We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12
The Aphex Twin thread Options

DMTripper
#21 Posted : 3/4/2015 11:51:17 PM

John Murdoch IV

I listened A LOT to the Classics album and a bit of the Selected Ambient works but I didn't like any of this other stuff.

I think I didn't like any stuff he released after '95 or so Razz But absolutely love the earlier works Smile
––––––

DMTripper is a fictional character therefore everything he says here must be fiction.
I mean, who really believes there is such a place as Hyperspace!!

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Elpo
#22 Posted : 5/5/2015 10:59:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Just wanted to up this topic as it seems to be very actual.
Today he went over 200 tracks on the soundcloud page and there are some beauties.

Also there is this shout out on the page that the Nexians will absoulutely love:

"Epic shout out's to Terrance mckenna,
Robert Anton Wilson,
Alan watts!"

I wonder if he has any dmt inspired tracks?

"It permits you to see, more clearly than our perishing mortal eye can see, vistas beyond the horizons of this life, to travel backwards and forwards in time, to enter other planes of existence, even (as the Indians say) to know God." R. Gordon Wasson

Dead man
#23 Posted : 5/6/2015 12:10:14 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Elpo wrote:
Just wanted to up this topic as it seems to be very actual.
Today he went over 200 tracks on the soundcloud page and there are some beauties.

Also there is this shout out on the page that the Nexians will absoulutely love:

"Epic shout out's to Terrance mckenna,
Robert Anton Wilson,
Alan watts!"

I wonder if he has any dmt inspired tracks?

Thanks for the heads up! I'm suprised he hasn't started using soundcloud sooner.
On another note John Frusciante (ex-guitarist red hot chili peppers) recently released an album under trickfinger that is quite aphexesque. Obviously a lot less complex, but nice straight forward listening.
He who sees the infinite in all things sees God. He who sees the ratio only sees himself only. -William Blake There is no natural religion.
People in the past never lived in ecological balance with nature, they died in ecological balance with nature -Hans Rosling
Nothing is something worth doing -Sphongle

Lichen
#24 Posted : 5/6/2015 6:59:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Very big Richard D James fan right here.

Not sure where it all started, I feel like I'd always heard of Aphex when I was younger - probably through 'come to daddy'. I remember another favourite band of mine, The Dillinger Escape Plan, did a cover of this song and pushed me a little bit closer to checking him out with a bit more attention.

I came across the Chris Cunningham video, Rubber Johnny, and this made it very clear that RDJ was something that was right up my alley.

Downloaded the discography (sue me) back in 2010, and didn't really know where to start - the older stuff sounded 'dated' and didn't really know how to frame it in my mind - at this point I didn't know anything about synthesizers, modular synths, "acid" and such; I didn't know how any of this music was created (music should be music no matter how it's created - but somehow knowing the process of it's creation adds another dimension of understanding and enjoyment).

Anyhow, I got mega high on BHO one night and chose an album purely at random and I chose 'Analord 1' and listened to 'grumpy acid' and 'stepping filter 101' and was sold immediately. I distinctly remember feeling like the synth in 'stepping filter 101' was talking - and to me it still sounds heavily like the rhythm, and the up-and-downy-ness of human speech. Very clever stuff.

The entire analord series remains one of my favourite compositions of music, and some of my favourite stuff through all of Richard's work; I have a number of them on viynl but would love the complete set. There is definately an element to his music which is extremely distinct, unique and completely immune to imitation; a sign, imo, of very high quality composition.

After this I basically started working my way back through his music and now love it all.

Not sure why, but probably more to do with personal circumstance, it took me some time to fully appreciate and enjoy the richness(!) and diversity that is The Tuss. Some of those tracks are absolutely spectacular and I still have moments where I notice gems I had never previously noticed (The Tuss - Last Rushup 10 - that section starting around 3.00 - I'd love to know what the vocoded vocals are saying). The Tuss is particularly good to listen to with nitrous oxide. Especially parts like 3.30 in 'Fredugolon 6' on the Confederation Trough EP - totally mental.

I saw him live in 2011 at Bloc Festival in the UK and had the strongest LSD trip of my life - it was unreal and there are no words, and I have literally been a changed person from that day forth. The trip report I ended up writing was absolutely monumental - thousands of words.

I was pretty excited when Syro came out, as I feel RDJ never disappoints and I am always interested to see what he can do next.

