We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Cleaning adulterants from naphtha - where would the spice go? Options

TimePantry
#1 Posted : 7/29/2017 10:58:59 AM

It's a field.

I have some naphtha that is adulterated with whatever crap they're putting in it these days.

I understand that this crap can be removed by washing the solvent with a strong base, followed by a strong acid.

My question: If I have some solvent which has spice in it, and I wash it with vinegar, where would the spice end up? Would it stay in the solvent, or go with the vinegar?
"What's wrong with that generation? ... Is this what comes of putting on Pink Floyd laser lightshows down at the Planetarium?" --Spider Robinson

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Emptiness
#2 Posted : 7/29/2017 11:28:30 AM
DMT-Nexus member

The DMT would convert to acetate form and move in to the acidic water with everything else. Are you absolutely sure your naphtha is contaminated with something? What brand is it?

TimePantry
#3 Posted : 7/30/2017 2:06:30 PM

It's a field.

Yes. There is a post on here somewhere wherein somebody said that they had sent a sample to be analyzed, and that analysis showed that it "was adulterated with a substance which may be removed by washing in a strong base followed by a strong acid" or something to that effect.

Basically, it causes the solvent to never evaporate fully out of the spice, even when bone-dry. The spice will actually catch fire sometimes.

This has happened with both VM&P and Gam-sol.
"What's wrong with that generation? ... Is this what comes of putting on Pink Floyd laser lightshows down at the Planetarium?" --Spider Robinson

endlessness
#4 Posted : 7/30/2017 3:13:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Can you please find the post you refer to? I'd love to know about what substance was found in the dirty naphtha DMT. Are you using the same naphtha as them, or how do you know yours is adulterated?

Also, did you do an evap test on your solvent? That should be able to give you a good idea if there is indeed something in your naphtha or not.

And if you know your naphtha is 'dirty', why use it in the first place? Or if no other naphtha is an option, why not clean it before you do the pull?

If I had already some DMT mixed with some dirty naphtha that I had been unaware about, what I would do is to salt it out with FASW, wash the fumarates with acetone/IPA, make paste with the fumarates and sodium carb and pull with acetone/ipa, then precipitate with FASA/FASI, wash again with IPA/acetone, then convert to freebase..

Alternatively if you dont have any other solvent, then make sure to clean up a batch of it with base/acid washing, and then you can extract your DMT with it, but instead of evapping/freezing, you can salt out with an acid and evap/dry the salt, then mix it with sodium carb+water to make paste, and use this method to wash away the inactive salts and leave your DMT behind:

https://wiki.dmt-nexus.m...tion#Freebase_Conversion

nonononono
#5 Posted : 7/30/2017 5:41:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Sounds like this thread: https://www.dmt-nexus.me...aspx?g=posts&t=70738

Discussion of the recovered salts start around post #50

nonononono
#6 Posted : 7/30/2017 5:45:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

TimePantry wrote:
This has happened with both VM&P and Gam-sol.

Gamsol is a heavy naphtha, and will by its nature take a long time to evaporate. Most teks call for light naphtha for this reason.