We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
these ready to fruit? Options

explorer7
#1 Posted : 8/12/2017 11:06:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I've started working with Elephant Dung cubensis, thailand.
I have never seen mycelium grow so fast ... inoculated July 29 .... 13 days laters here they are.

Just wondering if you think this is the right time to fruit these? or do i wait to see the first pins in jars?
explorer7 attached the following image(s):
IMG_20170812_094034.jpg (3,146kb) downloaded 81 time(s).
IMG_20170812_094048.jpg (3,143kb) downloaded 81 time(s).
everything i write is for the purposes of creative expression and writing a science fiction novel.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

downwardsfromzero
#2 Posted : 8/12/2017 11:53:05 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Looks more than ready to me...

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

explorer7
#3 Posted : 8/13/2017 1:28:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Usually dunk for 24hours and roll ... anyone fruit without dunking?
everything i write is for the purposes of creative expression and writing a science fiction novel.

downwardsfromzero
#4 Posted : 8/13/2017 4:01:41 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Mine fruited from straight grain without casing, birthing, dunking or rolling. ZZZANGGG!

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

explorer7
#5 Posted : 8/13/2017 4:58:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Actually, just opened one of the jars with the elephant cubes, and it looks nothing like the typical cubensis I work with.

There is a "jelly" film around the grain, and the middle is not colonized.

Can anyone explain this?

Whats the rust color and the jelly

Orion
#6 Posted : 8/13/2017 9:14:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Could be metabolites from the mycelium, cubensis especially can produce a watery or jelly- like substance when colonization stops. If the middle isn't colonized it could be too early to birth the cakes. Sometimes cakes made in deeper narrow jars can become starved of oxygen after colonizing most of the way, leaving the middle and lower parts at greater risk of contamination by other fungi and especially bacteria.

How is it on the nose? Fresh mushroomy smell or is it a bit too sour ?
Art Van D'lay wrote:
Smoalk. It. And. See.

explorer7
#7 Posted : 8/13/2017 9:17:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Orion wrote:
Could be metabolites from the mycelium, cubensis especially can produce a watery or jelly- like substance when colonization stops. If the middle isn't colonized it could be too early to birth the cakes. Sometimes cakes made in deeper narrow jars can become starved of oxygen after colonizing most of the way, leaving the middle and lower parts at greater risk of contamination by other fungi and especially bacteria.

How is it on the nose? Fresh mushroomy smell or is it a bit too sour ?

I think you're spot on.
It had none of that fresh mushroom smell ... almost absent of smell
I have two other jars which I will leave colonizing and see what happens

Do you think the brown/rust color stuff on the jars is bacteria?

If so, will throw out the other jars

Orion
#8 Posted : 8/13/2017 9:30:49 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I would keep any suspicious looking cakes isolated from the rest. From what I can see in the pic the dark colour just looks like concentrated 'mycelium juice' in little concentrated pockets against the glass. I only ever got that when there was an oxygen problem, though it could be related to fighting off other organisms because bacteria can thrive better than mycelium when the oxygen is low.

If the cake has already been birthed I would wash it off and and try to fruit it away from other healthy looking ones. The fact that there's no funny smell or anything means it may not be contaminated, but it has probably stalled. It should eventually fruit as normal if there is enough colonized material. Just make sure to thoroughly rinse off the uncolonized parts if the jar has already been opened.
Art Van D'lay wrote:
Smoalk. It. And. See.