I think Syro is great album, and I still don't think I have fully explored it's depth. Two friends and I listened to it on mushrooms a few months ago, and it's a very fond memory - especially the last piano track 'aisatsana' (aisatsana is anastasia backwards; allegedly his partners' name) with the birds in the background and that everpresent tape hiss.

In fact, this tape hiss was my one big gripe about the album; as I can hear it on every track, and I can't help but find myself fixating on it. I am more of headphones, totally immersed, type music listener - especially if I'm tripping and I find the tape hiss and the flat dynamics of the whole record somewhat distracting - my loss, I guess - I love the music, just have a different personal taste regarding the mastering and wish it was mastered with clarity of his other releases.

When the soundcloud account stuff started, I couldn't believe it - it was like dream come true and was a pretty exciting time to be an aphex fan. I've listened to a lot of it, certainly not all of it, and I think it's going to keep me busy for some time. There are some absolute gems on there, but I'm a little uncertain of their track titles. 'Red Calx [slo]' is a fav, as is 'japan', '[Slo]w early morning clissold sunrise', and 'Jonny Hawkes Broken Guitar' - but there's heaps more! I haven't even had a chance to listen to the latest release of tracks.

I would love to know the dates each composition was made, so I came frame it all a lot better for myself - 200+ tracks is a lot to put into perspective and appreciate and I need some form of heuristic to get my head around it easier.

Oh, and my username is deeply inspired by that beautiful track of the same name.

I found this video on youtube a few months after my best friend (and I, him) committed suicide, and it moves me very deeply. I'm not sure who the guys in the video are, but I hope they are good friends still, the way my friend and I once were.

I am a piece of knowledge-retaining computer code imitating an imaginary organic being.

Elpo
#25 Posted : 5/6/2015 9:36:49 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Lichen wrote:
Very big Richard D James fan right here.

Not sure where it all started, I feel like I'd always heard of Aphex when I was younger - probably through 'come to daddy'. I remember another favourite band of mine, The Dillinger Escape Plan, did a cover of this song and pushed me a little bit closer to checking him out with a bit more attention.

I came across the Chris Cunningham video, Rubber Johnny, and this made it very clear that RDJ was something that was right up my alley.

Downloaded the discography (sue me) back in 2010, and didn't really know where to start - the older stuff sounded 'dated' and didn't really know how to frame it in my mind - at this point I didn't know anything about synthesizers, modular synths, "acid" and such; I didn't know how any of this music was created (music should be music no matter how it's created - but somehow knowing the process of it's creation adds another dimension of understanding and enjoyment).

Anyhow, I got mega high on BHO one night and chose an album purely at random and I chose 'Analord 1' and listened to 'grumpy acid' and 'stepping filter 101' and was sold immediately. I distinctly remember feeling like the synth in 'stepping filter 101' was talking - and to me it still sounds heavily like the rhythm, and the up-and-downy-ness of human speech. Very clever stuff.

The entire analord series remains one of my favourite compositions of music, and some of my favourite stuff through all of Richard's work; I have a number of them on viynl but would love the complete set. There is definately an element to his music which is extremely distinct, unique and completely immune to imitation; a sign, imo, of very high quality composition.

After this I basically started working my way back through his music and now love it all.

Not sure why, but probably more to do with personal circumstance, it took me some time to fully appreciate and enjoy the richness(!) and diversity that is The Tuss. Some of those tracks are absolutely spectacular and I still have moments where I notice gems I had never previously noticed (The Tuss - Last Rushup 10 - that section starting around 3.00 - I'd love to know what the vocoded vocals are saying). The Tuss is particularly good to listen to with nitrous oxide. Especially parts like 3.30 in 'Fredugolon 6' on the Confederation Trough EP - totally mental.

I saw him live in 2011 at Bloc Festival in the UK and had the strongest LSD trip of my life - it was unreal and there are no words, and I have literally been a changed person from that day forth. The trip report I ended up writing was absolutely monumental - thousands of words.

I was pretty excited when Syro came out, as I feel RDJ never disappoints and I am always interested to see what he can do next.

I think Syro is great album, and I still don't think I have fully explored it's depth. Two friends and I listened to it on mushrooms a few months ago, and it's a very fond memory - especially the last piano track 'aisatsana' (aisatsana is anastasia backwards; allegedly his partners' name) with the birds in the background and that everpresent tape hiss.

