fruiting temperature, and relative humidity or could it be as simple as relocating the spores/mycelium into a similar environment and lending a helping hand until established?

What's your USDA zone? I pack azurescens beds with straw and they survive the winter in 5A, I should note that even though I'm in 5A the temps haven't been much below 0 F since I starting growing them. I'm also just south of a huge "scary" lake that keep's the humidity very high through the cold fall.
And you will come to find that we are all one mind
Capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable.

collembola
#8 Posted : 11/18/2017 1:24:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

hello,

i used to be a member of shroomery; i saw photos from someone, digging a trench, filling with horse poo mix, seeding with mycelium, covering with woodchip and then growing really big looking cubensis (method from memory)

they will grow under correct parameters BUT i think yield pales in comparison to "indoor-tech", all the bugs and micro organisms outside and less control of environment.

shotgun fruiting chamber yield is ridiculous relatively speaking, and you can go as big as you want, so unless for fun or guerilla growing i don't think worth the effort.

downwardsfromzero
#9 Posted : 11/18/2017 2:10:20 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

collembola wrote:
hello,

i used to be a member of shroomery; i saw photos from someone, digging a trench, filling with horse poo mix, seeding with mycelium, covering with woodchip and then growing really big looking cubensis (method from memory)

they will grow under correct parameters BUT i think yield pales in comparison to "indoor-tech", all the bugs and micro organisms outside and less control of environment.

shotgun fruiting chamber yield is ridiculous relatively speaking, and you can go as big as you want, so unless for fun or guerilla growing i don't think worth the effort.

That won't necessarily be cubensis. There's a plethora of woodlovers which are (or at least can be) high yielding and very potent. It's far easier to grow these outdoors as fruiting chambers will tend to experience problems with mould, for one thing.

concombres wrote:
Look into psilocybe ovoideocystidiata.
Yessssssss!

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Espurrr
#10 Posted : 11/18/2017 2:28:20 PM

tatt wrote:
Wood lovers should be able to be done outdoors if timed right in the NE [also depends on the area in the NE as there can be microclimates that could favor these if you grew them].

On a sidenote last year I ran across these gymonopilus junonius cluster during late fall. First time ever finding them, will definitely return this year. All about the time of year and habitat. Ate a few of these when they had been dried - definitely psilo, definitely active.

from wikipedia
Quote:
Japanese researchers have found oligoisoprenoids, or neurotoxins in this mushroom

citation
Quote:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/003194229385335O?via%3Dihub

collembola
#11 Posted : 12/5/2017 7:19:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

downwardsfromzero wrote:
[quote=collembola]It's far easier to grow these outdoors as fruiting chambers will tend to experience problems with mould, for one thing.

no,

mold is caused by mold spores and you have more control over the environment indoors (physics), therefore literally people who have problems with mold, means there is mold spores about and not proper santisation.

where do mold spores come from in a clean environment ? (...outside from the environment).

saying that it is harder indoors then outside is completely ridiculous.

Jagube
#12 Posted : 12/5/2017 7:53:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

collembola wrote:
mold is caused by mold spores and you have more control over the environment indoors (physics), therefore literally people who have problems with mold, means there is mold spores about and not proper santisation.

where do mold spores come from in a clean environment ? (...outside from the environment).

If the presence of mold spores precluded mushroom growth, there would be not a single mushroom in nature. Nature is as dirty as it gets, yet everything in it flourishes when in the right environment.

downwardsfromzero
#13 Posted : 12/5/2017 9:58:19 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

collembola wrote:
downwardsfromzero wrote:
[quote=collembola]It's far easier to grow these outdoors as fruiting chambers will tend to experience problems with mould, for one thing.

no,

Woodlovers typically require a non-sterile substrate to initiate fruiting. This will get mouldy in an enclosed space, but outdoors various factors prevent this from happening.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."

JP
#14 Posted : 12/6/2017 12:39:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

collembola wrote:
downwardsfromzero wrote:

no,

Good luck getting the temp + humidity right for them to fruit indoors. These are not cubensis we are talking about here.
And you will come to find that we are all one mind
Capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable.

urtica
#15 Posted : 12/6/2017 5:21:42 AM

DMT-Nexus member

collembola wrote:
[quote=downwardsfromzero][quote=collembola]It's far easier to grow these outdoors as fruiting chambers will tend to experience problems with mould, for one thing.

