We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12
What is your favorite strain to grow? Options

dreamer042
#21 Posted : 3/10/2017 3:26:42 PM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

benzyme wrote:
c. paspali. I mastered it 6 years ago.

I was gonna come in here and echo sauSage that PE is the cube to grow, and Bancopuma that pan cyan is the shroom de exellence, then here comes benz, always 6 steps ahead of the rest of us. Cool
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

smoothmonkey
#22 Posted : 8/11/2017 4:28:47 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks so much for the inspiration guys... Trying my hand at some p. Mexicana Jalisco. Noc'in up plates tomorrow. Wish me luck Razz
असतो मा सद्गमय ।
तमसो मा ज्योतिर्गमय ।
मृत्योर्मा अमृतं गमय ।

Bancopuma
#23 Posted : 8/11/2017 11:42:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

smoothmonkey wrote:
Thanks so much for the inspiration guys... Trying my hand at some p. Mexicana Jalisco. Noc'in up plates tomorrow. Wish me luck Razz

Best of luck dude! From all I hear about them they are definitely worth the effort! I have a fully colonised litre grain jar of P. mexicana 'Jalisco' and just inoculated some P. mexicana 'Chicon Nindo' onto agar last night.

A friend over on Shroomology forum recently made a guide for how to set up an idea P. mexicana fruiting chamber, lots of good advice on here, maybe worth a look as it may prove helpful down the line:

https://www.shroomology....the-perfect-mexicana-fc/

Happy growing! Thumbs up

permatrip
#24 Posted : 11/21/2017 8:24:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Psilocybe Mexicana v. "tampanensis" good medicine.
permatrip attached the following image(s):
littleones 003.JPG (2,725kb) downloaded 299 time(s).
littleones 004.JPG (3,071kb) downloaded 299 time(s).
put your hands in my hand and together we will take on all the world

Bancopuma
#25 Posted : 11/23/2017 11:43:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Fantastic grows tseuq, permatrip and benzyme! That's the first time benz I've seen someone directly culturing Claviceps spp. for the alkaloids, very interesting stuff!! I'll be intrigued to know how things pan out with that!

I've had a very busy year with work commitments but I've been doing some mushroom growing on the side...I'm focussing on the species that are particularly highly shamanically revered...in particular P. mexicana, P. hoogshagenii 'Semperviva', and P caerulescens. I've got lots of fully colonised P. hoogshagenii jars now ready for fruiting, I have some jars of P. caerulescens liquid culture ready to do (constructing an air tight glove box for performing inoculations and mastering liquid culture tek have both really kicked up my grow game a few notches, I highly recommend interested peeps look into these).

I also have a fair few jars of colonised P. galindoi grain, and I laid some out to fruit a few weeks back...interestingly, P. galindoi (along with P. tampanensis) were recently found through genetic analyses to be sub-strain variants of P. mexicana. This is my first ever flush of my own P. galindoi...not the best flush in the world (got about 1g dry in the end)...but I cased this tray the eve before I left my home, and I've been away for almost a month now because of work obligations, and these mushrooms fruited themselves without supervision with an automated fruiting chamber set up (the guy who gifted me with a print got six flushes). My girlfriend has been keeping an eye on them but even she was away with me for a week. So I'm pretty chuffed they fruited without any supervision, but I'm hoping when I'm back home to look after them I'll get better yields. A blue LED light has been placed above the fruiting chamber to come on for a few hours a day, this being recommended for healthy fruiting of the Mexicanae by some experienced growers, hopefully that will help things along. It also shows pretty clearly that if one's setup is optimal this really isn't a hard species to grow or fruit.

Fingers crossed I can produce a flush like yours permatrip when I'm back to take care of them!! Thumbs up
Bancopuma attached the following image(s):
P. galindoi.jpg (277kb) downloaded 277 time(s).

permatrip
#26 Posted : 11/24/2017 10:01:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks Bancopuma, I pick them while young and dry for micro-dosing and the occasional journey. I think you did real good for leaving them unattended for so long. I enjoyed shareing and talking with other mushroom cultivators. I love the Nexus
put your hands in my hand and together we will take on all the world

#27 Posted : 11/25/2017 10:43:59 AM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

PE's are up there for me. I've stuck with a few of the thai strains also - koh samuis, pink buffalos, lipa yais.

smoothmonkey
#28 Posted : 1/26/2018 3:49:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Wow really nice fruits permatrip and Bancopuma! and Tseuq, what a beautiful flush of Golden Teachers! I love GT's...