In fact, this tape hiss was my one big gripe about the album; as I can hear it on every track, and I can't help but find myself fixating on it. I am more of headphones, totally immersed, type music listener - especially if I'm tripping and I find the tape hiss and the flat dynamics of the whole record somewhat distracting - my loss, I guess - I love the music, just have a different personal taste regarding the mastering and wish it was mastered with clarity of his other releases.

When the soundcloud account stuff started, I couldn't believe it - it was like dream come true and was a pretty exciting time to be an aphex fan. I've listened to a lot of it, certainly not all of it, and I think it's going to keep me busy for some time. There are some absolute gems on there, but I'm a little uncertain of their track titles. 'Red Calx [slo]' is a fav, as is 'japan', '[Slo]w early morning clissold sunrise', and 'Jonny Hawkes Broken Guitar' - but there's heaps more! I haven't even had a chance to listen to the latest release of tracks.

I would love to know the dates each composition was made, so I came frame it all a lot better for myself - 200+ tracks is a lot to put into perspective and appreciate and I need some form of heuristic to get my head around it easier.

Oh, and my username is deeply inspired by that beautiful track of the same name.

I found this video on youtube a few months after my best friend (and I, him) committed suicide, and it moves me very deeply. I'm not sure who the guys in the video are, but I hope they are good friends still, the way my friend and I once were.

Hi Lichen (your nickname is an amazing track of his),

Thanks for you post, it is nice to see how you got into it. For me it all started with the Richard D. James album which I guess is still my favourite Aphex album. Four is just such a nice track and I have a very special connection through as I first heard it together with my best friend who passed away a few years ago. Every time I hear it I think of us two in that room, only 16 years old...

The thing I love about Aphex is that everything he makes is so different, so versatile, which can especially be noticed on the Soundcloud. Still now I find new sounds when listening to tracks I've already heard hundreds of times, as is with Syro which I liked from the start, but now am really digging. There is indeed such a depth in his music, which is hard to find, and still a lot of emotion in it.

As you mentioned the The Tuss is very very special indeed, my fav is Rushup I bank 12. I just love that song, it boosts me every time.

As for the Soundcloud there are some crazy gems, especially the last few he posted yesterday are really precious.

The funny thing is I saw him live in 2002 while I was on mushrooms, I remember being flabbergasted by the sounds he was making... Absolutely out of this world!!! Smile

I hadn't seen the clip you posted, thanks for that it's really great! It reminds me of the relationship I had with my friend. It's weird how life flows on and some things stay with us all along, while others just change continuously. Today is exactly 3 years I have to miss him...

Sorry for the emotional ending, just a bit difficult for me at the moment.

"It permits you to see, more clearly than our perishing mortal eye can see, vistas beyond the horizons of this life, to travel backwards and forwards in time, to enter other planes of existence, even (as the Indians say) to know God." R. Gordon Wasson

Lichen
#26 Posted : 5/11/2015 12:39:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Elpo,

4 is such a great track - a perfect example of that richard d james 'dewy morning' sound - I just can't explain it.

Syro just keeps opening up more and more to me - have you listened to any of the slowed down versions of some of the tracks?

This is more or less a slowed down version of Syro's "CIRCLONT6A (syrobonkus mix)" - but I'm sure there are some differences even if it were sped up:

'Rushup I bank 12' is great, awesome dance track to get pumped up to - awesome drive behind the track. How about "Synthacon 9"? That bit at 2:30 with the vocoded section I've only just begun to appreciate; sounds like "love love love to the laptop..." the whole thing sounds like a poem I once heard years ago but forgot where I heard it - I feel like I know what it's saying but I can't repeat it. It's all so good.

Flabbergasted is pretty much how I would describe my experience, seeing aphex play live as welll. I simply could not believe the sounds he was creating - he finished the set with about 30+ mins of noise and white noise - it was un-real.