Quote:

no,

check your attitude?

Also when you are growing mushrooms indoors you are creating a warm moist environment that you fill with a sterile substrate, which is prime to be colonized by whatever organism gets there first. If mold spores get there then you will have a contaminated grow.

Outdoor grows are not sterile, they are filled with all sorts of living organisms, so if some mold spores fall on them it is not the 100% perfect environment for those spores to germinate. If you start an outdoor bed with mycelia that is from the outdoors it will aggressively take over the bed and out compete any other organisms.

I have seen so much more contamination in indoor grows than outdoor beds.
urtica is a fictional character. nothing written by this fictional character has anything to do with reality. if urtica was real, and performing any activities that are restricted by certain governmental forces, these activities would be performed in Heaven where nothing is true & everything is permitted.

collembola
#16 Posted : 1/7/2018 8:42:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Jagube wrote:

If the presence of mold spores precluded mushroom growth, there would be not a single mushroom in nature. Nature is as dirty as it gets, yet everything in it flourishes when in the right environment.

nature is NOT "dirty" it is a system, thats why "things flourish" within the system (i.e. a stupid persons perception of "the mushrooms that made it through to fruiting"

when you grow mushrooms inside, you have control of a micro-system i.e. CAN INFLUENCE "yield" etc.....

if mold preculed fungus, then obviously... there wouldn't be mushrooms AT-ALL.

collembola
#17 Posted : 1/7/2018 8:52:51 AM

DMT-Nexus member

urtica wrote:

check your attitude?

Also when you are growing mushrooms indoors you are creating a warm moist environment that you fill with a sterile substrate, which is prime to be colonized by whatever organism gets there first. If mold spores get there then you will have a contaminated grow.

Outdoor grows are not sterile, they are filled with all sorts of living organisms, so if some mold spores fall on them it is not the 100% perfect environment for those spores to germinate. If you start an outdoor bed with mycelia that is from the outdoors it will aggressively take over the bed and out compete any other organisms.

yes, you need a "warm, moist environment" for tropical mushrooms ??? there is no point you made here ?

and then you also agreed that "there is a higher propensity of mold spores outside" for contaimination.

all you need to then do, is put 2+2 together and think "if you have one plate of food and one colony of organims eating it on one table, versus multiple colonies feeding from the a identical plate on another table".

after the organisms consume foodstuff

> weigh the mass................ (not even taking the piss with intened speices of propogation)

P.S. i don't need to check my attitude.

Rick Sanchez
#18 Posted : 1/7/2018 4:06:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I’ve seen cubensis mushrooms fruit in midwestern forests during spring and summer
Rick Sanchez is a fictional character. Anything said by Rick Sanchez is not representative of any real life events whatsoever.All posts should be regarded as fictional occurrences in imaginary dimensions.

Everything exists some of the time but nothing exists all the time.

downwardsfromzero
#19 Posted : 1/10/2018 4:52:21 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

collembola wrote:
urtica wrote:

check your attitude?

yes, you need a "warm, moist environment" for tropical mushrooms ??? there is no point you made here ?

and then you also agreed that "there is a higher propensity of mold spores outside" for contaimination.

all you need to then do, is put 2+2 together and think "if you have one plate of food and one colony of organims eating it on one table, versus multiple colonies feeding from the a identical plate on another table".

after the organisms consume foodstuff

> weigh the mass................ (not even taking the piss with intened speices of propogation)

Post a pic of your indoor, sterile grown woodlovers fruiting and we'll all be happy. Stamets' writings tend to suggest that this would be rather difficult, but by all means go ahead. (Defeats the title of the thread somewhat, however Wink )

We all know that cubensis grows well indoors, thanks.

Quote:
P.S. i don't need to check my attitude.
Just in case you change your mind:

Attitude page
Quote:
Communication is comprised of not only the explicit but also the implicit messages, which are transmitted through choice of words and general tone of speech.

This ain't the shroomery, pal.

windchime
#20 Posted : 1/17/2018 12:21:04 PM
DMT-Nexus member

tatt wrote:

spore prints are easily enough cleaned up on agar Very happy

12NEXT