I have some tamp's colonizing right now, they're producing lots of stones already and they're only about 60-70% colonized. Looking forward to trying stones out, and when I harvest those I plan on fruiting! Since you are both able to produce fruits with var. mexicana, would you mind sharing what your particular substrate and casing were?

I plan on using coir/verm/coffee/gypsum for substrate as that seems to be working out very well for my other cube grows. I'd love to hear what you guys prefer to use!

Banco, any updates on those shamanicly revered species? I'm very curious to see how they're doing, having acquired a few more species myself.

This hobby is so exciting!! Mush love...
असतो मा सद्गमय ।
तमसो मा ज्योतिर्गमय ।
मृत्योर्मा अमृतं गमय ।

Bancopuma
#29 Posted : 1/26/2018 11:39:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey duderino Smile

Thanks! I did sample 1.5g of the dry P. galindoi fruits a while back and they were really nice...the cleanest, clearest mushrooms I have ever eaten, very easy on one's system, no body load and a more gentle and less in one's face than Pan cyans.

I've got lots of P. galindoi jars standing by now with lots of sclerotia forming...I've been really busy with work commitments and haven't been at home where my mushrooms are for some time but will be back there a week from now semi permanently and am intent on getting growing again. I have lots of fully colonised P. galindoi and P. hoogshagenii 'Semperviva' jars standing by I need to lay out in the FC and fruit. Then I'm going to start off some P. mexicana 'Chicon Nindo' and 'Jalisco' on agar, and grow them side by side to compare the strains...my priority species now are P. mexicana and P. hoogshagenii 'Semperviva'...the mushrooms from both species are very highly revered and cherished by both indigenous Mexican groups and western growers alike. I was expecting a little more potency from the P. galindoi fruits and I've heard the P. mexicana fruits are more potent. Personally my main focus is the mushrooms themselves, the sclerotia is just a nice side bonus.

I've been using either whole oats or a mixture of whole oats/rye grain/rye grass seed, with a pinch of bran, calci-sand and gypsum. I've been trying to emulate this Mexicana grow here...check out this guy's yields for Mexicana. I changed the ratios a bit for my grows and use more whole oats as they are the cheapest bulk grain I have access to. I've never heard of any yields approaching this for any other Psilocybe species bar P. cubensis and the wood lovers.

https://mycotopia.net/to...xicana-var-chicon-nindo/

Your substrate sounds good though dude...a friend on Shroomology forum used a similar substrate for his Mexicana 'Jalisco' grow and got good results...he's written up a great Mexicana grow guide (linked below).

https://www.shroomology....=comments#comment-131652

Casing wise, a peat moss:calci-sand casing in a 4:1 ratio (with 1/4 verimculite optional) comes recommended...the Mexicana seem to respond well to the calci-sand in the casing layer.

Happy growing...peace & blissings! Thumbs up

JuremaSpaceship
#30 Posted : 1/26/2018 11:50:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I just picked up some bags of sterilized grain (milo/millet) very cheap. I hear they colonize very quickly. They come with self healing injection ports and a filter on the top. For bulk substrate I plan to use a mixture of coco coir and vermiculite in a sterilite tub. I'm very excited to begin the process as this will be my first grow ever! I chose to go with golden teacher for my first grows. I have 7 10cc spore syringes so I'll be all set for a while.
Rug•Wall•Ceiling•People•Fruit•Music

smoothmonkey
#31 Posted : 1/26/2018 10:54:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
https://mycotopia.net/to...icana-var-chicon-nindo/

Shocked Incredible... Hopefully I'll get there one day. Playing around with isolation is still a bit intimidating to me. Finally got the agar work down but isolating seems like it takes forever, having to fruit isolates and verify their worth and all. I still put up a lot of resistance when anticipating SAB work for some reason. My dream lab shall manifest some day...

Thanks for the references Banco, as always! I'm with you on the fruits, i can't wait to try some if these mexicana strains. They seem like an enjoyable experience all around... My interest lies in the shamanic species as well, using this beautiful medicine for healing journeys. Can't wait to see what you produce!

I recently made the switch to whole oats from WBS myself and I'll never go back. So much easier and quicker to prepare and the myc seems to eat them up more preferably too.