Don't be sorry for remembering your friend - be happy for what you once had and hold on to those memories forever in anyway you can, and celebrate their life at every occassion.
I am a piece of knowledge-retaining computer code imitating an imaginary organic being.

wesker
#27 Posted : 5/12/2015 8:35:00 AM

DMT-Nexus member

i recognize aphex twin as a master at analog music production, but i just cant stand what he do not because i dont like it but he uses several frecuencies and sounds that i just cant tolerate.

my gf loves aphex twin and there was one time she played i dont know what song of aphex while we smoked salvia and when we woke up i was trying to rip off the ps4 of the tv just to stop the song, it was awful, because of this i know i really cant hear his music not because i dont want to but because it makes me feel uncomfortable.

this applies to bjork, pink floyd and aphex twin, this is very weird because i love IDM kind of music and he is one of the pioners.

sometimes it makes me confused.

also ive made this song which is a little bit like aphex https://soundcloud.com/rvxiii/redshift-hen-korm weirdweirdweird Confused
"If I dont know you, you don´t exist."

Elpo
#28 Posted : 5/16/2015 7:37:44 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Lichen, thanks a lot for your nice comment I appreciate it.
Synthacon 9 is absolutely great!!
Of the Soundcloud dump I love 24 Tsim, that is one amazing track.
Also very excited that he answered my question about knowing Paul Stamets Smile

Wesker, I actually know what you mean, there are some of his songs which I can only listen to in very specific occasions because they have this weird feel to them. What I did is look up all the other beautiful pieces he made and then the other ones have grown on me over time.
Like Ventolin for example, at first it seems random noise, but after a few listens you can see there is much more to it.

Swarupa
#29 Posted : 5/16/2015 9:26:52 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for reminding me to brush up on the Twin, i didn't even have the first Ambient Works album in my collection! Listening now and it's got some of his sweetest sounds on there Smile

hug46
#30 Posted : 5/16/2015 10:02:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Lichen is a belting ambient tune.

The first album i bought by him was selected ambient works vol 1 when it came out (on cassette) and i remember being baffled as to how someone so young could produce music with such scope and maturity.

I have to agree that the richard d james album is one of my faves. I also like Isoprophlex. I don"t know whether it is just me but there is something very quintessentially british on his take on electronic music. Especially songs like fingerbib and girl boy song.

Saw him in about 98 with Luke Vibert dj-ing i think (it was all a bit of a blur during those years) with loads of giant teddy bears dancing on stage and met him once down the pub when i lived in Cornwall. He seemed like a very pleasant and approachable young man.

Elpo
#31 Posted : 8/1/2017 6:48:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I thought it was about time to revive this thread with the whole new Aphex Warp store and everything:

https://aphextwin.warp.net/

Lovely tunes, lovely extras, some new some old... What more do you need.
Let the Aphex madness continue!

5 Dimensional Nick
#32 Posted : 10/12/2017 3:27:11 PM

"Full of multiversal flow!"

Selected Ambient Works 85:92 is one of the most ahead of its time albums EVER.

It also formulated the backdrop to many of my first psychedelic experiences around the turn of the millennium. It is so mindbogglingly, soul touchingly awesome. The man's a total don. PEACE.
"Anonymous around the mouse, hyperspace black ops in my house,
A technical itch you can't ignore, viral like that magic spore,
Laced in life like a blockchain, special characters around my name,
They got game like Nintendo flow, it's always the same you will know,
I can't be pinned down like a Q-Bit, my architecture all neuromorphic,
On the roof if the internet had one, fire escape's fibre optic dragon." Onepacman

downwardsfromzero
#33 Posted : 10/13/2017 2:42:33 AM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

Funny, I dragged that one out last week after it sitting years on the shelf! Brought back memories of times gone by like you say...

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

teotenakeltje
#34 Posted : 10/13/2017 11:24:38 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Aphex twin is a genius!

I love his singing on the track 'minipops' from the Syro album, so complex and catchy at the same time.

UgraKarma
#35 Posted : 10/9/2018 4:30:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The new material is absolutely perfect, totally and unmistakably Aphex Twin through and through. In fact, I'm surprised the T69 Collapse music video hasn't been mentioned yet...(very hyperspace indeed.)

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents." -lovecraft

Elpo
#36 Posted : 10/9/2018 6:43:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

UgraKarma wrote:
The new material is absolutely perfect, totally and unmistakably Aphex Twin through and through. In fact, I'm surprised the T69 Collapse music video hasn't been mentioned yet...(very hyperspace indeed.)

Totally agree. The new EP is just finger licking good!

Nitegazer
#37 Posted : 10/9/2018 8:39:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Great to hear them still evolving. Thank you!

PREV12