We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
VR and Psychedelics Options

woogyboogy
#1 Posted : 7/3/2017 3:05:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Article

Just read this article about the possibility of combining Virtual Reality and Psychedelics for Therapy.

Interesting, and possibly controversial combination.

Thoughts?

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Global
#2 Posted : 7/4/2017 12:16:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Music, LSDMT, Egyptian Visions, DMT: Energetic/Holographic Phenomena, Integration, Trip Reports

I see the obvious potential here for the combination to create confusion. In a full blown psychedelic reverie, it can be easy to get swept up into the experience to the extent where you may forget where you are to begin with. When you couple this with the extra layer of VR, things could get pretty nutty. At the same time, I'm pretty curious as well. I would be interested to see how the altering of visual effects applies in VR.
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind" - Albert Einstein

"The Mighty One appears, the horizon shines. Atum appears on the smell of his censing, the Sunshine- god has risen in the sky, the Mansion of the pyramidion is in joy and all its inmates are assembled, a voice calls out within the shrine, shouting reverberates around the Netherworld." - Egyptian Book of the Dead

"Man fears time, but time fears the Pyramids" - 9th century Arab proverb

woogyboogy
#3 Posted : 7/10/2017 5:00:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I would definitly try it as well if Id have access to some proper VR.
Considering the intent of it being therapeutic... Im not so sure. Isnt the great thing about psyches that they give you some kind of mirror and often seem to show you what you need to see? With VR the focus would probably be to induce certain to personal history relevant scenarious and then let the person go through that with the altered perspective with the hope that some change gets triggered. However VR is just visual input, I can imagine that while under the influence of psychedelics it would be obviously unreal as some things are missing. The general vibe so to speak that one gets from persons and object while on psyches, that seems to be a combination of various sensorial inputs, would be missing here.

Naut
#4 Posted : 8/6/2017 9:55:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I agree with Global in that VR superimposed over turbulent psychedelic experiences could create confusion. But really who knows what kind of exotic finds can be achieved through doing this, (therapeutic intent or not) as high fidelity VR is just climbing out of its cradle. It'd be wonderful to get a collection of people's experiences combining these two things at varying doses... Alexandre Tomic's referenced response was rather vague anyways. I used to own the HTC Vive, I wasn't too compelled to try this out but in retrospect I should've gave it a shot with a lower dose of fungi.
my loopy guess is that t. mckenna is off hopping about hyperspace wielding a butterfly net analog, all the while collecting the most peculiar.

RhythmSpring
#5 Posted : 8/6/2017 11:10:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

VR gives me the creeps.

Why mess with what is already so effective? Psychedelics is a kind of VR experience, already tailored to the individual using them.
From the unspoken
Grows the once broken

Psilociraptor
#6 Posted : 8/6/2017 11:16:51 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I don't know about for therapy... but i would love to combine the two for fun. Would have to have someone watch me to keep from literally "tripping face"

Psilosopher?
#7 Posted : 8/7/2017 12:45:28 AM

Don't Panic

RhythmSpring wrote:
VR gives me the creeps.

This, this and this again.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."

universecannon
#8 Posted : 8/7/2017 3:24:06 AM

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

Check out Android Jones microdose VR...its an art making program. It's unbelievable and combines well with psychedelics.

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"