Interesting about the sand added into the mix. Do you think regular old playsand and calcium carbonate would be an ok substitute for the calci-sand? I don't have a problem buying that but just curious since I already have the other two.

Do you have any experience with outdoor species? I recently acquired some p. subaeroginosa and p. azurescens which i've got going on agar now - planning on inoculating a patch in my backyard with the azures and i guess subs grow on pine needles, so i'm planning to inoculate many of the suitable areas nearby that get frequent watering as soon as i have some spawn ready. This seems like a whole other ball game though, getting myc going on cardboard/wood chips before introducing them to their outdoor environment.

Jurema, good luck with the GT's. Patience, hard work, and awareness pays off! Pleased
असतो मा सद्गमय ।
तमसो मा ज्योतिर्गमय ।
मृत्योर्मा अमृतं गमय ।

tseuq
#32 Posted : 1/27/2018 9:13:29 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you, guys!

smoothmonkey wrote:
..are able to produce fruits with var. mexicana, would you mind sharing what your particular substrate and casing were?

Here are some older pictures, I've already posted them somewhere on the nexus, of my last "P.mexicana casing grow", which was initiated after the sclerotia were harvested.

I used the same substrate (100% organic rye - precooked) like in my other cubensis grows and to cover the surface, I used pasteurized soil. The crux seems to get decent prints!

smoothmonkey wrote:
Mush love...

Love

tseuq
Everything's sooo peyote-ful..

Bancopuma
#33 Posted : 1/27/2018 12:08:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey smoothmonkey,

Yeah I've not experimented with strain isolation, personally. I've got my agar tek down, and more recently have mastered liquid culture tek using a glove box which has really kicked my growing game up a notch, particularly when it comes to these exotic Psilocybe species, helps speed things up a bit. I'm looking forward to getting growing next week. I too moved on to whole oats from WBS and will also never go back. Way less messy to work with, and oats are a nutritious grain the Mexicanae seem to love. They also seem a little more forgiving regarding moisture than some other grains. Millet which JuremaSpaceship is using is another grain I've heard great things about, nutritious and seems to produce potent flushes...a much more expensive grain to obtain than oats here in the UK though.

Sand wise, you'll probably get along fine mixing the two. The grower behind that amazing flush I linked previously recommended using a little in the substrate as well as in the casing, they seem to like it.

I recently acquired some spore prints of some outdoor Psilocybes I've yet to do anything with. I did try and inoculate a bed of alder chips in my garden with P. cyanescens a few years back but I wasn't successful at the time. I know it can be done though as a year last December I randomly stumbled into a wild patch of P. cyanescens growing on a woodchip bed literally a stone's throw from where I live and work. Would be cool to have an outdoor bed of Psilocybes...a future project for sure.

Keep in touch regarding your Mexicana grows, I'll be interested to see how you get on...I'll update this thread when mine are fruiting.

Hey tseuq,

Amazing grow dude, great job! Thumbs up Are you able to link that grow thread? I couldn't find it anywhere via the search bar. Did you get round to sampling them? Curious to know how you found them, experientially. Great to hear you got some good prints from them too. What Mexicana strain did you grow?

smoothmonkey
#34 Posted : 11/20/2018 12:23:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

A few days ago I harvested sclerotia from 8 quart jars of p. mexicana v. tampanensis that have been sitting in my closet for almost a year now, and thought i'd post the results: 309g of stones! The remaining grain mycelium was spawned to a mono tub using the aforementioned substrate mix with 2T of calci-sand added. I plan on using the casing recommended by Banco once it's fully colonized. Very exciting!!

[EDIT] Finally able to get some fruits from these tampenensis. Mono tub performed poorly, which was actually a blessing because it forced me to build a mini-gh and re-instilled some motivation about the hobby. I plan on trying my hand at a few more of the aforementioned species and reporting back on my own favorite. For now, happy growing!
smoothmonkey attached the following image(s):
IMG_2184.JPG (1,995kb) downloaded 84 time(s).
IMG_2234.JPG (2,451kb) downloaded 41 time(s).
IMG_2233.JPG (2,648kb) downloaded 41 time(s).
असतो मा सद्गमय ।
तमसो मा ज्योतिर्गमय ।
मृत्योर्मा अमृतं गमय ।

PREV12